News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 578     0 

attorney recommendation - problems with condo management

virs

Member Bio
Reaction score
I have a condo in North York with 2 parking spaces. One is an oversized parking space. I have rented one of the spaces to another tenant (smaller space) and have been using the oversized parking space to park mine and my wife's cars (pirus and yaris). All were good for the past 2 years but couple of months back the condo management sent me a letter stating that I cannot park two cars in the oversized space. I went through the condo rules and there is nothing there to state that I have to use it for only one car. I like to consult a lawyer who deals with owner-condo management issues. Appreciate if anyone can suggest some food names.

I'd suggest you're on the losing end of the argument. An over-sized space is for a larger vehicle--like an SUV--not two small cars. Imagine if everyone did that?

Actually I've seen very few condo docs that specifically limit the number of vehicles in a single space and I personally know of many many people who park their car and motorcycle/scooter in the same space. I don't see why, if the space is yours and you own two Smart Cars and they fit, there should be any problem. If it's not specifically in the condo rules then you're free and clear unless the condo board decides to change the rules OR there has been a determination by the insurance company that this is a hazard and will affect your condo's insurance rate. If the latter is the case, then as Urbandreamer stated, you're probably on the losing end of the argument because I guarantee you there will be something in the condo docs that relates to any owner willfully doing something that affects the condo's common element insurance rates.

Hey there.....as a Realtor in Toronto we come across these issues all the time and yes i believe that your approach in wanting to seek legal advise before responding to the condo management would be prudent on your behave.

Here is the name of a Solicitor in Toronto

Norman Durbin

Back