News   Jul 15, 2024
 533     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 697     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 593     0 

BBQs on balconies

Yes, I've been to many places that had gas lines, but never one with propane lines.

I'm assuming the gas lines are only for condo townhouses, or are there large low/high rise balconies that also have gas lines? I too have never seen such a thing.

In my current condo (Kilgour Estate by Daniels) there are natural gas line hook ups on each and every balcony (one per suite). I know that a Shane Baghai building at Yonge and Sheppard also has natural gas lines (can't recall the name of the building).

I've bought a suite in Aria by Menkes and the penthouses all come with natural gas lines but not the regular suites. I asked if the line could be purchased as an upgrade and was told flat out there was no chance.

I have to say, after living in a condo with a gas line it'll be very difficult to move into another without.

Yes, it's very likely gas lines, not propane. I know gas lines to a stove, fireplace and/or balcony were upgrades in the standard units at Radio City.

As long as your building has gas in it you might be able to get board permission to have a gas line run to your balcony/terrace. We had a company do this for us, they tapped into the gas line in our hallway and ran it to our private rooftop terrace!

My building's condo act prohibits balcony BBQs to prevent smoke from entering upwind suites, and to prevent smoke from staining the exterior walls and balcony undersides. BBQs are allowed on terraces.

The management company that runs my building also runs Glas, and they have no such rule in their condo act. People in my building can see all the BBQs on Glas balconies and we're pretty jealous.

My building's condo act prohibits balcony BBQs to prevent smoke from entering upwind suites, and to prevent smoke from staining the exterior walls and balcony undersides. BBQs are allowed on terraces.

The management company that runs my building also runs Glas, and they have no such rule in their condo act. People in my building can see all the BBQs on Glas balconies and we're pretty jealous.

if there's a majority that want the BBQs, can't you admend the act with a vote?

Someone around me is bbq'ing a lot lately on their balcony, and the smells keep flying into my bedroom window. It's pretty nasty sometimes.

BBQ'ing on balconies in my building (rental) as far as I know is not allowed.

I'm in a rental & tried to get away with a camping sized Canuk Tire BBQ with small propane tanks last summer because I could regularly smell others using them. In August a letter came out threatening eviction if any type of BBQ was reported or found on balconies here.

Last edited:
It's weird because in MOntreal you're allowed to..... at least you were when I lived there.

I know fire code is pretty tough in Toronto, perhaps more so than Montreal.

I know fire code is pretty tough in Toronto, perhaps more so than Montreal.
I guess... It would be cool if they came out with bbq's specifically for condos though :). Anyways, most condos have a couple bbq's as part of the amenities so it's not all THAT bad.

anyone know what the average cost is for a private contractor to "install/activate" a gas line on the balcony for bbq purposes?

I was told by the developer that there might be some drilling required and the developer charges extra to hook it up. I rather save the cash to get someone else to do this. There is a direct gas line on all balconies in this building.

anyone know what the average cost is for a private contractor to "install/activate" a gas line on the balcony for bbq purposes?

I was told by the developer that there might be some drilling required and the developer charges extra to hook it up. I rather save the cash to get someone else to do this. There is a direct gas line on all balconies in this building.

you're assuming the condo board will allow you to do this ...
what you're proposing would require the whole building's gas supply be shut down, unless there are valves just around your unit that can be manually turned off ... not to mention the whole liability issue.

somethings can be done after-the-fact, others i would highly recommend against ... this is one of them, don't be cheap

not being cheap if there's this much involved i won't do it, the salesperson suggested it.

Back