News   Jul 17, 2024
 324     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 574     0 

Baby, we got a bubble!?

For what it's worth... and I know that home appraisals are wrought with various issues... my (detached) home was appraised (by the bank) in Feb/March 2009 at about what it was appraised at in summer 2007 (by another bank). I renegotiated my mortgage in March 2009 because of the excellent interest rates at that time, hence the second appraisal. At that time home prices were only starting to get out of the toilet.

Well, now it's March 2010, and one of the banks is stealing my mortgage business away from my existing lender, with a cash deal and an even better rate, so I'm getting yet another appraisal again. So, 3 appraisals in less than 3 years.

It will be interesting to see if they actually increase the appraised amount significantly, and by "signficantly" I mean over 10%. (It might be a somewhat inaccurate comparison though, since my my finished basement is no longer finished. It's gutted for my renovation.) However, I wouldn't be surprised if it was "only" 5%+ more, and 20% more seems wickedly overpriced IMHO.

You bring up an interesting point many times discussed in other areas on this forum. Comparing the same house that resold 2 years apart (presumably with no capital improvement to the property) is a more interesting comparison. Given that the high end absolutely stopped 1 and 1/2 years ago and that the low end still had sales; and given that the high end is now selling again, this is skewing the data to suggest a much higher "average price" as there is more relative volume of homes being sold with a higher price tag. My view is that while things are definately up, it is not the 20% for someone selling the same property unless they happen to have bought at exactly the bottom (perhaps March 2009 and a more expensive property that came down more). My guess is that in Toronto it is closer to 10% on average for the same property over 2 years.

The measurement you describe, of price differences in the sale of the same property (a.k.a "sales pair"), is exactly what the Teranet House Price Index (http://www.housepriceindex.ca/Default.aspx) tries to measure. (The "Methodology" page gives a good explanation). Your 10% guess is about right.

If you were to sell after only two years, however, you would lose most of your gains to transaction costs.

The Teranet data only goes up to Dec. 2009. (There is a 3 month lag.) So, there is no way to compare March 2008 vs. March 2010 using that data.
FWIW, March 2008 has an index score of 112.4 and March 2009 has a score of 104.7. The low point was April 2009 at 104.1. Dec. 2009 was 119.7.

Thus, March 2010 is probably in the 120s, but it's anyone's guess how far.
120 would be a 2008-2010 increase of 6.8%, 125 would be an 11.2% increase, and 130 would be a 15.7% increase.

CREA’s multiple coffer service

Artificially high prices overstimulate supply and suppress demand, hence we should expect there to be an excess of real estate agents. And sure enough there is. Last January, Michael Polzler, a RE/MAX executive, wrote to his colleagues that “Our industry is overrun by part-timers who lack the knowledge and experience to service their clients adequately.”

He noted that 53% of agents do not on average do one deal a quarter, “yet are prepared to provide guidance to buyers and sellers making the largest single financial transaction of their lifetime.”

Mr. Polzler claimed that it was time to put the professionalism back in the profession, but with all due respect, although they perform useful services, and many of them are very bright, real estate agents do not rank with brain surgeons.

Mr. Polzler wants to tighten licencing requirements, or have an apprenticeship program (a classic means of restricting access to any trade), but the “problem” could be solved by simply allowing more competition, which would lower fees and squeeze out the amateurs.

It is significant meanwhile that this flood of part-time agents looking for their quick commission killing hasn’t resulted in any downward movement on fees. The system attracts part-timers but not innovators. Indeed, so far it bans them.

And in related news, Mr.Michael Pozner has just set the one day record for most "defriendings" on the realtor section of his facebook profile.:D

And in related news, Mr.Michael Pozner has just set the one day record for most "defriendings" on the realtor section of his facebook profile.:D

Mike's been beating this drum for a long time

CREA’s multiple coffer service

Artificially high prices overstimulate supply and suppress demand, hence we should expect there to be an excess of real estate agents. And sure enough there is. Last January, Michael Polzler, a RE/MAX executive, wrote to his colleagues that “Our industry is overrun by part-timers who lack the knowledge and experience to service their clients adequately.”

Mr. Polzler wants to tighten licencing requirements, or have an apprenticeship program (a classic means of restricting access to any trade), but the “problem” could be solved by simply allowing more competition, which would lower fees and squeeze out the amateurs.

