News   May 09, 2024
 471     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 788     1 

AWFUL Shoreline Food, Island Food

Mystic Point

Member Bio
Reaction score
I was riding my bike on the Island last week, and then along the Martin Goodman Trail from the Humber River to the Don.

What's with the incredibly bad, gross, awful selection of restaurants?

It's all garbage and junk food.

Someone told me, one guy, or one family has the sole rights to all the restaurants along the shoreline and the Island.

Does anyone know if this is true? And who is this guy? And why can't we have a selection of really great restaurants on the Island and the Shoreline?

Am I right to suspect this is just another example of a corrupt City Hall?

I was riding my bike on the Island last week, and then along the Martin Goodman Trail from the Humber River to the Don.

What's with the incredibly bad, gross, awful selection of restaurants?

It's all garbage and junk food.

Someone told me, one guy, or one family has the sole rights to all the restaurants along the shoreline and the Island.

Does anyone know if this is true? And who is this guy? And why can't we have a selection of really great restaurants on the Island and the Shoreline?

Am I right to suspect this is just another example of a corrupt City Hall?

I don't know about Goodman Trail but I do know that for all of the islands - from Hanlans pt to Ward Island - the Food Concessions are operated by JUST ONE company - BEASELY AMUSEMENTS. This is the company that operates the Centre Island amusement park. This is why if you try to buy a bottle of Water on Hanlans point you will have to pay the same RIP-OFF prices charged at Centre Island ($2.69 for a bottle of water!!!). I don't know if this is an example of corruption at City Hall. It could well be or it could just be an example of stupidity. Had the City granted licences to scores of food vendors instead of just one we would have competition in prices and greater variety.

It's difficult to have a decent restaurant on the Island because it would essentially be a seasonal operation.

That disgusting Brazilian import Brahma seems to have cornered the market on beer in private/public spaces like the Islands.

I don't know about Goodman Trail but I do know that for all of the islands - from Hanlans pt to Ward Island - the Food Concessions are operated by JUST ONE company - BEASELY AMUSEMENTS. This is the company that operates the Centre Island amusement park.

Ah, that explains it. All the food is supervised by Riverdale High's cafeteria cook, Miss Beasley

So who are BEASELY AMUSEMENTS and how did they get this monopoly?

And who do we speak to about adding a more competition to this dreadful mix?

The Karma Cafe or whatever they are called on Wards are exemption from my criticism. It's not really great. However, it's light years ahead of the cat food BEASELY AMUSEMENTS and PIZZA PIZZA are serving up.

One of most disgusting " restaurants " on the lake shore is MR J's DELI ON THE BEACH. Located at the foot of Cherry Beach. The french fries are so repulsive not even the seagulls will eat them.

It's amazing for a city with so much GREAT food. Head down to the shore and you're back in Barrie 1972.

Does anyone know who or what department at City Hall is responsible for awarding Beasley a monopoly? And what on earth would be the rational?

Probably not so much a monopoly situation, as an entropy situation, i.e. carried over from past regimes to the point where it's become ingrown...

So who are BEASELY AMUSEMENTS and how did they get this monopoly?

This monopoly was awarded in 2002 (replacing another monopoly) . Details can be found in this city document http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2002/agendas/committees/edp/edp020327/it008.pdf

I don't know if terms of the agreement have been updated but in 2002 the minimum rent that the city was guaranteed to recieve in exchange for granting this monopoly was just $375,000 per year!!! This paltry amount would not go very far to pay for the upkeep of the park. Its a rotten situation all around. The city is receiving in revenue a fraction of what it costs to maintain the park and the people paying for the upkeep of the park are being gouged every time they buy food or drink. As an example of how outrageous the price gouging is consider this; the vending machines placed around the island to dispense softdrinks and water do not indicate the price that you will pay. The SMALLEST bill that they accept is FIVE DOLLARS!!! I wonder how much change you get back???

The entire islands are a missed opportunity, IMO. Hanlan's Point is disgusting. Dirty. Few picnic tables. I wonder if a business model (let alone the archaic LCBO rules) would allow for a license patio at the beach?

My bad, this is Toronto the Good, so many ways stuck in the 1950s.

Then again, with the crappy weather we have here (not many people use the island pre-May 24 or post Labor Day or off weekends), I wonder if there is a business model to upgrade these facilities. Would anyone want to bother, given the extreme seasonality of the island.

I used to tie my boat up there, but they charge outrageous moorage fees. There are better places to go anyway.

I made my first trip to Toronto Island last month. I was so surprised to see how run down parts of the Island are. Those water fountains they have through out the island look like they are from the 60s or 70s they need some up dating. I saw a lot of vandalism that needs cleaning up and those change rooms and washrooms near the beach are freaking disgusting! Hold it in until your back to main land if you can!

I don't know if terms of the agreement have been updated but in 2002 the minimum rent that the city was guaranteed to recieve in exchange for granting this monopoly was just $375,000 per year!!! This paltry amount would not go very far to pay for the upkeep of the park.

May I presume you've seen the annual revenues of this monopoly to consider a MINIMUM of $375,000 in annual rent worth three exclamation points? Whether $375,000 is enough to maintain the park in a state of good repair or not should be beside the point , right?

P.S. certainly should be ample enough for general upkeep

Back