News   Jul 22, 2024
 100     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 883     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 518     0 

Best buffet in town

Madarin is OK... I always leave full. If they didn't have crab legs on the weekend I don't think I would go there though. Some other items are good but not spectacular. Of the Chinese buffets it may be the best however. The Buffet King, King Buffet, and Tung Hing don't seem as good. For Japanese Buffet we usually go to the one on Rexdale east of Highway 27 which is definitely not very accessible by transit.

So far this thread hasn't been too successful in finding the best buffet in Toronto IMHO. Do we not have any great buffets? My favorite's (besides the breakfast buffets which always seem good) are out of town... The Garage (which used to exist in London Ontario) and O'Nami (excellent Japanese buffet in San Diego).

Enviro:

I think the problem is that buffets are generally not known for food quality. I mean, where I came from, Hong Kong, the good buffets (done in luxe) at hotels are excellent - but quite pricey ($50+ Cdn a head). Not very sustainable here in TO...

GB

A decent alternative to the traditional buffet is a newish restaurant on the King West strip (King and John) called Fortune Cookie.

Instead of serving yourself (buffet), you can order the tasting menu which allows you to pick and choose a huge selection of Thai and Chinese dishes...all made to order. No worrying about how long the food has been sitting out or how many people may have touched the food.

There are no limits on what you can order so it's all you can eat. When I visited the restaurant, the waitress actually encouraged me to order more items. Make sure you make room on your table because you'll have a makeshift buffet right in front of your eyes!

The food was hit and miss, but otherwise a decent value. The location is great and the decor was pleasant. Check it out!

Fortune Cookie - Toronto.com

ganja:

I've been to the Frankie Tomatto's in Markham (dunno if there are others) a few times. It sucks. It's gimmicky, the tables are too close so you feel cramped, and the food isn't very good.

I don't think I've ever actually been to a buffet I'd actually consider good. Mandarin isn't too bad, but expensive. Plus there's the whole atmosphere thing. Invariably buffets defeat the purpose of dining out. The main attraction for me is desserts -- usually I don't eat dessert at a restaurant because it's so overpriced, but at a buffet I always have like 4-5 courses, LOL!

The best Mandarin is the one near 410 and Steeles in Brampton. The building is also the chain's headquarters, and features a conference centre/banquet facility. The restaurant is beautiful, with no expense spared, with a full wall-length aquarium, a parrot wall, where diners can watch the birds, and a waterfall in the entrance way, with a high, sky-painted ceiling.

A little pricey for a westernized Chinese food buffet, though.

GOOOO BRAMPTON!!!!

:rollin

Buffets are always questionable on their quality since it's mass distribution of food...

I've been to the Mandarin in Brampton and its huge! I got my money's worth, the food was good not great.

Frankie Tomatoes...the one i've been to is at Woodbine Ave. Near Steeles...Your average fare of pasta and seafood. I found the serving area quite small for a restaurant of its size. Always packed on the wknds....

There's also Starwalk Chinese Buffet near Midland and Steeles. a Stand alone restaurant near Market Village/& Pacific Mall. Big, expensive, and not worth it in my opinion. Oh, don't ever go to Wong's Buffet in Scarborough...went a few years ago...Ugh!

Japanese, i only know small ones sprinkled around North York/Scarb. & Markham....They are the types where you order all you can eat from your table. Some are quite good (one on 14th Avenue & Denison) but for some i question their cleaniness even when they have a green pass on the door. Order as much you can eat physically, as any leftovers will be charged extra!

There's also All you can eat Mongolian and Korean barbecue. But prepare for meat only...vegetables just get in the way.

I'm still trying to find the best "Canadian/American Food" Buffet in town...but there's too many excellent "regular" restaurants that I haven't had the time to look!

Free Times Cafe on College Street ( west of Spadina ) has an excellent all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch/buffet for less than $20. Keep going back for more food; endless coffee and orange juice. Better to make a reservation. Seatings at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Back