News   Jul 22, 2024
 459     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 594     0 

Benazir Bhutto Killed in Pakistan

I also don't like nepotism in politics. Just because you've got the name Bhutto, or for that matter Trudeau, doesn't mean you should have an automatic pass up the ladder.

Or Gandhi, or Bush, or Roosevelt, or (for history buffs) Pitt...

Bill -- limiting myself to families with multiple members as head-of-government, I am sure there are many others too

When Bilawal said "democracy is the best revenge" he sounded like he was delivering a line in a school play.

What an awful thing for a 19-year old, to be jammed into politics like this. I feel sorry for him.

The kid'll be okay if he downgrades to cheap drugstore ready-to-wear glasses. He'll be a real man of the people then.

With all respect to the late Ms. Bhutto, I'm not quite sure where the hero-worship comes from. She is thought by many to have run a corrupt government while in office. Her husband was in prison for many years.

It's strange that a supposedly major party can't round up a few experienced and credible people outside the Bhutto family who might serve as leaders. How is a 19-year-old university student, who has spent most of his life outside the country, to be taken seriously as a leader?

I feel sorry for the people of Pakistan. Anything resembling real democaracy will be a long time coming, I'm afraid.

she was on the verge of disclosing some info regarding vote fixing, improper use of US aid which was meant for pro democracy causes, etc. before she was assassinated.

With all respect to the late Ms. Bhutto, I'm not quite sure where the hero-worship comes from. She is thought by many to have run a corrupt government while in office. Her husband was in prison for many years....

As I tried to say in the very first post, Ms. Bhutto was an exceptionally bright individual by any standard you might use, team this with her obviously famous name due to her father, and a legacy of reform, all contribute to her enhanced image and loyal followers. In electing her not only the first woman, but also the youngest Prime Minister in Pakistan history, not once but twice, we know that she had a broad appeal. Then in that second term came the corruption charges.

You need to know that corruption charges were a common ploy used to justify the torture and/or murder of opposition leaders by the military regime that preceded the current one. This is not to dismiss any charges made, only to place them in their proper context. Once these charges are forged, the normal process of adjudication would not resemble what you would say is a fair course.

Knowing this, Ms. Bhutto's advisers convinced her that she must leave and live in exile, after those early signs were sent out. Presumably she reached an arrangement with the current military leader to come back without retribution. In hindsight, her timing was ill advised, and the consequences were tragic.

The Bhutto family is rapidly disappearing, and it looks as though the best of them have come and gone. Who knows what fate will now visit that country in view of what has been lost, and what has remained.

The Bhutto family is rapidly disappearing, and it looks as though the best of them have come and gone. Who knows what fate will now visit that country in view of what has been lost, and what has remained..
At the end of the day, we must remember that rarely do a nation's brightest or successful citizens enter into political office. We see this is in Canada, where the best we can usually do is have legistatures full of lawyers and failed social activists, while with rare exception our brightest citizens go into medicine, engineering, business and science. Take a look at your MP, MMP and City Counsellor, and ask yourself, one, that surely someone better could do this job, and two could this fellow make it the real world?

It's even worse for a country like Pakistan with corrupt, violent and dictatorial politics and nation-wide poverty, since anyone with any brain power will be trying to leave the country, not run it. My old Serbian friend told me the same story, in that in his view, all the educated, western-minded Serbs had fled the country, leaving it to the goons who wrecked the place, along with those who cared not to oppose the goons.

I disagree. The "WASP colonies" were settled by Europeans, with the native population being almost completely marginalized. In comparison, the colonisation of South America and Asia is more similar to the current Iraq occupation. The native population was too large to be swept aside, so it was largely repressed and manipulated. In addition, none of the South Asian countries achieved self governance until very recently (after World War II).
I think this is the main reason. Another big one, at least in Africa and Asia, is that boundaries weren't drawn along ethnic/tribal lines. Iraq is the perfect example. Sunnis, Shiites, and Kurds really should have had their own countries from the start, and I have a feeling that's how it'll end up eventually. At best the boundaries were drawn up arbitrarily. But something tells me it was more sinister than that - more of a deliberate attempt to keep the new countries weak, to prevent any new powers from rising and rivalling their old masters.

Back