News   Jul 31, 2024
 687     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 523     0 

Best Ad Campaign in the GTA's History?

Scraps

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is a pretty simple post. I am curious how many people know of the Pizzaville, "It was a rainy day in Pizzaville...' ad campaigns, and furthermore would you call it the best ad campaign in the GTA's history? Keep in mind it has been running for over 25 years!

Here is a link to all of the best "Rainy Day," ads from the past quarter century if you need a refresher.
www.pizzaville.ca/vote

If it's not the best campaign what is? I can't seem to think of many more Canadian ads that can compare.

Though when it comes to pizza, how can one forget Pizza Pizza's 967-11-11 (unless the case there is damaged by the recent jingle replacement)

Pizza Nova has a pretty catchy jingle. I actually find pizzaville's ads pretty annoying.

Down in Niagara you'd have trouble finding someone over 20 who doesn't know the Niagara Airbus jingle, or even the Buffalo-based Airport Plaza Jewelers "where a really great diamond doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg" campaign that's been on for years.

[video=youtube;K4Z48jV3HM0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Z48jV3HM0[/video]

I'm surprised NOOOOO-BODY! has mentioned......well, you know.

lastmanbig.jpg

44e14dd7d520ed6c2ab192dd0c6669a4

People still ask "Was it worth the drive?" when you tell them you were in Acton, so I'd say those were fairly effective.

[video=youtube;Q0HPAA25-Yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0HPAA25-Yc[/video]

Niagara Airbus
[video=youtube;MHEHlYYfrio]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHEHlYYfrio[/video]

Speaking of memorable commercials: I'll never forget "Crazy Eddie"...

Everyone: Speaking of memorable ad campaigns: In the NYC area you had "Crazy Eddie" in the later 70s and 80s.
Their ads are memorable to me now more then 20 years later...

This Wikipedia page explains well the rise and fall of one "Crazy Eddie" Antar...white collar crime brought down his multimillion dollar store empire...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Eddie and down at the bottom of the page look for "CE commercials" under External Links which will link to a YouTube page with "Crazy Eddie" commercials...

I remember best "Crazy Eddie prices are INSANE!!!" and "He's practically giving it all away" and my favorite was "Crazy Eddie's Christmas Sale in August: It's hot,the streets are sweltering and the air is hot and sticky..."

I wonder now if there has been a total saturation ad campaign in Toronto that can compare...when you remember a commercial vividly just like the marketers hoped that you will...

These may go down as some of the most memorable commercials of all time in any city...Long Island Mike

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on how you define best. In terms of most entertaining/memorable, the distinction does to 'The Cashman' hands down.

You can also go old-school with stuff like Dominion's "Mainly Because Of The Meat"...

Speaking of meat: Where's the Beef?

Adma: When you mentioned that Dominion Supermarkets ad I for some reason thought of the 80s ad campaign
by Wendy's: "Where's the Beef?"

I understand that this topic is about local and regional ad campaigns but every time I read about Mississauga's mayor
Hazel McCallion I can't help but think of Clara Peller-the central character in those funny ads.

If you search YouTube and enter "Wendy's Where's the Beef Commercials" you should get a good group of those
commercials...

Speaking of ads and commercials-YouTube also has older classic commercials of all types if you search...as some of
the UT posters already more then likely know...

Thoughts from LI MIKE

I can't stand Con Man Russel Oliver, Hopefully the next time he gets arrested they will lock him up for good so we don't have to put up with his god awful commercials

I can't stand Con Man Russel Oliver, Hopefully the next time he gets arrested they will lock him up for good so we don't have to put up with his god awful commercials

Every time I see a Russel Oliver commercial, all I can think is "imagine if that guy was your dad". Every time you left a room for the rest of your life, you'd hear whispering and snickering.

Back