News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 951     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 7.8K     9 

Bay Street Corridor

Bay street corridor is certainly a "neighborhood"

As a seasonal resident of this corridor, I would certainly call it at least a unique area if not a classic definition of "neighborhood". Convenience and centrality are unparalleled. Ten to 15 minute walk from Bloor/Yorkville, Church/Wellesley village, University of Toronto, main N/S and E/W transport corridors, downtown, Spadina Chinatown, Baldwin/Kensington Market, hospitals, Ontario government, etc. and short TTC rides to much else.

It is the only street in TO that gives, in a very understated and sporadic manner, a sense of New York City or some other significant urban agglomeration. When it is evening rush hour in the summer, there is actually a mix of ages and types in significant numbers using the street to walk uptown - rather than the usual mono-culture Toronto street. When TIFF is on there are even some stylish people on the street.

I apologize to those who may be offended but many of Toronto's so-called neighborhoods are little else than two or three streets and a few specialty shops or a main street strip, all of which will be surrounded by an often undistinguished residential area. The Bay corridor has at least as much going for it. (OK....bring on the flames.)

Two out of three below are TO:

3146205020_e6810f12f8_b.jpg

3146212954_c5b092f0a4_b.jpg

3146208666_5eaf1aac66_b.jpg

And then there is the other seasonal location.

3145385623_38912b2936_b.jpg

I'll take that winter location in the 4th image right about now!

3146212954_c5b092f0a4_b.jpg

Where is this one? - it is of some comfort to know that there are other cities out there pounding out the same kind of mediocre doodoo as we doodoo.

Where is this one? - it is of some comfort to know that there are other cities out there pounding out the same kind of mediocre doodoo as we doodoo.

This is looking up Third Avenue in the Upper Eastside New York. What makes it work is the sheer density of development making for a pretty lively street scene 24 and 7. Not my favorite part of NYC but it does work. Maybe Toronto places to much emphasis on the buildings and not enough on what happens on the streets themselves.

It's not like many major cities are pounding out streetscapes of Foster, Gehry and Nouvel towers. Mediocrity is plentiful.

True, but we should try our best not to join that club and aspire to something better. If we ask for better, we'll get a little better than if we say nothing at all.

Many mistakes have been made on Bay Street, but the pressing question is how can we make it better? The improvements being made on Bloor will open many people's eyes to what good sidewalk design can offer. Trees and other plants are a good place to start. Other obvious areas are better sidewalk materials, street lamps, and street furniture. Re-designing the road as a strictly 4 lane street like exists south of Queen could have dramatically beneficial results.

Last edited:
Actually, as it turns out, the majority of buildings in every city in the world are pretty much like this. Get used to it and be happy for the beauts that stand out. We can aspire to something better all we want, but it's ain't gonna happen.

Regardless of whether it came about as a result of happenstance, or by design, the Bay Street residential canyon that's evolved over the past 30 years strikes me as a logical enough mediation between a shopping street like Yonge and an institutional street like University. I enjoy the distinctiveness of these three streets, taken together and in relation to one-another, and question whether the homogenized and much desired multi-use alternative that is so often pushed as a solution to the "problem" that a high-rise canyon like Bay presents is such a superior model in our big, bustling, varied city.

As far as the buildings themselves are concerned, and their spatial arrangements on their sites, and their relationships to adjacent buildings and to public space, I believe that aspiring to something better will always be what motivates our best architects, and what our city ought to mandate on our behalf if we consider building here to be a priviledge rather than a right, and what demanding consumers will gravitate towards. The alternative - celebrating merely when "something" is built on a long-empty lot - perilously close to celebrating when "anything" is built - isn't much of a rule to live by.

I've been over around Jarvis/Carlton for the last few years and have watched that corridor really evolve in the time I've been living nearby. When I first moved down here Bay/College was dead from about 7PM through to the following morning when the office crowds came back. As soon as RoCP I opened up that changed, and the intersection started seeing some limited 24 hour activity. Then the Met filled in, and it got a bit busier, and then busier still once RoCP II and Encore started seeing occupants. It's getting very close to the sort of critical mass you need to support a thriving work/play/sleep sort of node, and I think Lumiere/Murano/Burano might be just enough to take Bay/College to the next level.

