News   Jul 08, 2024
 120     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 646     3 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 473     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

Back then prior to 1929 I believe one could leverage the stock market at 20:1 so put down 5% and buy 100% stock.....a bit like CMHC insured mortgages. We see how that turned out and there is no reason to believe that R/E which is massively leveraged by a lot of people could endure a similar if perhaps not as drastic a fate.

Using mortgage to leverage to buy into the stock market is a really bad move and I think not many people are doing that hopefully. As for purchasing RE with small deposits. I don't think that many mortgages will default.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/10523-Baby-we-got-a-bubble!?p=651283#post651283

As per this post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amount of Years Left on
Mortgage TOTAL BC AB MB/SK ON QC ATL
5 or less 19% 15% 22% 24% 21% 15% 17%
6 to 10 19% 22% 13% 20% 21% 17% 16%
11-15 18% 18% 17% 18% 17% 20% 20%
16-20 20% 14% 21% 16% 20% 23% 17%
21-25 13% 11% 12% 11% 13% 14% 17%
Over 25 12% 20% 14% 12% 7% 12% 13%

-- Two in five (43 per cent) prefer to increase their mortgage payments
over time
-- One in five (21 per cent) opt for a lump sum payment; with the majority
(58 per cent) able to afford only a 10 per cent lump sum payment or less
-- One-quarter (24 per cent) do not make any additional payments other than
their basic mortgage payments

Only 7% require over 25 yrs to pay off their debt.

The bigger thing I would worry is if the investors don't think they can make money off RE and start pulling out of the market en masse, many people with mortgages start losing their jobs en masse, or interest rates spike up fast so people can't make payments.

Last edited:
Using mortgage to leverage to buy into the stock market is a really bad move and I think not many people are doing that hopefully. As for purchasing RE with small deposits. I don't think that many mortgages will default.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/10523-Baby-we-got-a-bubble!?p=651283#post651283

As per this post

Only 7% require over 25 yrs to pay off their debt.

The bigger thing I would worry is if the investors don't think they can make money off RE and start pulling out of the market en masse, many people with mortgages start losing their jobs en masse, or interest rates spike up fast so people can't make payments.

There is an article on the web site of I believe the National post or possibly the Globe and Mail today that suggests interest rates will stay low for at least the rest of this year and possibly much longer.

We're not comparing real estate to Nortel stocks. We're comparing real estate to diversified investments. In this comparison, I assure you, real estate always loses. Because, it's not really an investment.
In the 5 year period since 2007, real estate in Toronto has completely destroyed "diversified investments" in terms of return. It's no contest.

5 years is not long term, but nonetheless it just goes to show you your statement isn't always true.

In the 5 year period since 2007, real estate in Toronto has completely destroyed "diversified investments" in terms of return. It's no contest.

5 years is not long term, but nonetheless it just goes to show you your statement isn't always true.

Nonsense. My commodity and small-cap heavy portfolio has seen 17%, 21% and 14% returns the last three years respectively. I own gold, energy and also a lot of high yielding small cap.

I'm pretty sure my portfolio is in better shape when you factor in that a lot of it is tax sheltered in TFSAs, RRSPs and is otherwise subject to taxation as a capital gain.

Your house "investment" on the other hand must pay closing costs, property taxes, maintenance, sales tax.

Anyways... *yawn

Nonsense. My commodity and small-cap heavy portfolio has seen 17%, 21% and 14% returns the last three years respectively. I own gold, energy and also a lot of high yielding small cap.

I'm pretty sure my portfolio is in better shape when you factor in that a lot of it is tax sheltered in TFSAs, RRSPs and is otherwise subject to taxation as a capital gain.

Your house "investment" on the other hand must pay closing costs, property taxes, maintenance, sales tax.

Anyways... *yawn

I am not disagreeing with the fact that you have seen good returns brockm and congratulations. However, I would tend to argue that what you have described...commodity and small cap is anything but a diversified portfolio. You have chosen wisely but Eug's comment is not incorrect. Most would describe a diversified portfolio as 40-60% stock;30-40% bonds and 5-10% cash.
Of the stock it would be suggested that only a small portion be in "small cap". Further, it would be recommended that 1/2 be diversified out of Canada with weighting in the US, Europe(though perhaps not now) and Emerging markets. For the most part it has been bonds holding up the portfolio yields.

