News   Jul 16, 2024
 680     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 604     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 743     2 

Bad restaurants

while some of us had our main course already, others were still waiting. When a friend ordered a simple bowl of rice to accompany his meal, he had to wait 40 minutes for it! It was a very bad experience and I would not be going back...hence I don't even remember the name anymore.

In parts of Asia usually the dishes are all shared, so the restaurant does not view it as being overly important to bring them all out at once. Perhaps that was the case here? Happens in Korea all the time. When you go to a western style restaurant usually everything comes at once though.

In parts of Asia usually the dishes are all shared, so the restaurant does not view it as being overly important to bring them all out at once. Perhaps that was the case here? Happens in Korea all the time. When you go to a western style restaurant usually everything comes at once though.
In Asia, a good restaurant will bring a bowl a rice within a couple of minutes of you ordering it.

Seriously, even if they still had to cook the rice, it would not take them 40 minutes. If they can't deliver simple bowl of rice within a reasonable time frame even though rice is being ordered by almost every table, something is wrong...

lol, I'm reading some of the comments here about Chinese restaurants and I'm wondering if language issues might be a cause of the problems sometimes. I've found that even with my 25% mastery:) of ONE of the Chinese dialects, I am still pointing at the menu for the waitstaffers benefit...

Margarita's Fiesta Room on Baldwin Street. Average food at best and absolutely brutal service.

lol, I'm reading some of the comments here about Chinese restaurants and I'm wondering if language issues might be a cause of the problems sometimes. I've found that even with my 25% mastery:) of ONE of the Chinese dialects, I am still pointing at the menu for the waitstaffers benefit...

Language issues certainly aren't a problem for me. The service is just bad a lot of these restaurants. A few days ago I was at Yang's Kitchen in Markham. Boy, it was horrible. Orders constantly forgotten, long waits, not so friendly waiters, getting the other table's order instead, etc. No, it's not a cultural thing (in before wonderboys adopted apologetics)

- That "French" restaurant immediately east of 100 Yorkville, north side. Its abuts the wall of the development. Memorably awful!

I think was called Le Tru Normand or something like that. Ate there once for Winterlicious and it was disappointing. Dry pork chop, flavourless sauce. It seems to have been replaced with something called True Restaurant, which seems to have an organic, holistic food direction, based on its description.

Margarita's Fiesta Room on Baldwin Street. Average food at best and absolutely brutal service.

X1000. There is no excuse for middling Mexican food these days. If I can walk to La Tortilleria (for example) from your restaurant and eat food that's infinitely superior to yours for under $10, there's really no reason for you to to exist.

Generic pissoff at some Chinese restaurants

I like Chinese food but two characteristics exhibited by the wait staff at too many restaurants, good and bad, drive me nuts.

The first has to do with bottled beer, I like to fill the glass about half way but as soon as super waiter notices that he can fill the glass and ask me if I want another beer he pounces. I have had to arm wrestle my beer away from too many of these idiots, every one of them sees me not as a diner but as a consumer to be hustled as soon as possible for further profit.

My second problem has to do with buffets when slow or casual eaters are constantly harassed by hyper staff members clutching at your almost, but not completely empty plate.

Do these offenders not understand that most diners do not want to bolt down their meal and run even if it is not convenient to the management.

[/I]

Waterfalls Indian Tapas joint in K-Market is appalling--I guess that's why the place is always empty. Service took forever (only customer there was me) and food was very bland. A large but under-spiced wrap cost me $8, but for something similar, New York Sub owns them big time: more heat, more flavour, more bang for the buck, and faster service.

Here's what my bland wrap and over-cooked--hard as sticks--fries looked like:

dsc09992.jpg

Avoid this massive space at all cost! (Would work better as a club imho.)

dsc09993.jpg

Last edited:
I thought Chinese food is known to be cheap and have bad service!

I sometimes hope the service is blatantly bad, so I won't feel bad about their tip! lol

Dining in Toronto often seems to be either really crappy or else pretentious and overpriced, with exceptions of course but where are all the good neighbourhood restaurants with solid cooking, sans attitude or enormous price tag? This to me is what forms the backbone of the great 'dining' cities, how you eat day to day and not just special occasions.

Indian tapas? That's just a travesty. Also, wraps in an Indian restaurant? Sounds like a gimmicky place with nothing to offer except the gimmick.

Speaking of bad restaurants, that Mexican place just south of Bloor on Yonge was quite bad. Haven't been there in years, but the one time I went for lunch it was very disappointing.

Dining in Toronto often seems to be either really crappy or else pretentious and overpriced, with exceptions of course but where are all the good neighbourhood restaurants with solid cooking, sans attitude or enormous price tag? This to me is what forms the backbone of the great 'dining' cities, how you eat day to day and not just special occasions.

Toronto is one of the best dining cities in the world...

That's what I keep hearing but i've never had a 'wow' moment that I haven't paid dearly for, and even then it's hit and miss. I'm not trying to be facetious either my partner and I eat out quite a bit, but we also travel quite a bit and just tend to find more consistent standards in a mid range in other cities. Then again, food and drink of course, just always feel so outlandishly expensive here.

Back