It is significant meanwhile that this flood of part-time agents looking for their quick commission killing hasn’t resulted in any downward movement on fees. The system attracts part-timers but not innovators. Indeed, so far it bans them.

OMG ... someone forgot to drink their kool-aid this morning !
Someone is going to get reprimanded by CREA.

People are charging $700 psf for assignments at maple leaf square (thats higher than ice and ice2 that will be ready in 2013-2104)

But are they getting it? I can ask what I want but that is not necessarily what I get. That said, it seems high and "frothy", usually what one sees before the end is near.

But are they getting it? I can ask what I want but that is not necessarily what I get. That said, it seems high and "frothy", usually what one sees before the end is near.

I had a realtor send me the recent solds at Grand Trunk, from what they sent me they were at a more reasonable non frothy $490psf.

Is this really a bubble? I really don't think so.
I just read through this thread, and find a lot of the opinions interesting! And there are other perspectives to take into account on the Toronto real estate market, that include geopolitical factors and economic factors. Someone mentioned the immigration factor and couples moving into the city as well.

Both those factors contribute to the growth of the Toronto condo market. More specifically Chinese immigration. The condo footprint that is tolerable by immigrants from Asia is much smaller than what a lot of us would consider livable. If anyone has been to Hong Kong and been into some of the upper end Condo's you would notice that they are very small. Not to mention the population per square foot in the region is much higher. That demographic from both China and its little Hong Kong province has been driving the Toronto condo market for quite a while. If a developer then realizes that he can double his units and use a smaller building footprint, and keep the price the same, and he will have clients lining up out the door, It only makes sense that he does it. Hong Kong is not the only place. Living in London UK you will find the same thing within the city, but at double the rates we pay here, Paris is also much the same, as is Berlin,

Further when the local population wants to move into the city and realizes that some of those smaller world war 2 houses that were built along all the one way streets are out of reach because they are getting $500,000.00+ for them, and then they look at a new condo, sitting near the water, or near the Skydome, ACC, or other very convenient areas, it just makes more sense to get into a small 2 bedroom for $300K. First time buyers cant afford the small home anymore in Toronto. They have to go to the condo, and when you consider what I mentioned above about the trend being set by developers and asian appetite, you have this sector of the population also jockeying for spaces in these new buildings.

The other thing is the recent credit collapse in the US and how it has effected other markets. The real estate market has almost completely imploded, everything has slowed down and people cannot get mortgages, jobs are being lost etc. A lot of overseas investors from Asia, and Europe, and the Middle East North Africa Region are not comfortable with the US market. This, coupled with the fact that Canada came out relatively unscathed in the whole debacle, creates a very attractive market for people investing. Further when you compare the price per sq/ft and realize that you can get into a new project off the plans at about $450 a foot, and know that it will increase in price because the projects tend to sell out quickly, it makes perfect sense to buy. I was involved in a project down in Liberty Village a while back for an investor client, and the building sold out the day of public opening. Toronto's condo market is unique, in that it is still somewhat undervalued for a large metropolitan city. We have green space, we have a good banking system that is stable, and the country's reputation as a good place to come live is contributing to the boom.

Some people say oh the developers are driving the market and that this so called bubble has got to do with them, or that there are too many real estate agents and that is driving the market and creating this percieved bubble. In reality Builders/Developers/Agents only stay in the sector and start new projects if they can see a profit in it.
Nobody is going to be silly enough to invest 5+ years and millions of dollars assembling the land, getting the zoning and permits, borrowing money from the banks and creditors if there is no market for the condos. These are businessmen that intimately understand the risks involved and how to calculate them. Yes companies like Lehmans took a bath, and a few projects got stalled, and the reality is that they are back on the go, and the buyers are lined up around the block with deposit cheques. The issue stalling a lot of these projects out was the lack of1st and 2nd round finance! not the end buyers!

It is true Toronto did stall out in 2008/09 for a little bit, but not because it was our economy going into the toilet. It was the buyers and sellers fear about the market down south and how it may effect us. Well the effect never happened and people started breathing again, and started buying again.

Our credit market DID tighten up, and now a lot of people who could have gotten a home with a lower beacon score, cannot any longer, this sector them become potential renters, who still want to move into the city. So investment has become more attractive to those that have access to capital. (remember we are a global economy now and so we cannot just look at local GDP as an indicator of financial viability for the population) Those people are more often foreign investors or first time buyers, looking for a condo, that have kept their credit immaculate.

