News   Aug 16, 2024
 332     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 288     0 
News   Aug 16, 2024
 452     0 

Bedbugs

Rather than spraying them, put all of your clothing, rugs, towels, and bedsheets in a dryer. High heat kills them very effectively.

What do you guys think should be done with a mattress in this case? Toss, or spray with toxic chemicals?

It's likely you'll need to get your place sprayed anyway, even if you do the dryer thing. They can hide in the room where the floor meets the walls and other small cracks. When I had them, they didn't even live in the mattress or the bed. I checked it thoroughly and there was not a trace, which is why throwing out my mattress would have been pointless.

You can get bedbug-proof bags to put your mattress in. They will be trapped inside and should starve in a few years. You can try steaming to kill most of them.

It takes them YEARS to starve? That's frightening.

They can last in a dormant state for a long time. You could also put your mattress on your balcony on a cold winter night in January and that should do the trick as well.

40° or higher from in a clothes dryer, or a real heat wave without air-conditioning, or a steamer, for 20 minutes, so also kill them.

(Note: temperatures reported on TV are the temperatures in the shade and 1m above the ground. So temperatures in direct sunlight could reach above 40°.)

Don't count on leaving it outside the balcony overnight during a cold snap OR under the sun during a heatwave to do the job - it probably won't be enough.

AoD

Don't count on leaving it outside the balcony overnight during a cold snap OR under the sun during a heatwave to do the job - it probably won't be enough.

AoD

I contracted bedbugs once while travelling. I was instructed to put all my clotes into a black garbage bag and leave it in the hot sun for a day. I did not recieve any further bites after that.

It probably means that your particular infestation was not so bad.

I just read an article that described some clothing stores in New York City having become infested with bed bugs. In the recent past, there have been stories about how bed bugs can be picked up inside airliners and visits to theatres.

How long 'till the big bug lawsuits?

We seem to have a increase of parasites that we thought were long gone but alas, they are returning with a reckoning. I only too remember the lice outbreaks in school back in the 70's as a kid for example. My brother and I were sent home twice. It was more common back then.

If your moving and want to investigate a building that you are considering, prior to signing a lease, check out the Bed Bug Registry (most condos aren't included).

http://bedbugregistry.com/

In the bottom right hand field type in "Toronto, Ontario" under "City and State"

If your moving and want to investigate a building that you are considering, prior to signing a lease, check out the Bed Bug Registry (most condos aren't included).

http://bedbugregistry.com/

In the bottom right hand field type in "Toronto, Ontario" under "City and State"

I've been looking for an apartment to rent for my daughter, and I've checked that site for every place I've seen. :D

MPP Mike Colle (Eglinton-Lawrence) has introduced a private members bill, "The Renters Right to Know Act" where, if passed, would require landlords to disclose if the rental complex has had any bedbug issues in the past five years.
If you support this bill drop Mike Cole an email or sign his petition

email - mcolle.mpp.co@liberal.ola.org

website - http://www.mikecolle.com/Home.aspx?id=17

Back