2.8K     2 

Barber: Condo Bubble

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
Blowing that condo bubble bigger, and bigger, and bigger

JOHN BARBER

November 17, 2007

In Amsterdam in 1636, a single tulip bulb could sell for the contemporary equivalent of a nice view from the 47th floor above downtown Toronto. But the price of the condo is still rising. Nobody knows how much it will be worth tomorrow, although many are speculating.

If the inevitable real-estate cycle had any sense of drama - or farce - it would designate this week as the top of the wheel and the height of folly.

First came the money-mad "launch" of 1 Bloor East, the epitome of a frenzy. One man who held a place for a real-estate agent in the ruly mob that camped for days beneath the hoarding told The Globe and Mail he earned $2,000 for the service. Given the way prices rose throughout Tuesday's launch, that payment was likely a "sound investment," to use a phrase often heard in this market.

Every day brings more strange tales of the Bloor Street frenzy, the latest involving alleged ethnic conflicts among competing agents. The whole business is so crazy it seems fated to end badly - just as so many panicky property grabs did in 1989, when the market last collapsed.

But the 80-storey, Kazakh-financed Bloor Street tower had less than a week to shine as the city's tallest theoretical residential building before a usurper appeared. Yesterday, a competing developer unveiled an equally dramatic and potentially taller condominium tower, called Aura, to be built on Yonge Street at the northwest corner of Gerrard Street.

Height matters in this game, with steadily rising prices charted on a giddily up-thrusting skyline. Michael La Brier, president of developer Canderel Stoneridge, said that his 75-storey Gerrard Street tower will actually be taller than the 80-storey tower Bazis International wants to build on Bloor Street. But his estimate would seem to discount the "architectural fins" that knife the clouds above his competitor's building, varying in height from one sexy drawing to another, as marketing demands.

As of now, Mr. La Brier said, Aura, billed as "Canada's largest condo tower," is also taller. "If they go higher," he added, "I really don't care."

Really?

Design is the focus of a healthier competition among today's high-rise developers. Canderel Stoneridge only won approval for its tower after agreeing to spectacular architecture, as determined by what the developer called an "international architectural peer review process." The impressive design that resulted, by architects Graziani +

Corazza, has become the building's main selling point.

Meanwhile, Bazis keeps adjusting its own design. Most recently, it acquired two vastly expensive properties just south of its site in order to create a heftier base for its fin-topped tower.

The freakier the tulip, the more desirable it is - given the right circumstances.

Mr. La Brier is well aware of the phenomenon, which he described as the "greater fool theory." People will happily pay more than something is worth as long as there appears to be a renewing supply of gulls to sell it to.

That's what drove Toronto's last speculative housing boom, according to Mr. Le Brier. But this one, he insisted, is different. "Any building properly placed and properly priced will sell," he said.

As of now, prices at Aura will be about $500 a square foot, according to the developer. He expects about half the buyers to be "investors" rather than residents. As for 1 Bloor East, he added, "I don't think anybody has any idea what their pricing is."

The Toronto boom becomes all the more remarkable when seen in light of the U.S. real-estate collapse. The day people went crazy on Bloor Street, Reuters reported condo fraud so rampant that mortgages on as many as 200 suites in a single 43-storey Miami condo fell into foreclosure before anybody moved in, the result of complicated scams hinging on deliberately inflated prices.

A day later, ABC reporter Jeffrey Kofman went to Miami to report on the larger picture. "Since the South Florida condo market peaked two years ago in a frenzy of hype and a seductive aura of easy money, sales have stalled, prices have been in a free-fall," he reported. The state is now infested with "condo vultures" feasting amid the devastation.

In downtown San Diego recently, developers converted a just-completed "luxury condo" into affordable housing after wealthy buyers failed to appear. No wonder: They all joined the rush to Toronto.

If everything goes well, greater fools will soon follow to join the canny investors who are minting money in the current craze. The problem, as everybody knows, is that there are never enough of them.

jbarber@globeandmail.com

What I like is that we seem to have a height competition starting :D
I don't believe in this bubble at all. It's going to remain this way for as long as I can imagine. Will sales always be as fast? No. But it will never stop like it did in the 90's again, I don't think.

I've given up trying to predict. I have absolutely no clue where this market is headed.

I'm just curious to know how people will look back at this period say 10-15 years from now. The beginning of something great, or the beginning of the end?

I've given up trying to predict. I have absolutely no clue where this market is headed.

I'm just curious to know how people will look back at this period say 10-15 years from now. The beginning of something great, or the beginning of the end?
Buy your condo because you want to live in it longterm, and the ups and downs of the market do not affect you.

When we bought our place in Cabbagetown, we never cared if the market crashed or soared, since we never intend on selling the place.

Now, if you're looking to buy real estate as an investment or as a first step on the property ladder, with intent to sell in a few years, buying a condo would be IMO a disaster, since supply is rapidly meeting demand, and a small blip in interest rates could cause a flood of available units.

I think that the condo market will become less and less of a niche market, and become so mainstream that it will almost exactly mirror the overall housing market. In the past, when the overall housing market was down, the condo market plummeted. Or, when the housing market was good, the condo market took off like a rocket. I think that there will still be ups and downs, but the amplitude of the curve will decrease substantially.

But having said that, there will be a downturn and there will be a correction. All of the people that I know who have been in the housing market for several decades have said that during every peak, people think that the market is so strong that a downturn would be impossible. But it happens every time. The market is cyclical, and it will always be cyclical.

