370     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 477     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

androiduk's My Toronto

Reflections on Wellington

reflectsitr.jpg

Android: Enjoy your trip to New York for the Columbus Day period!

Off to New York for a week. Happy Thanksgiving everybody.

Android: Just remember that Monday October 11th is Columbus Day - which is not considered a major holiday in the US.

NYC has a parade in midtown Manhattan on that day...Weatherwise things look quite nice into next week...I enjoy this Fall weather after the long hot Summer of 2010...

Speaking of Canada and the US Thanksgiving holiday-I always found the differences in dates this is celebrated interesting...
Is Thanksgiving as important a holiday in Canada as it is in the US?

I remember that Toronto has a parade on the same Thursday in November as the US Thanksgiving holiday...What does Canada and Toronto in particular consider this day? Is it also another named holiday in Canada?

LI MIKE

Bloor & Church. That Jag is in a real pickle.

picklejag.jpg

Android: This is a clever ad from McDonald's-that Jaguar is clearly part of that scene...it makes me think of this song lyric: "I don't want a pickle - I just want to ride on my motorsickle" With apologies to Arlo Guthrie...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Android: Just remember that Monday October 11th is Columbus Day - which is not considered a major holiday in the US....Speaking of Canada and the US Thanksgiving holiday-I always found the differences in dates this is celebrated interesting...

That's because if we tried to harvest anything in Canada in late November it would be frozen.

Is Thanksgiving as important a holiday in Canada as it is in the US?
We only get a 3-day weekend instead of a 4-day weekend - and it isn't a stat holiday in the Atlantic provinces. It still includes turkey & pumpkin pie. Americans make a big deal out of Thanksgiving because they think they invented it. :eek:

I remember that Toronto has a parade on the same Thursday in November as the US Thanksgiving holiday...What does Canada and Toronto in particular consider this day? Is it also another named holiday in Canada?

LI MIKE
That is the Santa Claus parade, which is held on a Sunday earlier in November (not 'til the 21st this year). In the past, a US network has recorded it and aired it the same day as the Macy's Thanksgiving parade - so no, we don't get another holiday.

Back