News   May 31, 2024
 241     3 
News   May 31, 2024
 921     1 
News   May 31, 2024
 707     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

FCP with BMO logo reflecting on B/A Place.

BA Place 002.jpg

Attachments

• BA Place 002.jpg
    BA Place 002.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 446
I think that the name will officialy stay Bay-Adelaide Centre. Even if they rename it KPMG Plaza/Centre/Tower, I'm pretty sure most will refer to it as BA centre.I think a simple white KPMG logo would be quite inoffensive to the tower, and would rather suit it. Regarding the fins, I am really glad they lowered them, because now the building is a solid object, if you know what I mean. They do scream "make us taller" even more now, but we'll all get used to it =P.

But the Bay Adelaide Centre is part of a larger complex that will include more towers.

So I think it might make sense if they call this one the KPMG Tower at the Bay Adelaide Centre or something to that effect.

But the Bay Adelaide Centre is part of a larger complex that will include more towers.

So I think it might make sense if they call this one the KPMG Tower at the Bay Adelaide Centre or something to that effect.

I strongly doubt that this will be the case.

Shortly after KPMG signed up as the lead tenant, they and Brookfield were part of a panel at a real estate forum discussing the negotiations and issues involved in getting a lead tenant for a building of this sort.

KPMG stated that getting their name on the building was a big deal to them and they held out and negotiated hard for that. Brookfield, on the other hand, had just renamed BCE Place as Brookfield Place and were intent on a strategy whereby their buildings were branded in the Brookfield name....they stated/implied that they would have walked away from the KPMG deal if it was a breaking point....so the lease ended up with no naming rights (although the KPMG guy on the panel smiled and said they were still hopeful).

So, time can change anything, but I do not expect that this building will be called "KPMG anything".

I think having the signage effectively gives own a sort of de facto naming right. Give it a couple years and people will refer to it as "the KPMG tower" regardless of the official designation.

I strongly doubt that this will be the case.

Shortly after KPMG signed up as the lead tenant, they and Brookfield were part of a panel at a real estate forum discussing the negotiations and issues involved in getting a lead tenant for a building of this sort.

KPMG stated that getting their name on the building was a big deal to them and they held out and negotiated hard for that. Brookfield, on the other hand, had just renamed BCE Place as Brookfield Place and were intent on a strategy whereby their buildings were branded in the Brookfield name....they stated/implied that they would have walked away from the KPMG deal if it was a breaking point....so the lease ended up with no naming rights (although the KPMG guy on the panel smiled and said they were still hopeful).

So, time can change anything, but I do not expect that this building will be called "KPMG anything".

You're a little behind...

This is coming up at the Feb. 9 meeting of City Council.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sign Variance - 333 Bay Street
Origin
(January 6, 2009) Report from the Director, Toronto Building, Toronto and East York District
Recommendations
The Toronto Building Division recommends that:
1. Toronto and East York Community Council approve the requested variances to permit,
for identification purposes, four illuminated fascia signs, in the form of a corporate
name and logo to identify “KPMG†at the top floor level, on the north, east, south and
west elevations of the mechanical penthouse of the building at 333 Bay Street, on
condition that energy efficient lights be used, and
2. Toronto and East York Community Council direct the City Clerk's Office to advise the
applicant, upon approval of a variance, of the requirement to obtain the necessary sign
permits from the Chief Building Official.

Sorry this pic is just too big, here's the link:

Any idea how to post a thumbnail?

Last edited:
In reply, attach it from your computer (browse and upload) using the "paperclip" above the repy box or the manage attachments feature in "additional options". I have to do this as my office computer blocks me from accessing most remote file storage websites. As a result I can't even see your picture by clicking on your link!

Yes, great pic! BA and Spire help to extend the north/south skyline as viewed from the east, where it always looked rather skimpy before. It still remains relentlessly 'boxy' though with just the tiny bit of relief provided by BCE Place.

Great shot. I love how the CN Tower lookes like a giant spire attached to the top of the Canada Trust Tower. Also, I wish I had that top unit with the large terrace in the foreground.

Back