News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Any sign of " Intelligent Design " hitting up here

S

spasongs

Any sign of " Intelligent Design " hitting up here

With all the ID news going on right now, made me wonder if anyone is hearing about it up here?

I certainly hope not. Science classes are for science.

Re: Any sign of " Intelligent Design " hitting up

Oh they are even redefining what science is - from Yahoo News:

Kan. School Board OKs Evolution Approach
By JOHN HANNA, Associated Press Writer
19 minutes ago

TOPEKA, Kan. - Revisiting a topic that exposed Kansas to nationwide ridicule six years ago, the state Board of Education approved science standards for public schools Tuesday that cast doubt on the theory of evolution.

The 6-4 vote was a victory for intelligent design advocates who helped draft the standards. Intelligent design holds that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power.

Critics of the new language charged that it was an attempt to inject God and creationism into public schools in violation of the separation of church and state.

"This is a sad day. We're becoming a laughingstock of not only the nation, but of the world, and I hate that," said board member Janet Waugh, a Democrat.

Supporters of the new standards said they will promote academic freedom. "It gets rid of a lot of dogma that's being taught in the classroom today," said board member John Bacon.

The new standards say high school students must understand major evolutionary concepts. But they also declare that the basic Darwinian theory that all life had a common origin and that natural chemical processes created the building blocks of life have been challenged in recent years by fossil evidence and molecular biology.

In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.

The new standards will be used to develop student tests measuring how well schools teach science. Decisions about what is taught in classrooms will remain with 300 local school boards, but some educators fear pressure will increase in some communities to teach less about evolution or more about creationism or intelligent design.

"What this does is open the door for teachers to bring creationist arguments into the classroom and point to the standards and say it's OK," said Jack Krebs, an Oskaloosa High School math teacher and vice president of Kansas Citizens for Science, which opposes the changes.

But John Calvert, a retired attorney who helped found the Intelligent Design Network, said changes probably will come to classrooms gradually, with some teachers feeling freer to discuss criticisms of evolution.

"These changes are not targeted at changing the hearts and minds of the Darwin fundamentalists," Calvert said.

The vote marked the third time in six years that the Kansas board has rewritten standards with evolution as the central issue.

In 1999, the board eliminated most references to evolution. Harvard paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould said that was akin to teaching "American history without Lincoln." Bill Nye, the "Science Guy" of children's television, called it "harebrained" and "nutty." And a Washington Post columnist imagined God saying to the Kansas board members: "Man, I gave you a brain. Use it, OK?"

Two years later, after voters replaced three members, the board reverted to evolution-friendly standards. Elections in 2002 and 2004 changed the board's composition again, making it more conservative.

The latest vote is likely to bring fresh national criticism to Kansas and cause many scientists to see the state as backward.

Many scientists and other critics contend creationists repackaged old ideas in new, scientific-sounding language to get around a U.S. Supreme Court decision in 1987 against teaching the biblical story of creation in public schools.

The Kansas board's action is part of a national debate. In Pennsylvania, a judge is expected to rule soon in a lawsuit against the Dover school board's policy of requiring high school students to learn about intelligent design in biology class. In August, President Bush endorsed teaching intelligent design alongside evolution.

GB

With all the ID news going on right now, made me wonder if anyone is hearing about it up here?

I certainly hope not. Science classes are for science.

This is Canada, not Jeebus-land. I wouldn't expect to see it here.

the universe was created with a big bang and it makes perfect sense too seeing that humans are created in a similar fashion.

there are alot of parallels in life. :p

Just as you thought it can't get more ridiculous...from Yahoo News:

Pat Robertson Warns Pa. Town of Disaster
16 minutes ago

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson warned residents of a rural Pennsylvania town Thursday that disaster may strike there because they "voted God out of your city" by ousting school board members who favored teaching intelligent design.

All eight Dover, Pa., school board members up for re-election were defeated Tuesday after trying to introduce "intelligent design" — the belief that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power — as an alternative to the theory of evolution.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city," Robertson said on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club."

Eight families had sued the district, claiming the policy violates the constitutional separation of church and state. The federal trial concluded days before Tuesday's election, but no ruling has been issued.

Later Thursday, Robertson issued a statement saying he was simply trying to point out that "our spiritual actions have consequences."

"God is tolerant and loving, but we can't keep sticking our finger in his eye forever," Robertson said. "If they have future problems in Dover, I recommend they call on Charles Darwin. Maybe he can help them."

Robertson made headlines this summer when he called on his daily show for the assassination of Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

In October 2003, he suggested that the State Department be blown up with a nuclear device. He has also said that feminism encourages women to "kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians."

GB

Sadly this is just another in a long list of Pat Robertson stories and far from the worst. Im all for freedom of speech and the right to practice and preach ones religion, but with what he says sometimes he should be charged with hate crimes.

I'm kind of wondering about the theoretical scenario if someone tries to take Pat Robertson out, Meir Kahane-style. Maybe that'd be the moment when America collapses into Civil War II...

Stargate SG-1 has some great theories about mythology and the creation of humanity too. Maybe they will need to teach Evolution, Creationism, Mythology (new term required for Mythology because it could be true of course), and Stargate SG-1 theories.

And Aliens. We must not deprived kids of the learning about the possibility of us having been transplanted onto Earth by another species. And I hope they get to learn about Centaur and hypothesis about how this creature went extinct, although whether it worse, or after, or because of the Unicorns is still really up for debate so maybe that shouldnt be included in the curiculum.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city," Robertson said on the Christian Broadcasting Network's "700 Club."

So what's the difference between this sick and twisted f*ck and the Taliban?

So what's the difference between this sick and twisted f*ck and the Taliban?

He wears nice suits.

And on the topic of hate, Bill O'Reily has spoke again. A little of what was said this time.

O’Reilly reacted to San Franciscans approval of Proposition I, which discourages military recruiters on public high school and college campuses.

He advised President George W. Bush to react by withdrawing any military protection for the city. “...If al-Qaida comes in here and blows you up, we’re not going to do anything about it. We’re going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you, except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead,†O’Reilly said

And for those who listen, just click here.

Antiloop:

Ha. I am sure the Right can then spin it as "God's punishment for homosexuals". What better example of that than attacking the phallic symbol that is the Coit Tower?

GB

Back