619     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 203     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 262     0 

At the symphony

M

michaelpfox

Everyone even mildly interested should check out the TSOundcheck program. It's for people under 29, and with it you can buy symphony tickets for $10. The tickets come from every price category, including the best seats, depending on what's available. You get an email about once a week telling you what performances are coming up.

I was at the symphony tonight, and had a fantastic time. A young violinist, Leila Josefowicz, was featured and she was quite an animated presence on stage, and played great music.

The pieces played were:

Schumann: Overture, Scherzo & Finale
Prokofiev: Violin Concerto No. 1
Debussy: La Mer
Ravel: La Valse

You can find more info on this program at:

www.tsoundcheck.com/

BTW, the renovations at Roy Thomson Hall are gorgeous. I was really impressed by the airiness of the place, but which has warmed up quite a bit because of the new hard wood. It gives the symphony a very 'Toronto' signature, because the building is so modernist, for such a traditional activity such a a symphony.

Free music in this city is actually easy to come by, especially if you hunt around U of T. The RCM sometimes does and the ROM on Friday nights offers free jazz.

I went to that concert too. It was amazing eh? I've had a soundcheck card for quite a while now and I've seen some really good concerts.

Alch:

It's great to hang around at Philosopher's Walk and listen to the music from RCM.

Can't wait when they opened up the window in the 1912 building at ROM.

GB

Back