1.6K     3 

Best Ketchup

What is your favourite ketchup brand?

• Total voters

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
Given the Loblaws French's Ketchup controversy, it would be a good time to discuss what is the best ketchup. Please vote in the poll above and state your rationale. You can change your vote afterwards.

Note that "store-brand" includes "restaurant-brand" if the restaurant does not use Heinz, French's, or artisan ketchup.

We buy the Honey Bunny Bodacious Ketchup, which has a terrible name, but it's good ketchup. Made in Canada and uses organic honey rather than high fructose corn syrup like Heinz. Comes in a pouch rather than a bottle.

Honey Bunny's honey, BBQ sauce and honey garlic sauce are also all very good.

Last edited:
If I'm eating store bought ketchup, I eat Heinz. But I make my own tomato jam, which is way better, so I can't remember the last time I actually ate ketchup from a store.

I bought a bottle of Heinz's Ketchup + tabasco a while ago out of curiosity. It was quite repulsive to my taste buds, and now I only ever use it in a pinch when I run out of normal Ketchup.

Lately, I've been using the following:

Sir Kensington's (which I discovered when I was in New York a few years ago)
Nanny Hudson's (really more of a salsa fresca)
Good Food For Good (love their Indian and Mexican-inspired cooking sauces too), which is really kind of a Canadian/localized version of Sir Kensington's

Seems to be a lot of misinformation going around with this whole French's Ketchup controversy so I figured I would offer a few points of clarification:

1) The Weston Family/Loblaws/President's Choice are a huge pain in the ass to deal with on a business level, especially if you are a supplier to their supply chain. There's a reason why they've managed to amass such a vast fortune and it's at the expense of their suppliers and other smaller businesses.
2) There seems to be an assumption that French's is a Canadian company but it is not. The French's brand is American and the parent company is a British conglomerate.
3) Heinz may have pulled out of Leamington but not all of those jobs went a long with them: a private entity was established after Heinz left called Highbury Canco Coroporation. HCC still produces many items for Heinz in Leamington. HCC also produces a lot of material for French's, which is where the whole social media support for French's is derived from. But make no mistake, Heinz is still very much involved with Leamington.

As for the ketchup comparisons, they both taste the damn same.

Back