1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 960     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 362     0 

androiduk's My Toronto

Spring is in the air!

greybird.jpg

The colours are absolutely stunning. I love all your pics but I adore this one.

"If you like old elevators, surf around this site." QUOTE mattelderca

Two of the most "Fab" elevator machines that I have ever seen in this city were or are located on Serling Road

in the old Algoods plant. I believe they were Otis, with the unlikely (in the trade) name of "Tail Twisters";

one being a small passenger, the other, a large freight.

Another unit, known as "The Frankenstein Machine", due to it's mercury rectifier, is located at 360 Adelaide W.

60 Bathust Street, before being torn down (thank goodness) for condos, had a dumb waiter, a traction, and a water hydraulic.

Of 53 Fraser Avenue's then four instalations, one was of the water hydraulic type.

All of the above, save Algoods, had/have wooden main & counterweight rails.

Regards,
J T

"The Canada Malting factories had these cool conveyor belt type of lifts." QUOTE Ed007Toronto

As did the Royal York Garage between Piper Street on the south & Wellington Street.

The mention of Canada Malting brings to mind that for many years an unintentional ground ghosted

the building. Their electrical contractor couldn't find it, nor Toronto Hydro, nor Ontario Hydro. For all

I know, it remained until the building was decommissioned.

Regards,
J T

"St. Lawrence Starch Co. at Lakeshore & 10" QUOTE androiduk

At the least, the elevator shafts were covered with wire mesh!

As an aside, wasn't there something "strange" going on in one of the by-the-L'Shore fronting buildings.

(It could have been the creek; I don't quite remember.)

Regards,
J T

"The Canada Malting factories had these cool conveyor belt type of lifts." QUOTE Ed007Toronto

As did the Royal York Garage between Piper Street on the south & Wellington Street.

The mention of Canada Malting brings to mind that for many years an unintentional ground ghosted

the building. Their electrical contractor couldn't find it, nor Toronto Hydro, nor Ontario Hydro. For all

I know, it remained until the building was decommissioned.

Regards,
J T

Really? I need to ask my dad. He was their electrician from 1969 until they closed in the mid 1980's.

"He was their electrician from 1969 until they closed in the mid 1980's." QUOTE Ed007Toronto

The silos to which I refer are/were at the foot of Bathurst Street.

Regards,
J T

Back