News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 547     0 

Best TO nightclub?

Re: IT-Fly Comparison

DS> I'm from Windsor - usually spent at least one night of the week over in Detroit doing stuff. Missed the 1st (and best) DEMF cuz it was right after i moved here and i had to look for a job. Went the 2nd year - was good, rained. I'm not HUGE into festival shit - always seem to spend more time negotiating the crowd trying to get to see what you want to see....BUT, that night i watched D-Wynn close the night in the big outdoor Hart Plaza bowl with i dunno 20000 people, i was on the upper lip and it was all magic. the rain had stopped, the moon came out. magic ya.

detroit was one of the best places a boy could grow up next to.

I too would totally take a Buddies boy over a Fly boy anyday... duh! But the last time I was at Buddies (in September I think) the lineup was really long, but it was practically empty inside, and the music was really bad - typical Buddies experience. They did play some earlier-90s house, though, which was cool. Terrible drink selection.

Fly is way too overpriced and it´s all sweaty idiots on drugs... most of them don´t even look that good to be honest. I´m not a big fan of Fly.

Then there´s 5ive... which I used to frequent way too much for my own good... I´m glad I´ve left the TO scene for a while, I was starting to get sick of the same places, same faces. I do miss IT on Sundays, though - that was always a lot of fun for me (downstairs).

I'm not a fan of any of those clubs you mentioned but are you telling me people aren't on drugs at Five? IT? Guys don't take off their shirts there? Come on...

I find it hard to believe someone would even mention Industry and Buddies in the same breath. Yikes.
Buddies reminds me of a cheap ass school dance party for nieve boys who are in dire need to find themselves.

I can't stand it there. But then again, my bar is raised fairly high.

Hey i've been to Five. It was cool. The girls were much friendlier than at the clubs on Richmond. I really like the music too. I wonder how much longer it's going to last with that new apartment building set to open in couple of years. I can just see people bitching now. That drives me nuts. Did anyone read that big article in the star about how residents in the club district are 'fed up' and 'scared' to leave their condos because of all the club kids? I'm sorry, but you don't move to the entertainment district and expect quiet evenings at home.
That bugs me! :evil

All clubs, even the great ones, suck to a certain extent. It's their nature to attract bad people, no matter how hard they try.

But Fly is just worse than others. Just like Joker or whatever represents the worst of clubland.

Five has been invaded by the Bears and the Twinks are all in a huff. So i hear.

@ Midtownman, wasn't the Star article saying these people lived in that area before all these super-sized and smaller clubs began popping up everywhere?

Besides, if drunk 905'ers are pissing on their homes, tearing up their lawns, and making verbal threats to them, I think we should come out in support of these people, and chastize those with the boorish behaviour.

Being young and a club-goer does not make you immune to common decency and respect when drunk.

Easy there, Oc2gon... a bit harsh, no? If you´re into gay clubs, have you been to any in Europe, like in Amsterdam or Berlin? If your standards are high, some of the places here will shatter them, trust me! :p

Shawn, where did you use to go out in Detroit? I was clubbing there between '87-'91. I didn't know the DEMF was still happening.

I'm debating going to Vazaleen tonight. ..is it a good time?

I *think* I'm going to Vazaleen tonight too. Should I set-up an Urban Toronto corner at Lee's? Hehe.

Actually, I'll just wear a big CN Tower on my head. :rollin

OK, maybe that didn't deserve a rolling smile, but hey, sometimes I'm just not that funny. Anyway, I've only been to Vaz once, but it was something different from the homogeneity of T.O.'s gay scene. It's nice to hear some rawk 'n rall (albeit pretty bad rawk) whilst talking to boys with a bit of personality. Heck, it's almost like you aren't in Toronto! So yes, I'd definitely suggest you go!

JASON :)

I guess its all subjective as to what you enjoy. The night life in Europe is incredibly vibrant but to many of the clubs give me a vibe like we are all too cool for mortals so you are lucky to be here jerk. You may criticize Toronto venues for being generic but they seem to be more inclusive and unpretentious to me, like **** it lets dance. You also may think I'm nuts but I always have the best time at places like Lee's Palace / Dance cave, where as the larger clubs always leave me disappointed. Not only that but places like Lee's/dance cave, The Horseshoe, Big Bop, bovine sex club etc. that line our major streets have a kind of Dingy Amateur Artsy vibe that I can honestly say smack uniquely of Toronto. I think most of the larger clubs mentioned here could be dropped into any city and it wouldn't make a difference. Many of the new venue are trying to go for the uber kool chrome and glass fake plastic machine wall paper effect. Yawn, if there isn't a healthy film of black liquid party scum on the floor when the night is through then it must be a pretty boring place.

And for the hetero gentlemen in the thread, I can say without a doubt that these small venues are far superior in the c to p ratio vis-a-vis the larger clubs.

Dance Cave rocks. I totally agree that the "über kool chrome and glass fake plastic machine" is just not cool anymore and has been done way too much. I haven´t found European clubs pretentious at all, actually, and I would find the "**** it lets dance" attitude more prevelant here. Germany is different from other European countries, though, and I´m spending the majority of my time here, so perhaps it differs a lot between countries. But I didn´t find clubs in England, Holland, Greece, and Spain to be pretentious either... France, Sweden and Finland were pretty bad, though.

Just curious if any of the Forumers frequent any of the following...

*BLOW UP @ Lee's
*SCHOOL DISCO @ Joe
*HOT TIMEZ in Kensington Mkt.
*MOD CLUB @ Revival and Lava Lounge
*VAZALLEEN & Lee's (which I already know some of you go to)

I know these nights are more 'novelty' or super-niche nights, but they can be a good time every so often.

JASON :)

Simplydan,
No I wasn't being too harsh but after you've partied in places like Ibiza, Miami, Portugal, Greece, NYC, Honolulu... Toronto's club scene (gay or straight) rather pales in comparison.

Ibiza is highly overrated. Yeah the bars are huge and the music is great but the fact that you pay $50 cover and $15 for a drink sort of ruins my party mood.

Back