News   Apr 17, 2024
 642     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 306     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.9K     1 

BlackBerry

Amazon too. They are selling and supporting "non authorized "grey market" international phones without without warranty in US or Canada. Years ago i bought a CD from Amazon, it ended up being a counterfeit bootleg.

No, it was bought for me through bestbuy.ca and my older family member didn't notice the third party seller.
Can you imagine asking someone to buy a TV on Costco's website. I'd never think to tell them to make sure it's actually sold and shipped by Costco, just in case Costco pimps out their e-com site to third parties.

Your family member was ordering online - caveat emptor. Can't say I am a fan of BB hosting third party vendors but I understand why they did it - leveraging their brand to widen their offerings without actually having to inventory those items. What you have just experienced is the negative side effect of these business decisions.

Also, Key2 has an India specific model with dual sims that you can't get in other markets.

AoD

Your family member was ordering online - caveat emptor.
I agree, but Best Buy should push their vendors to steer clear of grey market sales.
Also, Key2 has an India specific model with dual sims that you can't get in other markets.
I did ask for an unlocked phone so I can shop the best service . But I didn't know that meant a grey market device.

Last edited:
caveat emptor.
Caveat emptor
Yes, that does appear to be a common theme. I imagine a subsequent person will soon post the same, though I am holding out for something new.

And I agree, buyer beware. But I imagine if a person ordered a book on Amazon from Beez Books and I sent a box full of dried toenail shavings instead, that Amazon wouldn‘t just say that’s on you to fix with the third party seller. No, Amazon would likely kick my ass.

And I agree, buyer beware. But I imagine if a person ordered a book on Amazon from Beez Books and I sent a box full of dried toenail shavings instead, that Amazon wouldn‘t just say that’s on you to fix with the third party seller. No, Amazon would likely kick my ass.

The comparison isn't quite right - it would be more like you bought the UK edition of the book, found out that it is missing one page awhile later and tried to have the issue rectified. You we're told by the vendor that your book wasn't sold by the Canadian office of said publisher and they regrettably couldn't provide you with the replacement.

AoD

Third party replied, saying they'll issue a refund, but I need to check if a unlocked Canadian spec BB is available for the same price. Best Buy Marketplace doesn't show if it's Canadian market or Indian.

Shopify, BlackBerry develop COVID-19 app; Canada to roll out voluntary tests

June 18, 2020

Canadian technology firms Shopify Inc and Blackberry Ltd are developing a mobile contact testing app for the novel coronavirus, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Thursday.

The voluntary app is set to roll out nationally after launching in Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, slated for July 2.

The test-and-trace program is emerging as an important tool to identify and contain the spread of the coronavirus, as Canadian provinces gradually reopen their economies after three months of lockdown. On Thursday, Canada officially hit 100,000 cases.

The app will use Bluetooth connections to swap randomly generated codes with other users in a geographic vicinity. Users who have tested positive for COVID-19 will receive an eight-digit number from health officials that will verify their status within the app, which then alerts other users who come into contact with them, according to provincial officials.

BlackBerry writes down value of its Spark unit, posts US$636 million Q1 loss

June 24, 2020

WATERLOO, Ont. — BlackBerry Ltd. posted a US$636 million net loss in the first quarter ended May 31, as it recorded a non-cash accounting writedown related to its BlackBerry Spark unit.

The company, which reports in U.S. currency, said the loss amounted to $1.14 per share.

That included a $594-million goodwill impairment primarily related to its BlackBerry Spark reporting unit, which provides tailored cybersecurity options for enterprises.

Chief financial officer Steve Rai told analysts the writedown was driven by the broad-based economic decline and its impact on BlackBerry's market capitalization.

Revenue was $206 million, down from $247 million in the first quarter of fiscal 2020.

BlackBerry posts surprise revenue rise on higher software, licensing demand

September 24, 2020

Canada's BlackBerry Ltd <BB.TO> <BB.N> posted a surprise 6% rise in quarterly revenue on Thursday, as sales of its security software product rose and its patent licensing business strengthened.

U.S.-listed shares of BlackBerry, which sells security software to companies and governments as well as infotainment software to carmakers, rose 6% in early morning trade.

BlackBerry's QNX car software sales, which had been under pressure due to a pandemic-related weakness in the U.S. auto industry, also improved in the quarter. Demand for new vehicles has been recovering after hitting a bottom in April, as lockdown restrictions ease and buyers return.

"Some signs of recovery in auto production point to sequential revenue growth and a return to a normal run rate for QNX by early next year," Chief Executive John Chen said in a statement.

BlackBerry Surges Most Ever on Amazon Auto Collaboration

December 1, 2020

BlackBerry Ltd. surged the most ever after the company signed a multiyear agreement with Amazon Web Services to develop and market its “Intelligent Vehicle Data Platform,” called IVY.

IVY is a cloud-connected software platform that aims to let automakers read vehicle sensor data, improving the performance of cloud-connected vehicles, according to a joint statement.

Shares climbed as much as 58% intraday Tuesday. BlackBerry trading volume was more than 21 times the daily average.

Sales of BlackBerry’s QNX, its software platform for cars, could get a boost from IVY, according to Bloomberg Intelligence analyst John Butler. Amazon Web Services’ strong reputation may also “enhance the appeal” of IVY when it becomes available, Butler said.

Funny that the only thing BBRY has of value is the QNX platform they acquired as their business was collapsing. Original business is essentially dead.

Back