News   May 14, 2024
 804     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 1K     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 511     0 

Ban on Noisy Car Mufflers and Sound Boosters

Why don't we ban lousy politicans?

I'm getting sick of this government and people trying to ban everything.

Just give me my pills and straight jacket, now, please!

newuser2k9:

Some sources of noise are unavoidable; others, like mufflers and sound boosters exist with no other purpose other than to cause nuisance. One's right to do whatever they wanted stop the moment their choice started to affect others in a significant and negative way.

salmonz:

Actually, I am sick of individuals with absolutely no consideration towards others and require mufflers and sound boosters to compensate for their fragile male ego and lackings between their legs.

AoD

Last edited:
Why don't we ban lousy politicans?

I'm getting sick of this government and people trying to ban everything.

Just give me my pills and straight jacket, now, please!

+1

This is getting ridiculous. The McGuinty government has lost a ton of my respect since they started the puritanical safety crusade. They haven't found a problem yet that they couldn't legislate their way out of.

How about enforcing the laws that are on the books before making new ones?

Keithz:

How would you propose that existing legislation (if any) that deals with the area of excessive noise by vehicles be enforced (if there is such legislation at all) such that the public interest is served - the article pointed out specific difficulties in the current legal framework.

AoD

Last edited:
Keithz:

How would you propose that existing legislation (if any) that deals with the area of excessive noise by vehicles be enforced (if there is such legislation at all) such that the public interest is served?

AoD

Aren't there existing municipal noise ordinances?

Keithz:

And how well do you think municipal noise ordinances (which are intended for stationary sources of noise - e.g. construction) will work? And just what is so onerous about a piece of legislation for a specific issue - if anything, it makes for more precise application of the law and reduces confusion and the opportunity of exploitation within the justice system.

AoD

Last edited:
Keithz:

And how well do you think municipal noise ordinances (which are intended for stationary sources of noise - e.g. construction) will work?

AoD

We won't know until we try enforcing them, will we?

In this case, to be honest, I could support some kind of legislation (if and only if existing laws are inadequate in curbing the problem). But as a general tone, I am still tiring of constant legislating by this government for 'my own good'.

Look at the cellphone ban. Why did they need legislation? Why not just charge drivers using a cellphone with dangerous driving? Why do they need a specific law for cellphones? I see no specific laws for people who are eating and driving, or women putting on make-up while driving, etc.

Keithz:

We won't know until we try enforcing them, will we?

Which is the gist of the article posted.

I am still tiring of constant legislating by this government for 'my own good'.

Actually, it wasn't for your own good - it's for the good of others.

Look at the cellphone ban. Why did they need legislation? Why not just charge drivers using a cellphone with dangerous driving? Why do they need a specific law for cellphones? I see no specific laws for people who are eating and driving, or women putting on make-up while driving, etc.

Several problems - it's harder to "prove" dangerous driving than cell phone use; preventative effect - the effect of cell phone as a distraction is proven, but if you prosecute only on the basis of dangerous driving, chances are individuals will still be using their cell and not considering the distraction effect (just think what would happen if seat-belt laws aren't in place) - also don't forget that drivers tend to overestimate their driving skills - if given the choice, they think they can handle driving and using a cell at the same time safely; frequency of occurance/scale of problem - highly doubtful that eating and driving/putting occurs at nearly as high a frequency as cell phone use.

AoD

Last edited:

Back