News   Jun 04, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jun 04, 2024
 561     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.4K     4 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

Drum - thanks for all the photo updates today! That last pic looking up Bay from Front is great. CCW always looks amazing from that angle...

Oct 25
From Front
2976715856_c3eb08ec6c.jpg

Gorgeous.

What ruins that building is the pole on the roof. A spire works on a building like the Empire State, Canada Trust Tower, or Q1 in Australia. On those buildings the design of the whole building leads into the spire.... it's not a pole sticking out the top of a box.

What FCP needs is a recladding like they did with AON in Chicago, not things sticking up from the roof.

While nothing special, the biggest problem I have with the NY Times' spire is that it counts towards its official height. What a cheat.

However, I'm a hypocrite, so stick one on top of FCP and let's call it our first official supertall! Or even a massive 300' one on B/A. Now that's what I call forward thinking.

Okay, so here's the really important question: does anyone know when the new segment of the PATH is scheduled to open?
I hope it opens soon. This is possibly the most important addition to the entire PATH network. I know I'm very eager to have a more direct north-south route between King and Queen.

I hope it opens soon. This is possibly the most important addition to the entire PATH network. I know I'm very eager to have a more direct north-south route between King and Queen.

yup definitely ... that was one big gap in the PATH network left behind by the previously failed Bay-Adelaide smack centre in the CBD

I hope The Bay puts some effort into their end of it. Their treatment of the old temporary entrance wasn't very inspiring.

Then again, it was only temporary.

From Sunlife Building - King & University

dsc01135ue3.jpg

It's not just the architectural firm's fault in this case: with the client backing away from the LED art component, one is prone to conclude that Brookfield, or those leasing from them, (KPMG?), are terribly conservative and want their tower to reflect that stolidness.

It is also worth noting that Scotia Plaza and Royal Bank Plaza, both of which appear near the top of the heap when fans are asked which of Toronto's skyscrapers are their favourites, are both WZMH, so that firm has not always designed dull buildings...

... but no, they are not Renzo Piano Building Workshop (just to demystify your reference, ProjectEnd).

PS - I wonder if KPMB will ever design a building for KPMG?

Back