News   Jun 27, 2024
 326     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 616     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 393     0 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

I was shocked when our 16,000 sq ft Plaza Escada closed here in Vancouver. It has since moved to a much smaller (and permanent) location at 710 Thurlow Street in our alleged "luxury zone" (which includes Canada's first Dollar Tree store and Michael's Crafts, LOL). I'd be surprised if our new Escada store is even 3000 square feet... so the tentative Toronto location might be permanent.

Escada locations used to be large because they were intended to be 'multi-brand' stores owned by the Escada umbrella. The multi-brand umbrella no longer exists, so the Escada monobrand doesn't need so much space:

"When the property, known as Escada Plaza, first opened in 1991, the retailer leased a bigger space with ambitions of launching new product lines that never materialized. Ultimately, space was subleased back to the landlord and to other tenants, according to the court filing."

Source: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.c...gown-retailer-escada-may-close-mag-mile-store

Sorry, I didn't realize that the 16,000 square footer had closed. When I walked by the Thrulow Street location it looked big from the outside - maybe because it wraps around the corner?? At any rate, the consensus seems to be that Escada is struggling so maybe this isn't such a shock to those in the know. The new Toronto store will be permanent - well as long as Escada remains profitable I suppose.

Thanks for the Chicago story - interesting.

Here's what most likely is a very silly question / observation:

When I walk on Bloor, I never find the stores themselves that busy (particularly in the winter), the sidewalks are but the stores aren't. I never see many people in any of the very high end stores ?

To be honest its the same in other cities like Chicago from what I recall, how do they make money given the astronomical rents!

When I walk on Bloor, I never find the stores themselves that busy (particularly in the winter), the sidewalks are but the stores aren't. I never see many people in any of the very high end stores ?

To be honest its the same in other cities like Chicago from what I recall, how do they make money given the astronomical rents!

Extremely high mark ups?
After all you're paying more for the name then you are for the quality.

Often times high street locations can be loss leaders for brands that know they are getting the exposure so that there product does well in other locations - department stores, mall locations, etc.

And, yes, markups are nuts! It doesn't take much to pay rent when you can sell a $25,000 watch at Montblanc. I will say that LV, Chanel, Gucci, Tiffany, Cartier, Royal de Versaille, Hermes, and Burberry are always pretty consistently busy.

A lot of these stores may also sell to private clients who come in and drop $20k. The private sales rooms at Holts have to sell a minimum of $1million. There are 8 of them. Often times people come in 4 times a year and drop $25k each time on their fall, spring, winter and summer wardrobe... We the peons who shop on Saturday afternoons aren't really the bread and butter for high end stores :)

Bloor st sidewalks are pretty busy because of the nice mix of high-end and mid level retail. I wouldn't want Bloor to become all ultra high-end shops. I find most high-end streets like Oak St in Chicago, Shops at Bal Harbour in Florida and even Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, rather quiet compared to Bloor st. I don't find the high-end stores on Bloor that busy either, even Harry Rosens is never that busy, but as already pointed out they don't have to be packed everyday to make money! The salesman i used to deal with at Harry Rosen, told me, he had a few "elite" clients he sold over 30 thousand dollars worth of apparel to them every year!

A lot of these stores may also sell to private clients who come in and drop $20k. The private sales rooms at Holts have to sell a minimum of $1million. There are 8 of them. Often times people come in 4 times a year and drop $25k each time on their fall, spring, winter and summer wardrobe... We the peons who shop on Saturday afternoons aren't really the bread and butter for high end stores :)

So true...a $200 purchase once a quarter, or the 50% off clearance at Harry Rosen is not going to count for much.
I remember a few years ago I saw a diamond encrusted watch at Birks for $250K and when I asked who in the world would buy that kind of watch, without even flinching she told me that when rappers, actors, celebrities in general are in town you would be surprised what they buy. She told me that same watch sold the previous month to a rapper in town for a concert.

I'm really hoping that Toronto sees an Omega boutique open up soon - perhaps in the new Four Seasons. Vancouver's Olympic boutique is still open, but what's truly alarming is the Omega boutiques in the U.S. Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis???? Seriously?? I can't think of three more economically depressed cities in the U.S.
Did Omega go on a blind boutique opening craze in the States recently or have those always been around?

I'm really hoping that Toronto sees an Omega boutique open up soon - perhaps in the new Four Seasons. Vancouver's Olympic boutique is still open, but what's truly alarming is the Omega boutiques in the U.S. Detroit, Pittsburgh, St. Louis???? Seriously?? I can't think of three more economically depressed cities in the U.S.
Did Omega go on a blind boutique opening craze in the States recently or have those always been around?

When Omega opened here in Vancouver before the 2010 Winter Olympics, it was the second location in North America (according to their website - I checked). Other locations mentioned have opened since then.

I was shocked when our Omega store tripled in size a few months ago. It's obviously doing well... initially the lease was set to terminate 3 months after the Olympics, according to sales staff.

I'll bet you see one open in Yorkdale Mall in the next year, lol.

When Omega opened here in Vancouver before the 2010 Winter Olympics, it was the second location in North America (according to their website - I checked). Other locations mentioned have opened since then.

I was shocked when our Omega store tripled in size a few months ago. It's obviously doing well... initially the lease was set to terminate 3 months after the Olympics, according to sales staff.

I'll bet you see one open in Yorkdale Mall in the next year, lol.

Omega is not considered high end though to be on bloor. High end watches, breitling, audemar piguet, Patek Phillip, Rolex, IWC, etc... U can find omega at pretty much any watch boutique in a mall. We have Rolex within royal de Versailles, and I heard here that bristling is going inside the four seasons.

Omega is not considered high end though to be on bloor. High end watches, breitling, audemar piguet, Patek Phillip, Rolex, IWC, etc... U can find omega at pretty much any watch boutique in a mall. We have Rolex within royal de Versailles, and I heard here that bristling is going inside the four seasons.

I agree that Omega shouldn't be on Bloor, but somewhere in that area. I think vancouverguy is right though - it will likely be Yorkdale in the expansion. It just seems odd to open so agressively in, what I would deem, very questionable locations. Talk about cheapening a brand when you open in Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh. I also heard Breitling is moving into the Four Seasons, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Would be nice to see some of those other brands open up in Yorkville.

It's funny, when you take a look at some of these brands' websites and the retailers that sell them, Toronto often has one of the largest distribution networks in N.A. It makes me wonder how other cities see stand-alone boutiques before we do. I know I've said that a lot, but it will continue to boggle my mind ;)

I agree that Omega shouldn't be on Bloor, but somewhere in that area. I think vancouverguy is right though - it will likely be Yorkdale in the expansion. It just seems odd to open so agressively in, what I would deem, very questionable locations. Talk about cheapening a brand when you open in Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh. I also heard Breitling is moving into the Four Seasons, but nothing has been confirmed yet. Would be nice to see some of those other brands open up in Yorkville.

It's funny, when you take a look at some of these brands' websites and the retailers that sell them, Toronto often has one of the largest distribution networks in N.A. It makes me wonder how other cities see stand-alone boutiques before we do. I know I've said that a lot, but it will continue to boggle my mind ;)

ACT7: I seriously think that u should call briar de Lange and ask these questions. Being a part of the BIA she should know these things. What ya think???
I'm sure she'd have the answers!!!!

ACT7: I seriously think that u should call briar de Lange and ask these questions. Being a part of the BIA she should know these things. What ya think???
I'm sure she'd have the answers!!!!

Kind'a sounded sarcastic...
I have contacted Briar de Lange in the past and she hasn't replied to a single email...classy. So I've given up on her.

Back