News   May 10, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.9K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Apple Store

That's true Towered. I got an $800 repair done for free on my MacBookPro for cosmetic problems with the screen. They were barely noticeable but Apple prides itself on not just the functionality of the computer but its design excellence. On another occasion, I had dropped my Mac and soon after it began to have problems. They replaced the motherboard for free because "it's a laptop, it's supposed to endure those kind of situations".

So spider, there's your reason for the Apple store being so popular. Apple's post sale service is rate as the best in the world for this product category.

So spider, there's your reason for the Apple store being so popular. Apple's post sale service is rate as the best in the world for this product category.

But shouldn't that "service" be the same regardless of which retail environment you choose to engage in with Apple products? If not, then I imagine it is in their best interest to only market their products from their own retail outlets.

I really get the impression Apple stores are popular with the "converted" Apple junkies.

Hey...I am an Apple owner...Mac Mini and iphone. I am happy with that choice, as I need a computer and a smart phone. And I would be lying if I said the design aesthetics of the products didn't influence my purchase.

But I just haven't drank the Kool-Aid.

But shouldn't that "service" be the same regardless of which retail environment you choose to engage in with Apple products? If not, then I imagine it is in their best interest to only market their products from their own retail outlets.

I'm not really sure I understand what you're saying but if you buy a Mac at FutureShop, you can still go to the Apple Store for service or to attend their seminars. Apple can only fully control the customer service experience in their own stores. For other retail locations where their products are sold, they can only do so much.

According to member Bauhaus, Apple will be nearly tripling its size at Yorkdale by moving into the new extension. Good news!

Everyone: Apple Computer is now in negotiations with the MTA in NYC to open its largest store to date in NYC's Grand Central Terminal...

This is the first time as far as I know that Apple has opened a store in a major transit station or terminal in North America...

This also made me wonder about the future status of Apple's "flagship" NYC store at 59th Street and 5th Avenue in Manhattan which is a short distance away...

For more information look here: www.cultofmac.com/a-closer-look-at-...e-in-grand-central-station/105990#more-105990

I now think that Toronto Union Station would be a neat Apple Store location if the appropriate space ever became available...Long Island Mike

I had a Genius Bar appointment today @ Eaton Centre and the place was an absolute zoo! The Genius apologized that my appointment was off by 20 minutes because of how busy it is and then said that "the new store can't come soon enough". I asked him about it and he just laughed off into a question about the reason for my appointment. I came back to the conversation and said that they could use a bigger store in the Eaton Centre and he said: "That McDonalds is closing".

I don't know if it was wishful thinking that got me to believe that he knew what he was talking about because Apple employees don't tend to know much more than regular people but it is possible that he was told about a transfer to a new store to come. Nonetheless, Apple desperately needs a new store at Eaton Centre or another downtown in addition to this one. It's a flagship store made to fit in the size of a small satellite location.

The best is when you are at the Apple at TEC or Yorkdale and it has the humid feeling of a nightclub. I am sure they are breaking MANY occupancy load violations. I always marvel how they are consistently busy even when the rest of the mall is dead.

I would think that the old SportChek location in the Eaton Center would be better suited than the McDonalds spot

The multi-level McDonalds location would give them some nice visibility from the street. But the two old and abandoned bank buildings at 205 Yonge Street are undoubtedly the best spot for a huge Apple store.

The multi-level McDonalds location would give them some nice visibility from the street. But the two old and abandoned bank buildings at 205 Yonge Street are undoubtedly the best spot for a huge Apple store.

That is such a great idea! A nice big glass cube in the middle and historical bank building architecture on each side. Steps away from Queen St and Yonge & Dundas. Perfect!

I'm debating whether the Genius was just guessing or if he really knows something, but yes, if Apple could get the McDonalds and the Town Shoes to give them street level presence on Queen, that would provide the much needed expansion space. Like Kingsway says, these stores (both Yorkdale and Eaton Centre) are no doubt breaking occupancy violations.

Ryerson was saying they were negotiating with Apple for the retail level of the Student Learning Centre, so perhaps if they had that store making the Eaton Centre store a satellite location, they'd be fine.

But as it stands now, it's not a matter of "if" they will expand or move, it's a matter of when. They can't stay in that store. It's just way too crowded.

Last edited:
I did some further digging and found that Apple Eaton Centre will be hiring a lot of new employees this fall/winter. That wouldn't be unusual given that it's Christmas, but a lot of these new hires are permanent, not seasonal. Something's up.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Grand and Toy located two doors away from that McDonalds in the Eaton Centre has closed. The adjacent Cultures is still open however.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Grand and Toy located two doors away from that McDonalds in the Eaton Centre has closed. The adjacent Cultures is still open however.

This is shaping up for a very large space to become available where the Apple Genius hinted an Apple store could go. I'd still like to see them gain street level presence, unless they're still planning on opening a street level store on Yonge St. @ Ryerson or @ 1 Bloor East. Toronto is their biggest Canadian market. We need a proper flagship store with the signature glass staircase and performance space for Apple events.

Last edited:
I was going to mention the old Metro Hall, but it is not in a shopping area. Better for it to move into new digs where Sam The Record used to be, once its built, north of Dundas & Yonge, with maybe a connection with the north part of the Dundas Subway station. Has anyone seen plans to see if such a site is a good fit or not?

Back