So all these people going on about the bubble should consider all the factors. Yes we may end up with a dip, or a slowdown, etc, but as long as we still seem attractive to the foreign immigrant investor, our country has a good reputation, our banking system remains responsible, and our square footage prices remain below world market value, I think its going to stay vibrant, and there is opportunity to make money.

I personally advise my clients in this regard. Believe me, I would not referring them to a developer to buy up a few units as an investment, if I thought they were going to lose money. My relationship with my clients, who happen to be high-net-worth and Ultra-high-net-worth clients is far too important to me. Further, I advise them to consider these investments on a long hold view, with possibilities of rental income based on what was mentioned above.

In essence the Toronto Market is not a bubble! the bubble is south of the border, and it popped over a year ago!

PS check out a good friend of ours who is considered a Toronto Condo Market Guru and developer to see what he says!

[video=youtube;77bYVWerTvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77bYVWerTvw[/video]

If you are a foreign investor and looking for advice on how to move into the Canadian Market, looking to immigrate, or need advice on handling family assets, let me know. We can help.

Cheers
Ron Janjua MSc. JD
Director of Global Business Development
Pace Global Advantage
www.paceglobaladvantage.com/pga/partners.php

Last edited:
Is this really a bubble? I really don't think so.

Some people say oh the developers are driving the market and that this so called bubble has got to do with them, or that there are too many real estate agents and that is driving the market and creating this percieved bubble. In reality Builders/Developers/Agents only stay in the sector and start new projects if they can see a profit in it.
Nobody is going to be silly enough to invest 5+ years and millions of dollars assembling the land, getting the zoning and permits, borrowing money from the banks and creditors if there is no market for the condos. These are businessmen that intimately understand the risks involved and how to calculate them. Yes companies like Lehmans took a bath, and a few projects got stalled, and the reality is that they are back on the go, and the buyers are lined up around the block with deposit cheques. The issue stalling a lot of these projects out was the lack of1st and 2nd round finance! not the end buyers!

It is true Toronto did stall out in 2008/09 for a little bit, but not because it was our economy going into the toilet. It was the buyers and sellers fear about the market down south and how it may effect us. Well the effect never happened and people started breathing again, and started buying again.

So all these people going on about the bubble should consider all the factors. Yes we may end up with a dip, or a slowdown, etc, but as long as we still seem attractive to the foreign immigrant investor, our country has a good reputation, our banking system remains responsible, and our square footage prices remain below world market value, I think its going to stay vibrant, and there is opportunity to make money.

I personally advise my clients in this regard. Believe me, I would not referring them to a developer to buy up a few units as an investment, if I thought they were going to lose money. My relationship with my clients, who happen to be high-net-worth and Ultra-high-net-worth clients is far too important to me. Further, I advise them to consider these investments on a long hold view, with possibilities of rental income based on what was mentioned above.

In essence the Toronto Market is not a bubble! the bubble is south of the border, and it popped over a year ago!

PS check out a good friend of ours who is considered a Toronto Condo Market Guru and developer to see what he says!

[video=youtube;77bYVWerTvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77bYVWerTvw[/video]

If you are a foreign investor and looking for advice on how to move into the Canadian Market, looking to immigrate, or need advice on handling family assets, let me know. We can help.

Cheers
Ron Janjua MSc. JD
Director of Global Business Development
Pace Global Advantage
www.paceglobaladvantage.com/pga/partners.php

You have summarized alot of the views on this forum and in other spots, however, I do believe some of the points deserve perhaps further consideration.
"these are businessmen who ultimately understand the risks and know how to calculate them". I would suggest the Reichmann's in their era were considered the top shrewdest businessman with regard to real estate on the planet and we all know how that ended up. I am not suggesting they were not brilliant and ahead of their time, it is just that sometimes events, often unexpected or porlonged can overtake even the brightest minds.
In the US and Dubai, are you suggesting these businessmen "understood all the risks and how to calculate them" because clearly, even if not through their own fault, these businessmen got it wrong. All I am trying to point out is yes, businessmen make informed, knowledgeable decisions.