I would suggest that perhaps as well as intelligent investing there has been a component of luck(which all of us need) in your choices. Maybe your portfolio choices will prove less correct over the next 3 years or perhaps your returns even better. I think we can agree that likely for the next 5 years investing in real estate may not be correct. However knowing where to invest is a more difficult issue. Money is flocking to US treasuries which are hitting new lows because people are fearful to invest in the stock market. So far, the last 3 years you have done well but this is after a very low starting point after the 2008-early 2009 meltdown.

this comparison, I assure you, real estate always loses. Because, it's not really an investment.

Brock,

What an ignorance statement my friend! I assure that I have some, strike that, many, clients & friends, who have generated generational wealth through aggressively executed real estate investment strategies. Not only is 'really an investment' it has proven to be an unbelievable one for countless Canadians.

Let me ask you this- how many wealthy people do you know who acquired fortunes investing in the stock market? Of course the traders, hedge fund managers and perhaps a few senior investment bankers have earned very large sums but it has come off the backs of clients, not through their own trading activities.

Real estate offers the individual ability to generate wealth over time if done property.

Of course the wealthiest of real estate investors have generally speaking also accumulated their holdings through large scale fund management or partnerships as well and I note that trend looks to be more prevalent in today's real estate tycoon vs one of 20 yrs ago.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that you have seen good returns brockm and congratulations. However, I would tend to argue that what you have described...commodity and small cap is anything but a diversified portfolio. You have chosen wisely but Eug's comment is not incorrect. Most would describe a diversified portfolio as 40-60% stock;30-40% bonds and 5-10% cash.
Of the stock it would be suggested that only a small portion be in "small cap". Further, it would be recommended that 1/2 be diversified out of Canada with weighting in the US, Europe(though perhaps not now) and Emerging markets. For the most part it has been bonds holding up the portfolio yields.

I would suggest that perhaps as well as intelligent investing there has been a component of luck(which all of us need) in your choices. Maybe your portfolio choices will prove less correct over the next 3 years or perhaps your returns even better. I think we can agree that likely for the next 5 years investing in real estate may not be correct. However knowing where to invest is a more difficult issue. Money is flocking to US treasuries which are hitting new lows because people are fearful to invest in the stock market. So far, the last 3 years you have done well but this is after a very low starting point after the 2008-early 2009 meltdown.

Owning a lot of small cap is a time intensive thing to be done right. It requires an actively managed portfolio. That said, I tend to own companies I know personally and understand their customers and their markets. Thus, most of my small cap is Canadian.

I'm also a very contrarian investor. I bought Prime Restaurants at a time that everyone else was dumping it because I thought their management were taking good steps to get things in order. That worked out exceptionally well for me.

You could say my investment approach is very Warren Buffet-like. I tend to look at companies everyone is running away from because they're dumping all cyclicals, etc. And I've had some good luck at finding the diamonds in the rough.

Brock,

What an ignorance statement my friend! I assure that I have some, strike that, many, clients & friends, who have generated generational wealth through aggressively executed real estate investment strategies. Not only is 'really an investment' it has proven to be an unbelievable one for countless Canadians.

Let me ask you this- how many wealthy people do you know who acquired fortunes investing in the stock market? Of course the traders, hedge fund managers and perhaps a few senior investment bankers have earned very large sums but it has come off the backs of clients, not through their own trading activities.

Real estate offers the individual ability to generate wealth over time if done property.

Of course the wealthiest of real estate investors have generally speaking also accumulated their holdings through large scale fund management or partnerships as well and I note that trend looks to be more prevalent in today's real estate tycoon vs one of 20 yrs ago.

I'm not doubting that people have made great sums of money in real estate. Hell, I used to work in Real Estate Capital Markets for Wachovia in the US. So, contrary to what you may think, I know quite a bit about real estate investment.

My point is, I don't think investing in a personal home is an "investment". It's a lifestyle choice. The only reason it seems like an investment is because we've had price appreciation greater than wage growth and inflation for 30-years. I am making the bold claim that I do not believe this trend will continue. I believe it is an unsustainable meta-cycle, wherein we've over-leveraged our economy.

I even wrote about this in the National Post (it made the front page): http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/10/04/mike-brock-the-hidden-canadian-housing-bubble/

I'm not doubting that people have made great sums of money in real estate. Hell, I used to work in Real Estate Capital Markets for Wachovia in the US. So, contrary to what you may think, I know quite a bit about real estate investment.

