News   Jul 23, 2024
 97     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 216     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1K     2 

Awesome Torontoist Photo

Very nice pano. I guess I won't need to go up the tower anytime soon. That's the first overhead view I've seen of the waterfront 'beach'- looks nice.

allaboot:

Indeed - I am shocked by how many parking lots still remain - and how, inspite of these "wounds", the area remained relatively urban.

3D:

Well, I thought the way the panorama depicted various projects sites nothing less than "awesome". Perhaps stupendous should have been a better descriptor...

The world coming to an end? According to the Mayans, we are 5 years away...

AoD

Pfff... if the Mayans were any good at prediction, they would have seen their own demise. Much like Ms. Cleo.

And yes that shot is a geek's delight.

Canuck:

Totally OT, and quite frankly I think mentioned the Mayan example is a joke - but they believe in the whole 400 year cycle (batun) so seriously that there are archeologists who thinks that Copan is abandoned on that basis, with the ritual centres (e.g. temples, etc) "executed". Talk about being grim.

re: pano - it's so high res - it's great fun checking out each of the construction site and wondering what it was.

AoD

allaboot:

Indeed - I am shocked by how many parking lots still remain - and how, inspite of these "wounds", the area remained relatively urban.

AoD

Indeed, though the number has probably been halved(?) over the past decade. Photos of the western downtown from 15 or 20 years ago are the really astonishing ones, with the lots going on for blocks and blocks a la Houston. Luckily we are getting to the point where most of the really egregious ones are either gone or in the process of disappearing, and the remainder are relatively inoffensive little gaps in the urban fabric, rather than vast expanses of nothingness. In the western core, Shangri-La, TIFF, and Ritz/RBC have gone a long way in this vein. But still, lots of little and not-so-little pockets left to develop, which I guess is good news in a way. Just along King between University and Bathurst there's probably a dozen.

These above the cloud shots are always a favourite - especially with the shadow of the tower cast on the cloud itself.

2006_11_23FogInToronto.jpg

Imagine working on one of the top floors of FCP on a day like that. On your way to work the weather is overcast, wet, dreary, dark and miserable on the ground, and that's all 99.999% of the people in the city will see that day. But then you step out of the elevator to be greeted by an incredibly bright sunny view with nothing in sight but the blue sky and the clouds below. That would put a smile on my face for the rest of the day! (Mind you, I live in California now, where it's bright and sunny like that every day already, so maybe it's not such a big deal. ;) )

Back