The difference between the market today and in 1989, at least as I understand it, is that today most people are buying condos because they want to live in them, not as secondary investments because they want to get rich quick. Along with the condo boom is coming a larger middle class population downtown, and a slew of spin-off businesses like restaurants, grocery stores, furniture stores, hardware stores, etc. To me this seems like a positive growth and a revitalization of urban Toronto, giving us an intensification of population and a nice alternative to suburban sprawl.

The condos that are triggering the most hysteria -- such as that $25 million penthouse that sold last week -- are exceptions, not the norm. Most of us are buying condos in the $200K to $400K range, which are in line with housing prices in general. Condos remain an affordable alternative to houses. The prices for "normal" condos have not really gone up any higher than the prices of houses in general, so if someone wants to insist there is a condo bubble, then they must agree there is a larger housing bubble, too. I do think that real estate prices for both condos and houses cannot keep rising so dramaticically -- history shows the markets are always cyclical -- and at least a moderate correct will hit all forms of housing, eventually.

I agree with the advice mentioned above: buy a condo you like, in a neighbourhood you like, and stay in it for the reasonably long haul. For example, we live in a decent condo in a neighbourhood we enjoy, but it's a little smaller than we like so we may want to eventually move to a larger place. But my theory is that in a few years, whether the market rises or dips, this will affect both our condo and our replacement one in roughly the same way. So if the market is booming, we sell higher and pay more for our next place. If the market is lower, we sell lower and pay less for our next place. Same difference in the end...

I like the idea of condo bubbles. Sounds very Archigram-era. Maybe Curved Space can provide the furnishings, and add a little Brian Auger Trinity vinyl on the ol' Clairtone...

The difference between the market today and in 1989, at least as I understand it, is that today most people are buying condos because they want to live in them, not as secondary investments because they want to get rich quick.

That's certainly true of some of the lower-end condos, but the 1 Bloor Easts of the world are definitely mostly investors, and mostly overseas investors at that.

Judging by the types I see and know in those Bay St condos (Rocp, burano etc) I'd estimate 75% are investor-owned; ie many students and working professionals rent those condos. Same goes for city place and especially the waterfront condos. If you wanna buy to live in a condo, try getting a unit in something more intimate--Leslieville Lofts/20 Niagara kinda joints. As the stock market goes--up and down--so goes the real estate market.

Actually, re: balance between condos and houses, it wouldn't suprise me if the next bull market cycle (2020-ish?) results in a return to low rise bungalows--condo-ized kids sick of downtown moving to ex-urbs like Etobicoke, old Oshawa, Burlington etc. Anyone else get this feeling too?

Actually, re: balance between condos and houses, it wouldn't suprise me if the next bull market cycle (2020-ish?) results in a return to low rise bungalows--condo-ized kids sick of downtown moving to ex-urbs like Etobicoke, old Oshawa, Burlington etc. Anyone else get this feeling too?

Not really...well...some will move to such suburbs, especially since some suburban areas will become very chic given transit upgrades, but will there be a house in Burlington worth less than a million dollars by then? It's not so much that they'll be sick of downtown, but that downtown may be too expensive.

I wonder if the city-wide real estate market will shift to valuing lots themselves as a standard, rather than the buildings on them. Bungalows and other low density houses tend to have wider/bigger lots, perfect for McMansions or townhouse projects. There's simply oodles of houses built in the 60s-80s that will either need to be renovated or rebuilt around 2020, and who knows what'll happen...we've seen what happened in Willowdale - will it happen, say, in Scarborough? In Rexdale? Or would people rather live in new condos? I don't know.

If huge swaths of suburbs see reinvestment, like houses in Malvern or Jane & Finch, the condo boom may suffer. But if people get out of those areas and seek better neighbourhoods, the condo boom may continue for a long time. The trick is to get them to want to live in urban condo zones instead of some greenfield house in Orangeville...urban/condo culture seems to be doing well, though, and with immigration from foreign urban areas like Hong Kong, as well as boomers retiring and echo boomers beginning to buy, the condo boom could continue for a long time.

I agree, it will be interesting to see what happens in 20 years. However, when it comes to housing choices, I think that social, technological and economic forces tend to be greater than one's wanting a change in their life.

For generations, people lived in urban, downtown settings and didn't complain. Something changed after WWII, and that was, for the first time ever, a renewed sense of optimism, availability of affordable cars, and an endless supply of cheap fuel. This lasted for decades, and for about 2-3 generations, people continued to start families in the suburbs.

Today, opposite forces are emerging, and these are an increased environmental concern, pricy real estate, and a realization that suburbs aren't as healthy as we think. So long as these forces stay, people will continue to consider higher density urban housing as a viable alternative.

If people simply chose housing because it was the opposite of what they grew up with, then the baby boomers, who grew up in inner suburbs, would have returned to the city rather than move to middle aged suburbs such as Mississauga or Thornhill.

^ Oil at $100 dollars a barrel will change the dynamic considerably especially if it keeps rising.

That's what drove Toronto's last speculative housing boom, according to Mr. Le Brier. But this one, he insisted, is different. "Any building properly placed and properly priced will sell," he said.

This is the money quote. When people start talking like this you know its time to leave the market. Remember how buying dot com stocks with no assets or revenues was ok because it was different this time?

^ Oil at $100 dollars a barrel will change the dynamic considerably especially if it keeps rising.

It won't change the dynamic considerably...people will quickly get used to $100 per barrel. Now, if it rises 10% per month, for a couple of years, then people will really consider moving out of Milton, but only after demanding every possible government action/assistance under the sun to help them stay in Milton.

Back