News   Jul 16, 2024
 573     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 551     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 685     2 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

I chat from my balcony with my neighbour on his balcony. I grow herbs and flowers on my balcony garden. I can easily walk to restaurants, shops, coffee shops, etc. and chat with neighbours along the way. I chat with my neighbours at the pool and in the gym and at our social events. We have kids parties and movie nights. I pet dogs in the elevator and at the park. My neighbour picks up my mail when I'm away, and I move her car on garage cleaning days when she's at work. Neighbourhoods can happen anywhere.

What she said.

We had a great community on our Riverdale street before we "downsized." But now I would call the condo community amazing. We have three monthly social events, including a low cost three course luncheon for some of are older residents (it always sells out), a monthly coffee party, a recently launched and very successful TGIF BYOB. (We had too much contributed food!) We have a monthly book club, and two weekly card nights. We have dog treats in the lobby and every dog knows where they are. Once the weather warms up,we'll all be hanging out on our great grounds where our dogs chase rabbits or on our patio. Unlike Pink Lucy however I don't like to chat in the pool. I wear a waterproof iPhone so people will know I am there to work out. (I am condo prez so have to set boundaries which are usually respected.) we have BBQs and more.

Not everybody is into all this and that's their choice. But not everybody on our street was coming to the pot lucks either.

Oh and my balcony is 7 x 14. But I can't chat with Neighbours from there because we're on the side where we don't share balcony walls.

Knowing what I know now about this place, I would not have minded raising my son here.

Wow, you guys have even more fun at your building :) I think our demographic is younger so daytime events aren't popular, but weekends and evening social events are. I haven't managed to get a book club up and running yet, but I am trying!

Wow, you guys have even more fun at your building :) I think our demographic is younger so daytime events aren't popular, but weekends and evening social events are. I haven't managed to get a book club up and running yet, but I am trying!

The thing is, it's the older demo which does the heavy lifting here. The younger ones show up for the parties but the organizers are the same dedicated group of volunteers, all 65 plus.

But our demo is generally older. We have had maybe half a dozen young families move in. But the parents are busy and working. Still, it's great to see the kids playing with the dogs on the grounds or hanging together at our Christmas party or BBQs. They are not allowed at the BYOB. Most of them are girls aged 8-14. There's one very lucky boy. :)

Me, I'm trying to get a poker game going. So far I have hooked only three fish, er, players.

In the Greater Toronto Area, for example, in the last 30 years (1986 – 2016) housing prices have increased by 425 per cent, whereas in a similar 30-year period (1985 – 2015), average family income has only grown by 133 per cent. Housing prices have increased at three times the rate of income. No longer commensurate with household income levels, housing prices are driven instead by demand for high-end assets among global investors.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...ight-the-bubbles-would-burst/article34492283/

How can that be sustainable? It's actually much worse because it went 20%+ in the past year and incomes certainly didn't.

Mr. Tory said that despite a lack of good data, he has seen an estimate that there are 65,000 vacant homes across Toronto that lay dormant, a number his staff later said was based on the most recent census data.

City officials will now start using Toronto Hydro and Toronto Water data to try to refine that number, Mr. Tory said, and produce a report on the feasibility of a vacancy tax, which took effect in Vancouver Jan. 1.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ant-house-tax-on-speculators/article34491369/

That's incredible and far more than I would have expected. I can't wait to see the refined figures. It's basically half the home sales from 2016.

New York is a lot more than Manhattan. Go to Brooklyn, Queens or Staten Island and you'll find lots of single family row, semi and detached homes.

As an owner of a single family home in downtown east, I can definitely see the appeal of my arrangement over a condo. On a summer's day you'll find me on the front porch with my glass of wine talking with the neighbours, or in the backyard gardening or tinkering with my motorcycle in the shed. I love the walk-ability of my neighbourhood, within 2 mins of walking out my front door I'm chatting with my neighbours, and have walked to the pub or the shops. I've never lived in a condo, but when I visit my friend's place at Yonge and Eglinton on the 37th floor, I don't get the same positive feelings I've described.

