News   Jul 17, 2024
 18     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 696     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 606     0 

Barber on Markham Bypass

Morningside should have run up Staines, too. I wonder if they're ever going to fix the Morningside & Finch & railway intersection.

Even if there is nothing wrong with this Bypass, the city should be as cooperative as possible on this project just as a message to the 905. Remember, Markham is a member of the AMO, which was responsible to Toronto losing hundreds of millions of dollars in federal gas tax funding.

Also, since the city is in complete control of Steeles, they could easily place concrete barriers alogn the north side of the street to block of access from York Region. And thus the problem of cost-sharing for the maintanence of Steeles is solved.

Morningside should have run up Staines, too. I wonder if they're ever going to fix the Morningside & Finch & railway intersection.

I could never really understand why there was that bump there in Finch and the interruption in Staines in the first place. None of it seems dictated by geography.

Also, since the city is in complete control of Steeles, they could easily place concrete barriers alogn the north side of the street to block of access from York Region. And thus the problem of cost-sharing for the maintanence of Steeles is solved.

You do realize we're completely surrounded by 905, right? If you'd like to continue being able to go anywhere else in Canada without having to pay a $50 street toll or else kayak on Lake Ontario, I'd suggest toning it down. Personally, I'd rather not see the place turn into the Soviet Union and have to show my papers to prove I have the "right" to be where I am and go where I want just to indulge everyone's pissing contests.

Markham's a different place; they can do what they want. That's the point of having separate municipalities, I thought. Or are you ready to let 905 decide whether we should have the Spadina Expressway resurrected or not?

You do realize we're completely surrounded by 905, right? If you'd like to continue being able to go anywhere else in Canada without having to pay a $50 street toll or else kayak on Lake Ontario, I'd suggest toning it down. Personally, I'd rather not see the place turn into the Soviet Union and have to show my papers to prove I have the "right" to be where I am and go where I want just to indulge everyone's pissing contests.

Yes, let us let the 905 fuck Toronto over and over and again. Toronto should not fight. :rolleyes:

Markham's a different place; they can do what they want.

Toronto's a different place; they do what they want.

Yes, let us let the 905 fuck Toronto over and over and again. Toronto should not fight. :rolleyes:

Be prepared for blowback is what I'm saying. These people in 905 are PEOPLE, same as 416ers. You push, rest assured, they'll shove. Finally, if they want to do something in their own cities that doesn't jibe with you, you have to be content with the fact that they also can't tell you what to do with yours.

This discussion seems to have strayed into a 905 vs. 416 waters. In all honesty, it's all just one big mass of city.

They've been talking about rebuilding the Morningside/Finch underpass for years... and I don't see it happening any time soon. Don't expect the 116 Morningside to head up to there until it is rebuilt, a bus can't fit under that underpass.

That being said, the new branch of the 133 Neilson up to Morningside Heights is probably the most successful new route the TTC has put in in ages.. it was pulling in a *profit* and more than qualified for additional service increases that it has gotten. There are problems though, such as the fact that most of the streets in the neighbourhood are too narrow for the route to be extended anymore, some of it because the developer claimed their residents wouldn't be using the bus anyway.

...but then the households in Morningside Heights are incredibly unique in the city as well... you have multiple families living in single family houses....

This discussion seems to have strayed into a 905 vs. 416 waters. In all honesty, it's all just one big mass of city.

I wholeheartedly agree. I only wish the political realities reflected what we all know to be true in a practical, everyday sense.

...but then the households in Morningside Heights are incredibly unique in the city as well... you have multiple families living in single family houses....

That's not unique. There's actually a fair number of "appropriate" household sizes in Morningside Heights (edit - because they were targeted to "classier" folk and cost more than the surrounding areas).

This isn't so much an issue of 416 vs. 905 as it is 416 and 905 acting as if they exist in a fictitious world where they can both exist independently of each other. It's about time that regional planning modernized to the point that we are no longer making decisions based on borders that were randomly staked out 200 years ago.

This conflict is a result of leap frogging development made possible by different municipalities having the power to build what they want, where they want, without considering the way it will impact the surrounding area. No, Markham should not be developing before roads are in place. No, Toronto should not try to create road blocks at the detriment to the surrounding population.

This isn't so much an issue of 416 vs. 905 as it is 416 and 905 acting as if they exist in a fictitious world where they can both exist independently of each other. It's about time that regional planning modernized to the point that we are no longer making decisions based on borders that were randomly staked out 200 years ago.

I'm in agreement here. I'm loathe to give Mike Harris the nod for anything sensible, but I don't think he took amalgamation far enough. He should have federated the GTA into Metro, and simplified the structure down to a half-dozen to a dozen municipalities of roughly the same size, and based their boundaries on natural features, not farming lines that are meaningless today.

I think that there is little likelihood that Harris would have created a third tier government that would have contained the ridings that sent him to office and included up to half the population of Ontario. A 'Toronto' of that size would have been a serious challenger to the position that Queens Park can exert on municipalities.

With an elected leadership, no, but perhaps just as a fairly weak service-delivery body governed by the local elected representatives. He was kind of going in that direction with the GTSB. Such a body could look after transit and potentially in the future, services like water, waste management, roads, social services, and planning. They could even throw in certain regional attractions like the Zoo.

I think that there is little likelihood that Harris would have created a third tier government that would have contained the ridings that sent him to office and included up to half the population of Ontario. A 'Toronto' of that size would have been a serious challenger to the position that Queens Park can exert on municipalities.

I agree; pretty much any premier would balk at that, unfortunately. We really need to overhaul the area. Get rid of the old artificial boundaries, reorganize them on a lower service level based on obvious geographic commonalities, and unite bindingly on the matter of higher services like the ones Unimaginative2 mentioned. But, really, I don't see it being undertaken either. Too much power for the resulting polity, and too much grief from people who can't stand change.

Back