News   Oct 04, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Oct 04, 2024
 4.1K     5 

Big-city dwellers less obese than small-town residents

G

ganjavih

Big-city dwellers less obese than small-town residents

OTTAWA -- The bigger the city, the smaller the waistlines of people living there, according to a Statistics Canada report released Tuesday.

The latest data from the 2004 Canadian Community Health Survey compared obesity and overweight people in and outside census metropolitan areas and used actual measurements of height and weight, not self-reported numbers.

It found that adults who lived in large Canadian cities were far less likely to be obese than their counterparts outside metropolitan areas. As the size of the city increased, the likelihood of being obese fell. Overall, 20 per cent of city residents were obese, compared to 29 per cent of those who lived outside a city. In metropolitan areas with a population of at least two million (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver), only 17 per cent of adults were obese. For urban areas with a population of 100,000 to two million, the obesity rate was 24 per cent, and, in cities with populations of 10,000 to 100,000, the number jumped to 30 per cent.

The Statistics Canada report also indicated that among adults who did not live in urban centres, those who commuted to a large city or even to a smaller urban centre were less likely to be obese.

In municipalities where a high or fairly high proportion of the population commuted to a nearby urban centre, obesity rates were comparable with the national average. In those where few people commuted to work in an urban centre, the obesity rate was almost twice the national average.

The Statistics Canada report cites American research that links obesity and urban sprawl, and suggests that the consequences of urban sprawl include "increased reliance on cars, decreased motivation to walk to destinations and reduced opportunities for exercise because of the time required to travel to recreational facilities." The Statistics Canada finding that residents of municipalities farthest away from urban centres are the most likely to be obese is consistent with that research, the report said.

The report’s findings make sense to Dr. Arya Sharma, scientific director of the Canadian Obesity Network.

"If you look, at people living in downtown Toronto, they may not even own a car. They walk everywhere. You don't use your car when you have six blocks to go or even 10 blocks, you just walk it," he said. "People who use public transportation spend way more time on their feet because they have to walk to the bus stop, they're standing, they climb stairs and all of that contributes to preventing obesity," says Sharma, a professor of medicine at McMaster University in Hamilton.

A possible explanation for the low obesity rates in the largest cities is the tendency for immigrants to settle in these areas — they are less likely to be obese than people born in Canada — but the study controlled for that variable and still came to the same conclusion.

While adult city dwellers were less likely to be obese than rural residents, the same was not true for children, the study said. With the exception of Alberta, where the trend was the same, nationally the proportion of two- to 17-year-olds who were overweight or obese was comparable in large cities and rural areas.

© CanWest News Service 2006

Ah yes, but the total weight of people in the city is higher. Sure you might have thin folks in the cities, but you've got a lot more of them vs. rural areas. Thus, small towns win for less weight per population. :b

Abeja, this sentence was in the article. It somewhat contradicts what you are saying.

While adult city dwellers were less likely to be obese than rural residents,

it's curious they didn't report any data on the converse: frequency of underweightedness (regardless of cause). i would suspect they'd find a much higher frequency of anorexia, bulimia, and body dysmorphic disorder in large metropolitan areas. i'd also be curious to see a breakdown of the data by gender

"i would suspect they'd find a much higher frequency of anorexia, bulimia, and body dysmorphic disorder in large metropolitan areas."

And maybe more heroin addicts?

i would suspect they'd find a much higher frequency of anorexia, bulimia, and body dysmorphic disorder in large metropolitan areas.

What makes you say that? Regardless, with the prevalence of eating disorders being about 1%, I don't think the big city-small city distribution contributed much to the final numbers.

I expect this is, to a certain extent, a money issue. We already know that class has an impact on general fitness. Healthy food, if nothing else, costs more than the cheap stuff given the same preparation time.

Cheap meatloaf versus a lean fillet. $2 TV dinners loaded with preservatives or the $10 lean-cuisine type model. The $30 meal at a decent restaurant or the $10 fast food version. Vegetable oil for cooking or olive oil.

City people as a whole have more income for this type of stuff and high quality food is easier to get a hold of. Getting a healthy meal in a town of 5000 people can be nearly impossible unless you cook it yourself, and even then finding good ingredients can be challenging in a small town.

I expect this is, to a certain extent, a money issue.
Yeah, it is very well established that poor people have higher BMI's on average than richer people.

I wonder if it'd be at least partly an ethnic issue, given that different ethnic groups have different average BMI's, and rural areas are generally less diverse than cities?

The news release, without taking into account tons of confounding factors like these, seems pretty meaningless.

News releases of studies meant for lay people rarely go into details. If you want to read about possible confounding factors, you'll have to read the original research article.

It does not cost more to eat healthy than to eat poorly. Fresh frut and veggies are not expensive at all. It may cost more to purchase healthy prepared foods versus unhealthy prepared foods (ex. a vegetarian take-out meal from an independent shop versus McDonald's) but nobody can tell me that it's cheaper to buy a meal at McDonald's of a burger, fries and Coke ($6?) versus making a meal of chicken, potatoes, and fresh veggies at home, on a per-meal basis.
It comes down to choice.

You've obviously never been poor in a small town looking for vegetarian food in a restaurant. Finding a restaurant that serves food without deep frying it or pulling it out of a pre-packaged box is challenging, a decent vegetarian meal is nearly impossible.

At best you can custom order a salad.

Please tell me if you know of a place that will make a good vegetarian meal in the Wingham, Hanover, Durham, Lucknow, Kingcardine areas -- even if it is expensive, I'll be darned if I've found one yet.

News releases of studies meant for lay people rarely go into details. If you want to read about possible confounding factors, you'll have to read the original research article.
True, however people here were drawing conclusions based on the news release copied to this thread and so I was speaking to the meaninglessness of these conclusions.

Also, note that this press release is not actually a study in the sense of a peer-reviewed, published research paper. It refers, rather, to a statscan report. I did read the report, and while they did break it down to look at recent immigrants, they did not correct for either income or ethnicity.

rbtaylor:
The point of my post is that it's less expensive to cook healthy food at home (ie. purchasing the ingredients at a supermarket, preparing it at home) than buying a take-out meal at a fast food restaurant.
If one is unable to find a healthy vegetarian option at a restaurant in a small town then....shock of shock....make it at home.

Back