My point is, I don't think investing in a personal home is an "investment". It's a lifestyle choice. The only reason it seems like an investment is because we've had price appreciation greater than wage growth and inflation for 30-years. I am making the bold claim that I do not believe this trend will continue. I believe it is an unsustainable meta-cycle, wherein we've over-leveraged our economy.

I even wrote about this in the National Post (it made the front page): http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/10/04/mike-brock-the-hidden-canadian-housing-bubble/

I would agree and hence deleveraging has to occur. That said, my own personal belief is that economists/politicians/planners have it wrong when they look at the developed economies and assume we will continue to have 2-3% growth on an ongoing basis. I believe we borrowed 10-20 years of forward growth and I do not believe we will grow our way out of the mess we find ourselves in. As such, I think the developed world economies (barring a large technological advance, other unexpected productivity gain, or new "revolution" of some sort that changes the rules) will just sputter along much as Japan has now, Europe seems to be entering, and the US is facing.

I think it will be difficult to get the outsized returns you quoted the past 3 years. Not impossible but very tough. The reason so much money is going into bonds and driving returns towards "zero" is in my view partially explained by people realizing that "growth" will not occur. It has not occurred (to any degree) with QE despite bloating the Fed balance sheet and I believe people just will not have money to allow these corporate balance sheets to grow. I hope I am wrong but I have been investing (not very well I should say) for many decades and for the first time in 2008 and onwards I have had great difficulty figuring out where or how to invest safely bearing in mind safety of my capital rather than return on my capital.

Last edited:
i think there was a misunderstanding.
the text was: "Anyways, real estate *can* drop to zero. If you don't have home insurance and your house burns down, for instance."
it about real estate (which can be different than "home", about a home or something personal; it was a little confusing, all doors open.
so everybody is right.
if you have 100 houses/apartments they are investment; if they are in manhattan they are the best investment, solid huge returns. if you have one house/apartment that may be a house.
bob hope had about 1000 properties in real estate and he was quite rich and successful.

Toronto not in condo bubble: RBC

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/07/24/toronto-not-in-condo-bubble-rbc/

The basic summary is they predict a small price decline and a continuation of new construction though possibly at a reduced rate.

Probably right for downtown. Unless something major happens for commutes (DRL in place or frequent GO service appears) there will still be couples who work downtown (at relatively high salary) trying to avoid the commute.

More jobs downtown really means more residences downtown. Obviously a reversal of downtowns job growth will immediately kill demand for downtown condos.

Not that I think the insane build out rate will continue. Miami's boom was about 50,000 units in total and Toronto seems to be selling that every 2 years. I think we could sustain 10,000 units per year though with half of that downtown.

Last edited:
i think there was a misunderstanding.
the text was: "Anyways, real estate *can* drop to zero. If you don't have home insurance and your house burns down, for instance."
it about real estate (which can be different than "home", about a home or something personal; it was a little confusing, all doors open.
so everybody is right.
if you have 100 houses/apartments they are investment; if they are in manhattan they are the best investment, solid huge returns. if you have one house/apartment that may be a house.
bob hope had about 1000 properties in real estate and he was quite rich and successful.

There is no doubt that people can make money in real estate, as I've said. Real estate can, in fact, generate revenue through rent.

Most real estate investors buying condos as "investment properties" are not terribly concerned about generating income through rent. They merely see rent as a way to cover or temper the carrying costs, with the goal of cashing out the investment through higher future valuations on the property itself.

But that's the bubble mentality right there.

The goal is not income from rent. In fact, I know several people who own "investment condos" who are cashflow negative. They'll accept a $100/month loss on the property, because they can't command a high enough rent to fully account for the carrying costs.

But that's "okay" to them, because they're expecting to flip the property for $100k+ profit in five years.

In my investment mentality, this is almost the definition of insanity. I don't think it's *ever* okay to be cashflow negative on an investment. That should be the first sign to someone that stuff is out of whack. If you can't command a rent at carrying costs, then rent is too low relative to cost. If that's true, it probably means that the cost is too high. And indeed, rent-price ratios in Toronto are well above their 30-year highs.

