News   Jun 28, 2024
 3.9K     5 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 655     1 

Bloor-Yorkville Scene

Relatively lower retail rents on Bloor is indicative of a Canadian culture more focused on diverting available after tax dollars to housing costs & debt service than widespread consumerism. Winners on Bloor? Purely Canadian.

Before they went belly-up there was a Filene's basement on Newburry Street.

Re. Cushman Wakefield accurate reporting... These guys are for profit entities in the business of leasing space. Their white papers and research reports are really nothing more than marketing pieces to show thought leadership in the space... I'm not sure we should be placing the rigours of academia on them (not to be cynical, I just now that some of the reports corporations put out aren't exactly 100% accurate).

As for Tory Burch and Kate Spade - I suspect its store availability. At around 2,500 square feet its too large for the old mac spot (http://www.thegridto.com/life/real-estate/know-vacancy-89-bloor-st-w/) but also too small for the old Tiffany... A mall like Yorkdale can easily carve out specific sized stores to marquee tenants - its different when every building on Bloor is owned by a different landlord.

Before they went belly-up there was a Filene's basement on Newburry Street.

Re. Cushman Wakefield accurate reporting... These guys are for profit entities in the business of leasing space. Their white papers and research reports are really nothing more than marketing pieces to show thought leadership in the space... I'm not sure we should be placing the rigours of academia on them (not to be cynical, I just now that some of the reports corporations put out aren't exactly 100% accurate).

As for Tory Burch and Kate Spade - I suspect its store availability. At around 2,500 square feet its too large for the old mac spot (http://www.thegridto.com/life/real-estate/know-vacancy-89-bloor-st-w/) but also too small for the old Tiffany... A mall like Yorkdale can easily carve out specific sized stores to marquee tenants - its different when every building on Bloor is owned by a different landlord.

Thanks for posting that link to The Grid. Good to know it's not just a dud of a retail space. I guess the Links of London rumours were just that - a rumour. If we run down the list of possible stores that would work in that space, only a handfull come to mind immediately. Agent Provocateur, for example, wouldn't need a much bigger space and they have been looking at Toronto for some time now. Not saying that Bloor St. is necessarily the right fit but the space makes sense. As far as jewelry stores, I could see a Roberto Coin or Van Cleef & Arpels working well there.

Re: Colliers vis-a-vis Cushman & Wakefield, I agree with you that their research reports are merely marketing pieces. It's just bizarre how vastly different they are when surveying the same locations.

That would make the Hugo Boss store over 20,000 square feet. Possible, but remember that Salvatore Ferragamo was also looking for space on Bloor and that would be a good location for them.

Just wanted to point one other thing out about the lease rates survey. Last year Colliers indicated that Ste. Catherine's St. in Montreal was tied for top spot with Bloor at $292. Now if they are saying that Bloor increased by 3.3% that would make lease rates $301 not $310, so either last year's was wrong or someone can't do basic math at Colliers. They're at least more in line with C&W now though. Also, where the hell did Ste. Catherine's go this year!? Either their lease rates dropped below $45 dollars making it the single largest drop in the world (which is unlikely) or Colliers didn't include them in the survey. Queen West is also noticeably absent. I don't really have a point - just ranting.

Is it possible for Ferragamo to open in the current HUGO Hugo Boss store? Or do you think they're too big a brand to be in that part of Yorkville? And any guesses as to who will move into the old Betsey Johnson store?

Is it possible for Ferragamo to open in the current HUGO Hugo Boss store? Or do you think they're too big a brand to be in that part of Yorkville? And any guesses as to who will move into the old Betsey Johnson store?

I personally think their too big a brand to launch in that space. I would think they would want close to 10,000 sq. ft. on Bloor which is way more visable and more 'flagship'. Betsy Johnson could very well the Agent Provocateur space. It would also make a good Theory, Eileen Fisher, or John Varvatos.

I know I already posted this, but this seems more official. Here is Colliers full report with a reference to Dolce & Gabbana.

http://www.collierscanada.com/en/~/...ernational Global Retail Highlights 2012.ashx

Scroll down to page 8...

In our survey, Toronto’s Bloor Street notched Canada’s highest average
rate: U.S. $310/SF, up 3.3% year over year. New leases there include an
expanded Louis Vuitton, Dolce & Gabbana
, and Tiffany & Co. (which will
open summer 2013).

I think it has to be the existing Escada spot.

Application: Sign Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 2X9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 12 209749 SGN 00 SP Accepted Date: Jul 11, 2012

Project: First Party New

Description: To erect and display five illuminated wall signs on the southerly and westerly elevation wall of first and second storey. Signs are static copy and in conjunction with a retail designer store. **Louis Vuitton**

Some Italian shirt brand named 7 Camicie is opening on Cumberland.
Also, the rumour mill is getting stronger re: Breitling and Roberto Coin moving into the new Four Seasons.

Am currently in Vancouver and just saw a st John and a Salvatore ferragamo! Do we have me in Toronto?

Am currently in Vancouver and just saw a st John and a Salvatore ferragamo! Do we have me in Toronto?

Ferregamo has been looking for space for years on Bloor and are likely coming within the next year or so. Probably moving into the existing Tiffany's spot once they relocate. It has never made sense for them to set up anything less than 8,000 to 9,000 sq. ft for a Toronto flagship. St. John, I'm not too sure about but I don't think they're really in expansion mode so I wouldn't expect them to open a new store anywhere.

Ferregamo has been looking for space for years on Bloor and are likely coming within the next year or so. Probably moving into the existing Tiffany's spot once they relocate. It has never made sense for them to set up anything less than 8,000 to 9,000 sq. ft for a Toronto flagship. St. John, I'm not too sure about but I don't think they're really in expansion mode so I wouldn't expect them to open a new store anywhere.

Just out of curiosity! Where dou get this information from act7????

Just out of curiosity! Where dou get this information from act7????

A good chunk of it comes from a couple of contacts in the commercial leasing business (although they have been known to be wrong in the past). And sometimes it comes directly from the retailer themselves. You'd be surprised at how forthcoming some companies are about their expansion plans. A lot are very secretive, but some are pretty open. In fact some brands will tell you they have no plans to open a store in Toronto and then a couple of months later they're opening one.

Back