I'm not hoping for much more out of this cycle, but I would love in the next big building boom to see those two midrise office buildings on the SW and NW corners of Bay and College to be replaced with offices in at least the 20 storey range, and ditto for that squat red brick building north of Burano. There's also some great opportunities for more development in the area (a parking lot on Grenville, the parking lot behind THES, the actual SE corner of Bay/College can be built up, etc)

Actually, as it turns out, the majority of buildings in every city in the world are pretty much like this. Get used to it and be happy for the beauts that stand out. We can aspire to something better all we want, but it's ain't gonna happen.

Buildings like this exist elsewhere, so we should accept them here too? That's not a good enough reason. You're asking people to get used to something they find instinctually substandard. Now that's something that ain't gonna happen. Thankfully, there are enough people who have zero interest in that nor are such people capable of numbing themselves in that fashion.

We get better buildings precisely because people do complain and do ask for better. If the whole city were filled with people who rationalized that it's ok because other cities do it too, we'd never end up with those 'beauts' you mentioned.

We get beautiful buildings because some people because some people demand it. We'll always get substandard areas too, because there are enough people who rationalize the way you do. Good design doesn't have to cost more, but exists because people accept it.

Last edited:
I'm not hoping for much more out of this cycle, but I would love in the next big building boom to see those two midrise office buildings on the SW and NW corners of Bay and College to be replaced with offices in at least the 20 storey range,

Uh-uh, not the SW corner especially...from the Inventory of Heritage Properties...

790 BAY ST Commercial 27 Architectural Continental Can Building, 1959; Peter Dickinson Architect; adopted by City Council on July 22, 23, 24, 2003

Maybe we should start a thread on ugliest heritage buildings in Toronto... I'm curious what people think. 790 Bay would be up there for me.

I'm quite fond of 790 Bay. Sorry.

To return to earlier posts and rebuttals, every time I posit that most buildings in any city are in fact ordinary, what I am usually reacting against are comments that I consider ill-informed and overly dramatic, such as "we get the worst buildings in the world in this city because all our politicians are on the take", or something like that. What I am trying to suggest is that there is no place, not Hamburg, not Tokyo, not New York, where every building is aesthetically pleasing and well attuned to its neighbours. Since it is not possible that this will happen, not here not anywhere, might as well get used to it. But I'll address some responses in particular:

Aspiring to be better motivates our best architects - no disagreement there, but most of the buildings actually existing in the city were not built by the best architects, nor will they ever be. US - your particular response to this fact is simply to filter out what you don't really wish to see - which is a particularly good response for someone with a keen eye and interest in aesthetics. Not so good for someone interested in the city as a whole, in what is rather than what is better.

our city ought to mandate [better buildings] on our behalf - again, no disagreement here. Toronto has a long history of by-laws and regulations determining what gets built where, and its relationship to other buildings and to public space. In that sense, a design review is simply an extension of that interest, rather than anything new. However, lest we get too excited about the impact of Design Review Panels, it's best to remember that supposed "experts" do in fact disagree, sometimes vehemently, on what is worthy in the city. If we had Lisa Rochon, Christopher Hume, and Urban Shocker on a panel, what would they have said about the ROM, the Gardiner Museum, and the Four Seasons Centre respectively, and how would that have played out? (Not to mention the waterfront office building). The idea of design panels excites me as I am in favour of greater oversight into the built realm, but city building will always involve compromises and disagreements and there is no absolute and final word on these things, much as we might wish there to be. I also think that Vancouver, with its dullish repetition of worthy towers, should act as a cautionary note for Toronto.

isaidso said this: We get better buildings precisely because people do complain and do ask for better. If the whole city were filled with people who rationalized that it's ok because other cities do it too, we'd never end up with those 'beauts' you mentioned. US also mentioned the possibility of demanding consumers gravitating towards better buildings. In both cases, there is an assumption that consumers can be made to agree on aesthetics and that they will incorporate good design into their choice of buildings. I think this is not true, and will never be true. I'll try and demonstrate in two ways.

