News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

Beer Store needs a Lifetime Achievement Award

I'd like to see a picture of any building that made the Beer Store look like a palace.
It doesn't take much to google something...
city-beer-store.jpg

Ontario beer stores are pathetic! inside and out. What's with the computer and mic ordering terminals? Its a store not a fast food joint! My friends visiting from Quebec always get a laugh at these tacky looking Beer Stores that sell over priced beer, with very little selections to choose from :mad:

city-beer-store.jpg

Easy now. If it's what's on the inside that counts, The City Beer Store in San Francisco has a beer selection that blows The Beer Store right out of the water.

Three words: Pliny The Elder.

I rest my case.

But yeah, The Beer Store is ugly on the outside and inside, because they're really just designed to push people to buy 24s of Molson and Labatt's products.

city-beer-store.jpg

In fact this building meets the sidewalk and supports apartments above, unlike the anti-urban Toronto stores. On examination the sign is actually quite stylish. And this is a gourmet beer store with a great selection, as beer per se is handled by regular supermarkets in the states.

I think Beer Store needs to earn a lifetime achievement award for being the leader in consistently ugly building and site design. All through downtown we are subject to these buildings which look like they've been airlifted from Orillia.

Total disrespect for their surroundings. :mad:

Though in some of those cases, they *used* to be attractive (let's say, 50s-type Miesian pavilions) before the present standardized makeover took over...

In fact this building meets the sidewalk and supports apartments above, unlike the anti-urban Toronto stores. On examination the sign is actually quite stylish.

To each, their own.

At least, (except in Northwestern Ontario) we don't have to look at these wonders anymore.

BeerStore.jpg

Well, that "CITY BEER STORE" sign *is* stylish, once one realizes it's a hanging metal stamp-out--though the optical illusion in the photo make it look like some crude ad hoc fascia paste-on...

I'd like to see a picture of any building that made the Beer Store look like a palace.

I've seen as ugly in the states, but not uglier.

You clearly haven't been to Detroit...or New York...or Columbus....or Chicago....or Buffalo.....or...oh, never mind.

Ontario beer stores are pathetic! inside and out. What's with the computer and mic ordering terminals? Its a store not a fast food joint! My friends visiting from Quebec always get a laugh at these tacky looking Beer Stores that sell over priced beer, with very little selections to choose from

Overpriced... yes. Poor selection? NO.
I think we have the upper hand when it comes to selection in Ontario. As there's only one player the microbrews need shelf space or they'd otherwise die. We get a great selection from one store, that's far better than running around to dozens of different stores to get the same selection in QC. I find a lot of retailers in Quebec and the States seem to have a lot of Coors, Bud etc and very little of the stuff I actually enjoy.

I think we have the upper hand when it comes to selection in Ontario. As there's only one player the microbrews need shelf space or they'd otherwise die. We get a great selection from one store, that's far better than running around to dozens of different stores to get the same selection in QC. I find a lot of retailers in Quebec and the States seem to have a lot of Coors, Bud etc and very little of the stuff I actually enjoy.

Microbreweries are worse off because of the Beer Store... for me I can't get a local beer, Beau's at the Beer store despite being available at pretty much every LCBO and tons of Ottawa area restaurants.. It also can't sell its seasonal beers at the LCBO since there is a year long approval process. Craft brewers don't like the Beer Store
http://freeourbeer.org/?p=46
http://www.theontarion.ca/viewarticle.php?id_pag=2694 http://www.clickabottle.ca/blog/?p=207
http://www.businessedge.ca/article.cfm/newsID/15819.cfm. As for selection, the US and Europe have lots of specialty and warehouse stores.

And since I'm from a smaller town (10-15k), the Beer Store and LCBO close at 6PM most weekdays and 4PM on Sundays (Meanwhile, grocery stores and convenience stores are all open much later), you can't get anything within walking distance, and the selection is pretty bad. I miss being in Quebec or European countries where if you are thirsty or a friend drops by after 6PM the government lets you buy a few beers or a bottle of wine to enjoy for the evening at your house.

Also don't the big brewers sort of control the beer store, pushing out or taking over many of the smaller craft ones in the process? Monopolies are just never good for the consumer any way you slice it. Time to privatize beer and the LCBO and let the market offer better pricing, promotions, convenience and choice.

Back