News   Jul 30, 2024
 357     2 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 536     0 

Are you avoiding Chinese-made food and consumer goods?

Go to T&T Supermarket and tell me if people have problem buying Chinese-made food!

The selections at T&T is just amazing. You can almost buy any freaking thing you can think of there. And the ready-to-eat are just getting too popular. I can see Loblaws doing the same in the future...

Go to T&T Supermarket and tell me if people have problem buying Chinese-made food!
Um, the poisonous Chinese made toothpaste was being sold by T&T here in Canada, right up until the recall. Right now, any supermarket that prides itself on selling food and consumer products from China should be avoided. Eventually China will get its house in order, but not today.

isn't all toothpaste poisonous?
Not at all. Sure, you shouldn't eat it as it has no nutritional value and in massive quantities may make your arse minty fresh. The Chinese version however contains essentially car anti-freeze, which if swallowed in even small quantities can cause blindness and kidney failure.

Not at all. Sure, you shouldn't eat it as it has no nutritional value and in massive quantities may make your arse minty fresh. The Chinese version however contains essentially car anti-freeze, which if swallowed in even small quantities can cause blindness and kidney failure.

and ours contains rat poison. and i know, our rat poison is good for you but i'm sure they'd find some beneficial effect from ingesting antifreeze if someone looked hard enough.

the only fault the chinese have is that they didn't label their poisons. they should put warning labels like we do here in canada.

smoking will kill you, trans fats will kill you, etc. if you tell someone that your product will kill them, it somehow makes it okay & legal.

when china starts exporting soylent yellow, hopefully they'll take all necessary legal precautions and print on the package what it's really made from. ;)

i somehow think that this labeling business is also a mute point. we are exposed to toxins and poisons against our will all the time. they also kill you slowly like antifreeze and since slow murder is legal, why are we making such a big deal about the chinese toothpaste? you have a choice to buy chinese toothpaste or whatever. when i take a breath of that chemical soup which we call our canadian air, i'm being exposed to crap against my will!

i don't see the government banning combustion! where's the recall on internal combustion engines? why isn't health canada doing its job?

say what you want about the chinese but we're just as fucking bad but in a more legal way.

I'm not at all sure about the point you are trying to make Prometheus. Are you suggesting in a roundabout way anything should be imported without restriction?

In actual fact, everything is toxic in large enough quantities - even water.

I'm not at all sure about the point you are trying to make Prometheus. Are you suggesting in a roundabout way anything should be imported without restriction?

NO.

all this hysteria is a trade issue disguised as a concern for our health.

do the alarm bells make the same volume when it's our crap that's toxic? i hope it does.

Actually, the cases that have come up concerning the specific products of concern imported from China are quite legitimate. It should be evident that the reports are not wholesale attacks on all imports from China. Don't confuse the actual investigations concerning health and safety with questionable reporting and commentary after the fact. The two are quite different.

As for toxic domestic products, to which are you referring?

From The Star

China drugmakers

associated press

BEIJING–China's food and drug watchdog announced it had shut down five drugmakers over the last year, including one that made a substance implicated in 11 deaths, state media reported Saturday.

The state Food and Drug Administration also stripped 128 drugmakers of their Good Manufacturing Practice certificates, a symbol of favourable performance, the China Daily newspaper reported on its website.

The report comes as China faces mounting international criticism over the quality and safety of its products from toys to toothpaste.

China's pharmaceutical industry is lucrative, but said to be poorly regulated. Some companies try to cash in by substituting fake or substandard ingredients.

Eleven people died this year after taking a drug made by the Qiqihar No. 2 Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd. in the northeastern province of Heilongjiang, one of the five companies shut down.

An investigation showed the drug contained a chemical that can cause kidney failure. The vendor had passed that chemical off as a normal ingredient.

The China Daily report said Guangdong Baiyi Pharmaceutical's licence was revoked for making a blood product from an infected donor, an incident that has not been widely reported.

The other three shuttered drugmakers were not named in the report.

It did, however, say that over the past six months, the administration has focused on boosting the number of inspectors and monitoring the production quality of narcotic drugmakers.

Worries about Chinese products began earlier this year, when the deaths of dogs and cats in North America were linked to pet food containing Chinese wheat gluten tainted with the chemical melamine. Since then, U.S. authorities have also banned or turned away Chinese products including toxic fish, and popular toy trains decorated with lead paint.

Several countries have also halted imports of Chinese-made toothpaste because it contained diethylene glycol, a low-cost and sometimes deadly substitute for glycerin.

China is currently overhauling its chaotic food and drug safety mechanisms.

There are signs it has responded through the courts as well. Zheng Xiaoyu, the former head of the food and drug watchdog, was sentenced to death in May for taking bribes to approve substandard medicines.

Actually, the cases that have come up concerning the specific products of concern imported from China are quite legitimate. It should be evident that the reports are not wholesale attacks on all imports from China. Don't confuse the actual investigations concerning health and safety with questionable reporting and commentary after the fact. The two are quite different.

As for toxic domestic products, to which are you referring?

the whole thing seems a little lou dobbsish to me. and of course there is cause for concern, i never said there wasn't.

the toxic domestic products i was referring to are the ones with warning labels which somehow makes them legal to sell, despite their massive costs to our social health care system. i'm talking about smokes, trans fats & other food additives. i also mention our air supply. nobody owns the air yet industry is allowed to contaminate it, killing thousands in a slow fashion. at least toxic toothpaste is confined to a tube. people have a choice when they buy cheap communist crap, what am i gonna do? stop breathing?

You appear to be mixing apples and oranges.

There were no warning labels on the imported products in question. And warning labels on products do exactly that: they warn. The risks have been disclosed to the purchaser. One should assume agency and comprehension on the part of the user when employing these products. If people have not been provided with any information, then how can anyone act with respect to avoiding or reducing risk?

Tobacco comes with warning labels. The issue of tran-fats is being dealt with presently. It's negative effects were not understood at the time in which it came into use (the science is still under way, by the way), and trans-fats were used to extend the shelf-life of food products - which is often considered a good.

As for other "additives," without being more specific it is hard to know how you wish to compare these to the issues concerning specific recent Chinese imports of concern.

Yes, there are plenty of domestically produced food or consumable items that can harm us, however the difference it that the ingredient listings on toothpaste, confectionary or hotdogs made here will almost certainly be accurate, while the same produced in China could be different, with the human-grade detergents or emulsyfiers in toothpaste, for example, being switched around for car anti-freeze. You'd never know that you'd got the bad stuff until you were sick or dead.

If you buy those big bags of rice in Chinatown, make sure you rinse the rice three or four times before you cook it.

Back