News   Jul 17, 2024
 577     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.7K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 648     0 

Apple Store

It's just an excuse to stick that ugly media tower that is already past its' due date. The atrium as it was (recall some of the old photos posted) is far more interesting and generous space.

AoD

The more I thought about it the more I feel the Eaton Centre H&M addition is a wasted opportunity - imagine what it could have been like as a full blown standalone Apple Store? Can we tear down that mess and start again *please*?

AoD
Eventually H&M will lose popularity and disappear. Maybe then something will happen.

Agreed. Unless H&M really screws up for a prolonged period of time, they're going to be around for a long time. Out of all the tenants in the Eaton Centre, I'd say H&M would be one of the least likely to close up shop.

So there's a lot of talk about the Eaton Centre location being too busy, yet I just booked a Genius appointment for 4:40 today. Absolutely no issues. Seems like they fixed the issue, as there are times available tomorrow too.

When I went last week, they seemed to have a better system than they used to as well as a lot more geniuses. Genii?

So there's a lot of talk about the Eaton Centre location being too busy, yet I just booked a Genius appointment for 4:40 today. Absolutely no issues. Seems like they fixed the issue, as there are times available tomorrow too.
They may not be busy, but wasn't the place packed with people when you were there?

True. But to add to that, technology and the companies behind it are even more ephemeral.

Not necessarily - a good chunk of the tech firms has been around for a long, long time and they aren't going anywhere soon. Apple, MS, Oracle has been around for more than 30 years - IBM much, much longer than that. Google will probably be sticking around, not so sure about FB.

AoD

Last edited:
Same for fashion retailers. H&M, for example, has been around a lot longer than Apple, Microsoft, Google, Dell, Lenovo, etc.

A lot of the tech industry is ephemeral. But so is a lot of the fashion and retail industries.

In any event, predicting who will disappear and who will survive in the long term, regardless of the industry, is a bit of a fool's game.

Not necessarily - a good chunk of the tech firms has been around for a long, long time and they aren't going anywhere soon. Apple, MS, Oracle has been around for more than 30 years - IBM much, much longer than that. Google will probably be sticking around, not so sure about FB.

All true, but in both fashion and technology, things can change very, very fast. The business is full of stories of companies who went from leading the market to being little more than a historical footnote in the space of a few years. Atari, Nokia, Sony, and many others once seemed unstoppable, but were either bankrupt or shadows of their former selves in the space of a few short years. And let's not forget that 20 years ago, it seemed quite likely that Apple was done for.

Nearly everything Apple sells they will not be selling in five years time, so they either have to update their existing products and convince people to pay for them (not always a viable strategy, as MS is discovering), or come up with new products entirely. Obviously they have been absolutely brilliant at this since the '90s, but that doesn't mean they will continue to be so indefinitely.

As for H&M, from what I gather, they don't really have much of an identifiable style of their own. They're in the business of providing low-cost fashion-of-the-moment items, and usually just copy current trends rather than trying to define them, and their efficiency in logistics allows them to do this faster than most in their business. So I would think their big challenge is not so much about being "trendy", but potential competition from other low-cost clothing retailers. The way I see it, it's the higher-priced trendy clothing shops/brands which really have to worry about trends, because if they wrongly gauge where trends are going and/or become associated with a past era, they are finished. H&M can still count on some business from people who just want cheap clothing, whether it's in style or not.

In any event, predicting who will disappear and who will survive in the long term, regardless of the industry, is a bit of a fool's game.

This exactly. There's really no telling where things will be in ten years.

Anything that trendy eventually disappears. It might not be for a while, but it will.

H&M is not some trendy no name company that just popped up. They've been around a long long time and know what they're doing. And how is apple not "trendy"?

I'm not sure where you're going with this as H&M has been around since the 40s, much longer then most of those tech companies.

What's going on with the Buffalo store on Yonge? Aren't they closing? That would be a better location then the Eaton Centre.

Back