My feeling is that people settle for a condo because that's all they can afford, vs. what they really want. So, if we want people to desire condo living, perhaps there are missing appeals that could be added? Perhaps better transit, retail, parks? I could likely be happy in a low rise condo in Corktown Common, for example due to the nice parks.

Just got back from New York actually. Brooklyn has plenty of condos. Multi million dollar ones. It's all about location. Some may like a house and some may not. This talk about people buying condos because they cant afford houses is nonsense. Might be true for some but isn't true for many including myself.

Any downtown is packed full of density. Many like to be part of the action and live in a low maintenance home. You may like mowing the lawn, shovelling snow and sitting on your porch. Many don't.

Not everyone wants a 3 bedroom house with a big backyard. I grew up in a condo and a house. I see the appeals of both.

Note sure whether to post this here or in the Family-sized Condos thread:

Raising 5 kids in a 1,000 square-foot condo
I love his minimalist approach and wish I could convince my family to take it. As it is, in my house, if it's a horizontal surface, something must be either placed or stored on it...gravity is not my friend. I think we have five or six teapots, teapots! Why? Childen abhore a vaccuum, so if there's space, they'll fill it with junk. Of course if I was a childless, bachelor hermit-type I'd likely have one chair, one plate and a spork, lol

This talk about people buying condos because they cant afford houses is nonsense. Might be true for some but isn't true for many including myself.

There are two assumptions that always drive me nuts:

* that I rent because I can't afford to buy
* that I choose condos because I can't afford a house

Ok, the second one is technically true at this point. But I was never interested in a SFH, so no loss (been there, done that).

My issues with the market have mostly revolved around quality -- just don't see it, especially in the newer condo builds. The next 10-20 years are going to be financial nightmares for many people who bought these cheap, lick-and-stick boxes. And most of the "affordable" homes are old, decrepit, and needing thousands in upgrades/repairs. To hell with that.

We rent in an older building (built early 80's) and, I must say, I'd be interested in a purchase if the price was right. But it won't be, and I can rent it for SO much cheaper and invest the difference. We can move easily, and aren't on the hook for anything that goes wrong. Of course, there are downsides, but there always are, no matter which side you are on.

I just don't see an intrinsic value in most Toronto housing stock; I see a bunch of crap for absolutely insane prices. Having a hard time feeling good about taking on such colossal debt for something that I think is low quality to begin with -- and going to cost even more down the road.

According to the average Canadian, that makes me a complete loser. Maybe so. Perhaps someday we will adopt a more European mindset around housing and there will be less stigma around renting and/or living in apartments. Until then, I guess I'll always be a "lowly" renter. Cause I sure as hell ain't paying these prices!

There are two assumptions that always drive me nuts:

* that I rent because I can't afford to buy
* that I choose condos because I can't afford a house

Ok, the second one is technically true at this point. But I was never interested in a SFH, so no loss (been there, done that).

My issues with the market have mostly revolved around quality -- just don't see it, especially in the newer condo builds. The next 10-20 years are going to be financial nightmares for many people who bought these cheap, lick-and-stick boxes. And most of the "affordable" homes are old, decrepit, and needing thousands in upgrades/repairs. To hell with that.

We rent in an older building (built early 80's) and, I must say, I'd be interested in a purchase if the price was right. But it won't be, and I can rent it for SO much cheaper and invest the difference. We can move easily, and aren't on the hook for anything that goes wrong. Of course, there are downsides, but there always are, no matter which side you are on.

I just don't see an intrinsic value in most Toronto housing stock; I see a bunch of crap for absolutely insane prices. Having a hard time feeling good about taking on such colossal debt for something that I think is low quality to begin with -- and going to cost even more down the road.

