News   Jul 08, 2024
 120     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 647     3 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 475     0 

BBQs on balconies

if there's a majority that want the BBQs, can't you admend the act with a vote?

Things like BBQs on balconies are usually decided by the Rules of a Condo Corporation (it's nothing to do with a Property Management company) and Rules CAN be changed. Talk to your Board and see if they are prepared to propose a change, if not you can call a special meeting and try to do so yourself. From Condo Act: (5) The owners may amend or repeal a rule at a meeting of owners duly called for that purpose. 1998, c. 19, s. 58 (5).)

Transporting a propane tank through a condo building is against fire code. Actually having a bbq on a balcony isn't, so most condos just say no. It's kind of like being able to buy all the paraphenalia for smoking pot, but the actual pot being illegal situation ;)

Transporting a propane tank through a condo building is against fire code. Actually having a bbq on a balcony isn't, so most condos just say no. It's kind of like being able to buy all the paraphenalia for smoking pot, but the actual pot being illegal situation ;)

This. I was about to post this when I noticed simuls' post.

A lot of the loft-style buildings have nat gas hookups on the balcony now. I assume it's because the upstairs windows are further from your smoke source.

bbq on the balconies

it is very simple: respect your neighbours and do not smoke them.
simple and common sense.
the condominiums are in urban areas with a lot of restaurants (that's why we live in a city, downtown) and craving for a stake brings you to the restaurant.
living in a city with suburbs habits !

it is very simple: respect your neighbours and do not smoke them.
simple and common sense.
the condominiums are in urban areas with a lot of restaurants (that's why we live in a city, downtown) and craving for a stake brings you to the restaurant.
living in a city with suburbs habits !

alot of dt condos have BBQ in an outdoor common area which could also be used.
why bother smoking up your own place, let alone annoy neighbours for some grilled meat?
also the outside common areas and party room is surely much bigger than most suites.

A while back I purchase a unit in 550 Wellington (Thompson Hotel Building) a natural gas line to the balcony was an available option that made sense to include, especially since I was already upgrading to a gas range - I can't imagine a summer without BBQing!

How much did you guys pay for your gas line option on the balcony?

Mine was just over 3K - Includes gas line to the kitchen and balcony. They initially wanted 2800 just to do the Kitchen, so I thought an extra 500 for the balcony was OK - nothing seems to come cheap in the condo upgrade world...

Oh god...pan frying steaks... I'm glad I don't have to do that anymore!

I think I'd pan fry my steaks even with access to a BBQ. More surface area to caramelize! Plus, I can get my cast iron pan hotter much more quickly.

My building's condo act prohibits balcony BBQs to prevent smoke from entering upwind suites, and to prevent smoke from staining the exterior walls and balcony undersides. BBQs are allowed on terraces.

Someone around me is bbq'ing a lot lately on their balcony, and the smells keep flying into my bedroom window. It's pretty nasty sometimes.

This is it. Not much talk about effect of BBQ'ing on your upstairs neighbours? If someone BBQ's like we do (we live in a house, so no issue for us) most weekends during Spring/Summer, I think our upstairs neighbours would be cursing us every weekend. They wouldn't be able to sit on their balconies while we BBQ and likely have to close their windows as well... and every weekend! How is this OK and BBQ'ing allowed in condos? Please enlighten.

Back