In the US, the smartest/brightest went to Goldman Sachs in the financial industry as they could make tons of money. Reality: if the US did not bail them out along with everyone else and allow AIG to survive which effectively flowed money back to Goldman Sachs and support the US, they would be toast today as well. surely, these were people who "ultimately understand risks"????

A few years ago," Long Term Capital" invested in the US derivatives market if I recall correctly. I recall the 3 principals were Harvard scholars, 2 Nobel Peace Prize winners. Surely people we would respect and consider "informed and knowledgeable". Long Term Capital went bankrupt and the US government along with the brokerages had to pick up the pieces to prevent a financial meltdown. My point with these examples are that even brilliant businessmen "do get it wrong". The above said, I agree I would rather follow brilliant businessmen and value their opinion. However, recall, it is in fact their opinions. And remember, the average self made entrepreneur makes and loses a million dollars on average 3 times, at least that is what I have heard quoted. The average person here cannot afford to take those risks nor would he/she be willing to do so.

I have grave concerns when "investors" are the basis for the market here. This if anything, I believe makes the market more unstable. End users buying can sustain a market. Investors by definition look for the best/safest returns and invest there. So if tomorrow Australia becomes the new hot spot, and the Canadian returns are not as good, will not logically that money in Canada seek to reinvest there. And if the people locally cannot sustain a $600/sq. ft price, does this not mean ultimately a fall in real estate here. As well, if there is panic, as we saw last year, one sees how quickly and dramatically market sentiment can change. to suggest that there would be no more unexpected bad events or that we will necessarily come through the next crisis, whatever it is, as relatively unscathed as we did this time, may be a bit of rose coloured projection.

You have acknowledged you are in the business of hi net worth clients. I can't purport to speak for them. I know Brad Lamb as well though I have not watched the video you posted. Please recall, Brad as a developer now, and as a realtor, may be (and I believe him to be one of the brightest minds in Toronto real estate) but the reality is his perspective is skewed as yours might be with a believe that things will go up and further even if not believed would put this view forward. I do not say this to suggest either of you do not believe your views. I am simply saying that when your livelihood depends on real estate increasing so that development will occur, or that money flows to Canada, this I am sure you would agree, this would at least offer the potential to taintone's view. Please note: I am not saying this is happening here, just stating it might be less objective than someone who has no vested interest as it were for real estate to continue to increase in value.

all of the above said, I concur there is no large bubble. However, I do believe that people are being lulled into a false sense of security that because things did not go too badly (other than oct 2008 to April 2009 in real estate), I still think things have gotton ahead of themselves for reasons in previous posts.

I had a realtor send me the recent solds at Grand Trunk, from what they sent me they were at a more reasonable non frothy $490psf.

I believe Grand Trunk is in Etobicoke. If this is correct, then I would think close to $500 outside the core is hefty.

However, at least this explains why Liberty Village at $410/sq. ft that I paid for something to be built 3 years going forward may be reasonable.

the other problem, already discussed, is at $500 or $600/sq. ft. the economics of investing are questionable I believe if one is looking to rent out the property. Brian, rents have not gone up much in the past 10 years and without significant wage increases, I suspect this will be the case going forward the next few years at least.

Re: Immigrants

It should be noted that many immigrants get used to the size differences between Toronto and their native countries very, very quickly, and these same immigrants also value neighbourhoods conducive to raising kids. Although there are increased numbers of people raising kids in small condos, the default is still to move out of condos into bigger homes when the little one comes along, if they can afford to that is, regardless if they're 3rd generation Canadians or new immigrants.

Remember, they aren't building very many 3 bedroom condos downtown, and the 1-2 bedroom units are becoming tinier and tinier. Look around most condos and you'll see lots of singles and couples, some babies, and very, very few 12 year old kids.

If the immigrants-are-used-to-tiny-places phenomenon were as important as some suggest, then Richmond Hill wouldn't be so Chinese today.

While I definitely think this is a frothy market (to the tune of 20% in condos and maybe 10% in houses), I think we will increasingly see a stratification between larger condos and smaller ones, with larger ones beginning to command more PSF for several reasons: 1) Many people who have fallen in love with condo living over the past 10 years will want to move up in size but not to a house, 2) the vast majority of condos coming onto the market are below 700 sf and the vast majority of the stock already built is small, so the supply is substantially less. It is possible that larger condos won't drop as much as smaller ones. However, if detached housing prices drop substantially, then larger condo's will follow suit even more dramatically.

Back