News   Aug 13, 2024
 166     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 375     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1K     2 

Awesome St.Lawrence neighbourhood pics

The Hockey Hall of Fame is at the northwest corner of Front and Yonge. And yes it is a former branch of the Bank of Montreal, dating back to when elaborate, neo-classical architecture was valued for bank branches.

Look how well Mozo and King's Court blend in with the neighbourhood and contribute to the streetwall. Less point towers, more of these, please.

There are places for point towers, but there is an almost unending range of locations for buildings along the lines of Mozo, King's Courts and other like them. People are often concerned about how families are no longer locating in or near the downtown. I would imagine that an eight to twelve story building with larger units could be more attractive in that respect.

What's st. L like to live in?

Another nabe i've considered moving to. But the one thing i wonder: when will retail in the area become viable; that is, normal neighbourhood amenities, both hip and average clothing boutiques, cafe culture, etc? (Not just furniture galleries, Bay St crowd-style bars, weekend tourist traps etc.) While i hate the gap--imagine seeing chain stores move into the area? Or funky little clothing stores--in other words, Queen St West on the east side! Is the area still dead at night? From what i remember (i briefly attended ryerson before switching to UT: a bad move btw!) the area was strangely dead at night without george browners milling about. I might buy a loft in the area someday. I like being close to yummy sources of food! The only negative i can think of: to the north it's ghetto territory.

Woohoo, someone captured my nabe. Terrific pics. The one that shows the Portneuf CT sign was actually taken from my street (my house would be on the left not visible, very different from the homes you see on the right in that pic).

Another nabe i've considered moving to. But the one thing i wonder: when will retail in the area become viable; that is, normal neighbourhood amenities, both hip and average clothing boutiques, cafe culture, etc? (Not just furniture galleries, Bay St crowd-style bars, weekend tourist traps etc.) While i hate the gap--imagine seeing chain stores move into the area? Or funky little clothing stores--in other words, Queen St West on the east side! Is the area still dead at night? From what i remember (i briefly attended ryerson before switching to UT: a bad move btw!) the area was strangely dead at night without george browners milling about. I might buy a loft in the area someday. I like being close to yummy sources of food! The only negative i can think of: to the north it's ghetto territory.

East of Sherbourne is strangely quiet at night (on Front & on King). There's a lot of great bars (particularly the 3 at the esplanade - bier market, fin's and scotland yard), a few clubs and many more bars on front and on king that keep the streets alive at night and far from being dead. Again, once you go east of Sherbourne it's as if you suddenly stepped in no mans land. The great thing is, you're at most a 10 minute walk to King Subway and that opens up the whole city to you. I frequently walk to and from the club district on weekends (last night was a trek, from Panorama to the Madison to Chinatown to republick to here). It's really a great location and the proximity to the Gardiner is a huuuuuge plus.

last night was a trek, from Panorama to the Madison to Chinatown to republick to here ... a 10 minute walk to King Subway and that opens up the whole city to you

Wow! You're really diving right in to the urban lifestyle! Great to hear!

Back