According to the average Canadian, that makes me a complete loser. Maybe so. Perhaps someday we will adopt a more European mindset around housing and there will be less stigma around renting and/or living in apartments. Until then, I guess I'll always be a "lowly" renter. Cause I sure as hell ain't paying these prices!

Our investment advisor told us to rent, not buy, when we sold our house and downsized.

It could be because he wanted the fees or our capital to play with or whatever. But I don't think so. I believe that having hundreds of thousands tied up in our condo constitutes a "dead investment" in that, we won't get a return (despite it's having increased in value about 50% since we bought in 2012) because we won't get the return until we sell and/or die.

I have no problem with renting and never did. But then, having grown up in Montreal, where there is STILL an amazing stock of affordable, spacious, solidly built duplexes, triplexes, fourplexes and low-rises in beautiful establish neighbourhoods, there is no stigma. Just Google NDG or Outremont "a louer for rent" to see some examples. Renting is what many people do in Montreal -- although since the 80s, many of these properties were converted to co-ops.

Still, the tenancy rate is higher in Quebec than in any other province -- and the provincial government takes tenants' rights very seriously. On top of that, rent is way cheaper than Toronto and Vancouver.

So yeah, the quality in Toronto sucks, including much of the old stock and those glass boxes being thrown up today. Toronto evolved differently from Montreal because -- and this is just my theory -- French Quebecers were historically tenants on the Seigneuries and, when they came to Montreal for jobs, they had no money for buying houses and, in any case, didn't feel compelled to own them (although it was very likely a dream.) Meanwhile, the immigration to Toronto came from Britain where many people were used to their narrow little row houses and accepted/expected the same here. What's more, many parts of Toronto grew up when there were streetcars -- hence streetcar suburbs like Riverdale -- while in Montreal the streetcars generally came later. When you're putting up row houses and semis very fast, as they did in the late 1800s and in post WW1 Toronto, the quality wasn't the best, which is kind of like what is happening with condos now. Who would want to live in them?

ETA: It occurs to me that, given all those monumental churches that were built in Montreal, there were many skilled trades around. Now, ironically, many of those churches are ... condos.

Last edited:
I love his minimalist approach and wish I could convince my family to take it. As it is, in my house, if it's a horizontal surface, something must be either placed or stored on it...gravity is not my friend. I think we have five or six teapots, teapots! Why? Childen abhore a vaccuum, so if there's space, they'll fill it with junk. Of course if I was a childless, bachelor hermit-type I'd likely have one chair, one plate and a spork, lol

Hah. That is why there are more and more people starting downsizing businesses. We hired somebody because I just couldn't bear to part with so much stuff. I had to have a gun held to my head.

I don't miss 99% of it now -- and I don't even remember what half of that even was.

Hah. That is why there are more and more people starting downsizing businesses. We hired somebody because I just couldn't bear to part with so much stuff. I had to have a gun held to my head.

I don't miss 99% of it now -- and I don't even remember what half of that even was.
When we moved from cabbage town to Fredericton we did a huge decluttering. Then we came back to cabbagetown from Fredericton we did another decluttering. But somehow it keeps coming.

If you still have kids, that's part of it. We gave our kids all their stuff and told them they had to deal with it themselves. We also did a ton of decluttering, moving from 3500 sq ft to 1500. It's amazing what you can find room for when you have the room and what you discover you don't really need when you don't have the room. We try to have the rule that if something new comes in, something has to go out.

I have the same rules ... except for shoes.

Actually, my biggest problem is not being able to go crazy when stuff is on sale or when you can buy in bulk, like with cleaning and other household supplies. Who has room for 108 rolls of toilet paper from Costco?

Condo living has changed my shopping habits, which is why it's super important to live in a walkable neighbourhood where you have easy access to a supermarket, drugstore, LCBO etc. Unfortunately, this is not the case with many of the older, more solidly-built and spacious condos along the DVP, the 427, Don Mills, etc. Those were constructed in the Auto Age.

Back