News   Mar 28, 2024
 50     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 265     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 638     0 

Best Burger

I didn't have time to scour through all 20 pages of posts, but if this place hasn't been mentioned, I would be very surprised:

Bestellen's burger is reasonably priced for a high-end gourmet burger and they make some damn good cocktails to go with it! Everyone I have recommended this place to has been very happy with my choice as one of the best burgers in Toronto.

Last spring and summer, I did a few personal burger tours around Toronto. I had an obsession for The Burgernator. Sometime in the fall though, the kitchen staff turned over, and the quality of the burgers noticeably declined. I haven't been back for a few months, but hopefully they got their quality back up.

I also enjoyed Priest for a while. I typically like sloppy, somewhat soggy burgers for some strange reason.

Writing about this makes me want to do a burger run today. :)

I also enjoyed Priest for a while. I typically like sloppy, somewhat soggy burgers for some strange reason.

Writing about this makes me want to do a burger run today. :)

I tried Priest and didn't like since it was too sloppy/soggy.

I tried Wahlburgers recently and while it was not bad, I was also not too impressed and don't think I will be going back.

For burgers from fast food joints, I've always enjoyed burgers from Wendy's.

My favourite chain burger would have been Harvey's although I haven't visited one in a very long time. It was a sad day when the Harvey's in Union station closed up shop.

I'll try to pull this thread off its nosedive course into the gutter by mentioning that the resurrected Swan Restaurant on Queen West has a very, very good burger.

I tried Wahlburgers recently and while it was not bad, I was also not too impressed and don't think I will be going back.

I went there around 3 times and had great food/service. The 4th (and final) time, I took my folks and it was the worst service I've had since moving to Toronto, and the food sucked. I felt bad for my parents as they were so looking forward to it and it was such a letdown. Haven't been back, and won't be. It was that bad.

My guilty pleasure now is Five Guys. Holy crap, that's a tasty burger. Each burger there probably takes a year off my life, but so worth it.

I went there around 3 times and had great food/service. The 4th (and final) time, I took my folks and it was the worst service I've had since moving to Toronto, and the food sucked. I felt bad for my parents as they were so looking forward to it and it was such a letdown. Haven't been back, and won't be. It was that bad.

My guilty pleasure now is Five Guys. Holy crap, that's a tasty burger. Each burger there probably takes a year off my life, but so worth it.
I found 5 Guys to be very over-hyped. The burgers are good, but didn't live up to the hoopla.

In December I went to Dukes @ Aura for the first time (to eat) and tried the Woody Burger. That was most likely the best burger I have had in Toronto...double patties, bacon, house-made bacon-focaccia bun; irresistible ($11.65 before tax). I've been there 3 times now and every person I go with that tries their burgers have loved it.

Before discovering Dukes, Burger Priest was one of my favourites, minus the bun.
And I do agree about 5 Guys, it's a decent burger but not anything outstanding. I still prefer it over The Works any day. To me, The Works just hides a dry flavourless patty with outlandish toppings.

Well, to be fair, I'm usually hitting Five Guys after having a few "refreshments", and I tend to keep it simple as far as toppings. Grilled onions, mayo, ketchup, cheese, and a splash of mustard. The retro 80's-90's music (at least it's been when I've been there) and diner "feel" probably adds to my enjoyment. That and a bellyful of craft ale.

This is why the food business is so hard....this is not a "shot" at you, we all do this....but your post starts with noting your first 3 experiences there the food and service were "great".......then you went there and had a bad experience and they seem to in your black book forever. One of my fave restaurants is coming up to the end of the 1 year probation that I put them on......I had had many very good experiences and liked them so much I was taking an out of town guest there to "show it off"....things went wrong, we walked out and I put them in the penalty box for a year.....but is that really fair? are restos expected to be perfect every time?

...you went there and had a bad experience and they seem to in your black book forever...but is that really fair? are restos expected to be perfect every time?

I see your point, but at the same time, I've been to several other restaurants where the service and quality have consistently been top-notch (or at least, satisfactory).

In this case, it probably stung a bit more because I had played the place up to my folks and it was a complete disaster. Hard to forgive and forget when there are so many other places to choose from.

I might go to Wahlburgers again at some point. I'm just not sure I want to.

Back