A very common, very sensible requirement of the city is that buildings contain retail at their base when they are almost anywhere that could support retail, and especially in discussions here this has become gospel, which I think is a good thing. However, I have rarely seen a building advertised or ever heard mention in any puff-piece in the Toronto Star or the Condo Guide that advertised retail at the base as a feature of the building. This in itself leads me to believe that consumer do not "choose" to live in a building that lends vitality to the city as a whole, and that this fact is recognized by savvy developers who simply omit this fact from their pitches. The fact is, what is good for the city and what is good for condo dwellers is sometimes quite different. If I were to live in Humber Bay Shores, for instance, I would be loathe to be right on top of a restaurant with a patio, for obvious reasons. But I am pleased that the city required this of one of the buildings in that area, and I wish they had required it of more.

My other argument against the notion that consumers, properly educated, will choose good design, simply starts with a question. Where do you live? Is the house or highrise in which you live architecturally significant? Or is it just a plain-Jane building that serves its function? If not, how did you come to live there? Quite seriously, I am asking you to put your money where your mouth is - and unless you happen to live in a building that exemplifies good design, then I conclude that what you are really saying is that good design is something you wish other people to choose, and not particularly so much yourself, thank you. I will state that I live in City Park, a building which I consider to be groundbreaking in its day and which I am proud to support because I strongly support co-operative housing in Toronto. I chose to live there because the rent is cheap, it is close to the bars that I frequent, and I can walk to work. Design (especially that in evidence from the outside of the building) had zero to do with it, and it's only by happy coincidence that I can appreciate the building from that point of view as well. Both US and isaidso have essentially made the argument that we need to encourage consumers to choose Spire over Bloor Street Neighbourhood, but the fact is that the choices that people make are influenced by many factors, design being one of the least important. This will always be so, and I am willing to bet that you are no different from anybody else in that regard.

My point really is that most buildings in the city, this city and all cities, always, are workaday buildings that break no new ground aesthetically or in any other way, and that is OK. I have always believed that how buildings relate to each other and especially how they relate to the city is far more important. Though I am excited about the prospects for Design Review Panels, I am not under the mistaken impression that it will usher in an era of strongly enhanced design in general, nor are they even likely to bring agreement about what is a good building, as the Corus example so tellingly shows.

What I am not saying is that ugly buildings are good enough, that we should grateful for anything, and that we ought not strive for better. Please note this for future reference.

Last edited:
I think the purpose of design review, as with any peer review in the creative field, is to throw new ideas into the mix so that the work under discussion will profit from a second set of eyes and a consideration of other possibile solutions. If it is done in a collegial way, who could possibly object to having their work reviewed? I think that's why the review of Aura seemed to work, with everyone coming away happy with the result. In any case, what credibility would a design review process have, if it became an excuse for one set of designers to ride roughshod over the work of others? Nobody would willingly submit to it, and the public would have little faith in it.

Well designed things work better, and suit the requirements of their users, better than ineptly designed things. The more practical, good design we create, the more we will raise the level of expectations. People get annoyed, rightly, when objects - and systems - don't work. The benefits of a culture of excellence, and high standards, are self evident. For instance, nobody wants to live in unpleasant surroundings; you'd live somewhere else if City Park didn't suit your requirements. Buildings like it are the product of our strong Modernist roots, a design movement allied to social change and still informing the work of our leading architects, so the results of the design process that produced that building obviously had quite a bit to do with your decision to live there.

Does anyone knows it there are any plans to fix Bay street from Queen to Gerrard? It's even worst than Charles between Yonge and Church. Hopefully they fix it for G20 meeting

Back