News   Jul 22, 2024
 114     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 955     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4.1K     7 

Anthony Bourdain on Toronto

I think he went a little overboard with his criticisms of Toronto as "not a good looking city". Why he picked on Toronto in this aspect and said nothing similar about other cities that are no more attractive than Toronto seems like he was just repeating what other people (from Montreal or Vancouver) told him instead of forming his own opinion.

He was clearly won over and impressed by the city by the end of the episode. I watched a bunch of these episodes (just watched the Atlanta episode for example) and I have to say that Toronto comes off as so much more cool, worldly and interesting than most of the other cites he's visited.

Last edited:
I remember this video from awhile ago. Bourdain's taste in food is excellent; his taste in architecture is undeveloped. He looks at the skyline and dismisses both the Royal York and the modern towers around it.

I remember this video from awhile ago. Bourdain's taste in food is excellent; his taste in architecture is undeveloped. He looks at the skyline and dismisses both the Royal York and the modern towers around it.

I didn't bother to watch it again -- I saw it when it was originally posted. Wasn't his, "not a good looking city" comment based on his drive into the city, on the Gardiner, and looking at CityPlace and Southcore? In that sense, he's absolutely right. Outside of the CBD, our highrise architecture is almost entirely banal. Most of our character and beauty comes in the form of lowrise buildings.

He appeared to refer to the Royal York as "something Mussolini would live in". They also included the Royal Bank Plaza in a shot while he was describing how unattractive the city was.

His criticism of Toronto's architecture just demonstrated he has a very poor understanding of architecture in general. He was probably shocked - as we all are - by our horrible public realm, and wrongly attributed the unsightliness to the buildings. I know many, many people, especially in the 905, who do the same thing.

He appeared to refer to the Royal York as "something Mussolini would live in". They also included the Royal Bank Plaza in a shot while he was describing how unattractive the city was.

That doesn't necessarily mean he thinks Royal Bank Plaza is ugly. That could just be bad editing.

That doesn't necessarily mean he thinks Royal Bank Plaza is ugly. That could just be bad editing.

I also got the sense that this is indeed the case. There doesn't seem to be a good match between the buildings shown in the shots and Bourdain's narrative. The whole premise was that despite the shoddy outward appearance, Toronto is a place full of worthwhile neighborhoods, fun spots and hidden gems directly outside the CBD

Anthony Bourdain is a reality tv host who wears cowboy boots and thinks New Jersey is cool.

Well sounds like he thinks Toronto is pretty cool too so it's all good.

ab021709field.jpg

Attachments

• ab021709field.jpg
    ab021709field.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,108
Does "ugly" get you the #1 spot on SSC's top 100 banners list?

http://xl.skyscrapercity.com/?page=banner&do=top100

From that perspective, the city is pretty attractive -- minus the wall of condos along the lakefront. CityPlace isn't noticeable from that angle, and the towers north of the CBD are too out of focus to critique.

Anthony Bourdain is a reality tv host who wears cowboy boots and thinks New Jersey is cool.

So what? That doesn't mean his opinions aren't worthwhile. Torontonians can be so insecure when an outsider has anything negative to say about their city. Don't take it so personally. Why feel offended if what he says isn't true?

Last edited:
So what? That doesn't mean his opinions aren't worthwhile. Torontonians can be so insecure when an outsider has anything negative to say about their city. Don't take it so personally. Why feel offended if what he says isn't true?

freshcutgrass stated a fact. Since you took that to assume that he was being critical of Anthony, you must agree with him. For the record, I agree with freshcutgrass; Bourdain wears cowboy boots and thinks NJ is cool. Enough said...

Back