This point is also something which must be considered by people who claim to support the price appreciation through underlying demographics -- immigration, people moving downtown. If the live-in demand is so damned high, then why aren't the rents tracking price increases? This divergence suggests, at least, that without low-interest mortgages, the market would not support price appreciation, since the modest rent price growth to sale price growth suggests that the affordability of downtown living is hitting a ceiling; underlying wage growth is not sufficient to support rental price appreciation commensurate with the underlying cost.

In that sense, this is as classic as a housing bubble can be -- prices out of a whack with demand. And when I say demand, I don't mean, people "willing to take on mortgages at current interest rates". I mean, people wiling to pay market rent, commensurate with the cost of the real estate.

Here's a simple thought: what do you think would happen to the housing market if the Bank of Canada overnight rate were to be say, oh, I don't know... pulled up to 3.25%? Which isn't even high by historical standards.

Last edited:
Interesting article from the globe today: Why have home prices soared?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...prices-soared-its-fundamental/article4437090/

Personally I think the biggest risk is a stagnant economy or worse recession/depression - leading to job losses and repressed wages; not increases in interest rates.

Contrary to the G&M article, the issue is not the interest rate per se, but access to credit at these rates. Look at the US right now, "absolute historically low" interest rates and still very few buying.

Why?

It should be painfully obvious by now. People who can't afford to buy a house are not being allowed to buy one. The stock market crash, job losses, etc..all started with loans to lemmings who could not carry the debt. The slow realization that the CDOs based on these bogus loans (increase in missed payments, for example) triggered the massacre that still lingers to this day. While this logic would suggest that Canada is different, is there really a difference between a sub-prime US mortgage and a "solid" Canadian mortgage based on 0~5% down and 40 yr amortization? If you have to stretch yourself this far out, do you think you can really afford the mortgage? Really?

In my opinion, I would be more worried about other emerging investment vehicles.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...first-year-over-year-increase-since-2007.html

Last edited:
There is no doubt that people can make money in real estate, as I've said. Real estate can, in fact, generate revenue through rent.

Most real estate investors buying condos as "investment properties" are not terribly concerned about generating income through rent. They merely see rent as a way to cover or temper the carrying costs, with the goal of cashing out the investment through higher future valuations on the property itself.

But that's the bubble mentality right there.

The goal is not income from rent. In fact, I know several people who own "investment condos" who are cashflow negative. They'll accept a $100/month loss on the property, because they can't command a high enough rent to fully account for the carrying costs.

But that's "okay" to them, because they're expecting to flip the property for $100k+ profit in five years.

In my investment mentality, this is almost the definition of insanity. I don't think it's *ever* okay to be cashflow negative on an investment. That should be the first sign to someone that stuff is out of whack. If you can't command a rent at carrying costs, then rent is too low relative to cost. If that's true, it probably means that the cost is too high. And indeed, rent-price ratios in Toronto are well above their 30-year highs.

This point is also something which must be considered by people who claim to support the price appreciation through underlying demographics -- immigration, people moving downtown. If the live-in demand is so damned high, then why aren't the rents tracking price increases? This divergence suggests, at least, that without low-interest mortgages, the market would not support price appreciation, since the modest rent price growth to sale price growth suggests that the affordability of downtown living is hitting a ceiling; underlying wage growth is not sufficient to support rental price appreciation commensurate with the underlying cost.

In that sense, this is as classic as a housing bubble can be -- prices out of a whack with demand. And when I say demand, I don't mean, people "willing to take on mortgages at current interest rates". I mean, people wiling to pay market rent, commensurate with the cost of the real estate.

Here's a simple thought: what do you think would happen to the housing market if the Bank of Canada overnight rate were to be say, oh, I don't know... pulled up to 3.25%? Which isn't even high by historical standards.

Well thought out brockm:

However, I can't talk for "most" real estate investors but personally I actually buy for cash flow (hence why I have not purchased anything since 2008 since I could no longer justify even low cash flows when the market got beyond $450-500/sq.ft. for condos at least.

Capital appreciation for me is a "long term" phenomenon since I use the rental revenue as an income source. It is low at present but so is return on bonds (the interest component since I am not in the business of buying and selling bonds for capital appreciation).

Those who buy with negative cash flow with the assumption that the real estate will automatically increase by a $100K are simply gambling. That has been the case the past 15 years but probably will not be the case going forward.

Fundamentals....Rents that are positive is a necessity in the long term though one can ride out a brief period of negative returns. However, the latter is not a long term investment strategy.

Back