717     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 746     0 

Better Know a Car Line: 506 Carlton

S

spmarshall

It’s time for the second installment of my 10 part series, “Better Know a Car Lineâ€.

Yeah, I know there are 11 car lines. But thanks to those ignorant, selfish NIMBYs up on St. Clair, the 512 is dead to me. That’s right! If you can’t support your local car line, then maybe you don’t deserve one. Call me when the right of way is completed, and maybe, just maybe, I’ll reconsider.

Today we look at the 506 Carlton. The fightin’ 506th! It’s a great car line, starting off in the west in the TTC’s most attractive loop, in High Park. It winds through some great nabes and past some of Toronto’s most exciting projects before entering the Main Street Station. However, with recent construction, the Upper Gerrard section is closed, so instead we go to Queen and Coxwell. The temporary routing goes to Bingham Loop off Kingston Road, but we’ll save that section for the 502.

I had a chance to sit down on a 506 streetcar and I give you this photo thread, based on the shots that either turned out the best, or were the most interesting.

EB01.jpg

EB02.jpg

EB03.jpg

EB04.jpg

Harry Stinson’s other project, High Park Lofts.

WB45.jpg

WB44.jpg

WB43.jpg

WB42.jpg

EB05.jpg

Robert Watson Lofts

WB41.jpg

EB06.jpg

EB07.jpg

EB08.jpg

EB09.jpg

EB10.jpg

EB11.jpg

EB12.jpg

EB13.jpg

EB14.jpg

EB15.jpg

EB16.jpg

EB17.jpg

EB18.jpg

WB35.jpg

EB19.jpg

EB20.jpg

EB21.jpg

EB22.jpg

EB23.jpg

Europa.

WB32.jpg

EB24.jpg

EB25.jpg

EB26.jpg

EB27.jpg

EB28.jpg

EB29.jpg

WB26.jpg

WB25.jpg

EB30.jpg

EB31.jpg

EB32.jpg

EB33.jpg

EB34.jpg

EB35.jpg

EB36.jpg

EB37.jpg

WB21.jpg

WB20.jpg

EB38.jpg

WB19.jpg

EB39.jpg

EB40.jpg

WB17.jpg

The Met.

WB16.jpg

When will Loblaws start something with Maple Leaf Gardens?

EB41.jpg

EB42.jpg

EB43.jpg

EB44.jpg

EB45.jpg

EB46.jpg

WB08.jpg

WB09.jpg

WB07.jpg

EB47.jpg

WB06.jpg

EB48.jpg

WB03.jpg

EB49.jpg

EB50.jpg

WB03.jpg

EB51.jpg

EB52.jpg

EB53.jpg

Poverty Square gets Boxed.

EB56.jpg

EB57.jpg

Riverdale Collegiate – nice looking school.

EB58.jpg

Gerrard India Bazzar

EB59.jpg

EB60.jpg

EB61.jpg

EB62.jpg

I’ve heard of this house on Coxwell before, but never seen it until now. Interesting.

EB64.jpg

EB65.jpg

Queen/Coxwell Loop

EB66.jpg

OK! Let’s put the 506 up on the big board!

carlinesm.jpg

A nice day for picture taking. You obviously watch the Colbert Report. You could have added something like:

Question...Harry Stinson, Great Developer, or Greatest Developer?

LOL. Two thumbs up for this Colbert themed thread.
That's my car line!

I really enjoyed this thread and the concept of this series. Is the link to the first installment still active somewhere? I'd love to read it. Which route was used?

Ha! This was great. I've just been away from UT way too long I've been missing all these.

Never even knew I could hop onto a single streetcar in my current hood and end up in my old hood! Really cool!

I first tried photography of streetcar routes from streetcars with the Queen Line from Roncesvalles to the Beaches.

Random pics from the 501

It's a great way of getting pictures - you have a bit of an elevation, if you sit on the left side, you get decent angles of streetscapes from that side, and you're moving, but slowly, and streetcars are smooth enough for it to work.

I thought if I was going to make it a series after my success with Queen, why not do the Colbert thing - especially if I don't feel like doing St. Clair (construction will hopefully start there west of Bathurst anyway), and declare that to be the "dead to me" line.

Can't wait till my line, the King line - the King of lines...

great job again. i really love this series. it's very honest and straightfoward. and full of truthiness.

Nice. Can you put this in the Skyscraperpage forum as well?

Now I want to hop on a streetcar and do exactly the same thing! Nice tour. You picked the perfect day to do it.

And it's time for me to bask in the praise of my fellow forumers who recognize my way of giving people the truth!

(Ok, enough of the Colbertesque persona)

Yeah, I have to pick a good, bright day to do something like this. The afternoon has the best pedestrian activity, but it is hard to get good shots facing west when the sun is bright after 2-3 PM or so.

This weekend isn't looking that great weather-wise, but I want to do 511 before the Fleet Street ROW is started (which will be soon, tracks are set up for it) - out of necessity, 511 might be next, but we'll see. I'll aim for one a week, then do a 501 revisited.

There are a few bus routes that could be interesting (32, 29, 61, 7) and they still have GM New Looks on them, so I might try one of those too and see if I can get good pics from them. The newer buses don't have windows that open at shoulder level (if at all) so they're useless for this.

Tip: The best place to take photos is on a ALRV on the left rear-most seat, where the opening window lines up really well, and there's lots of room to move around. On a CLRV, anywhere on the left side, at the back of a window, towards the back is best (behind the rear doors) - less people to bug you, though no one has yet minded my phototaking.

I've never really done any of the international boards, but it would be a good way of showing the city's vitality at street level, plus its architecture.

The streetcar is the best way of seeing this city. By foot isn't bad either, but you don't cover the same distance.

Great tour, spm. Your photos really show how much better CCBR turned out vs. Pharmacy. My favourite strip along that route has to be Little Italy... such a fun cozy neighbourhood esp. in the summer.

What a good set of pictures. This will be hard to top. Probably no other streetcar line, even Queen, has as much variety along it as College / Carlton.

I've never really done any of the international boards, but it would be a good way of showing the city's vitality at street level, plus its architecture.

I'd post it on skyscraperpage myself, where I'm a moderator. Of course, the only problem with this forum's software is that I just can't copy and paste your code.

But I think its a great way to show off Toronto.

Back