154     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 394     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 540     0 

androiduk's My Toronto

When aliens attack

aliens.jpg

Spadina looking south from Bloor. The old building in the background is the former Spadina Military Hospital . Famed aviator Amelia Earhart worked here as a nurse and her initial interest in aviation started here while visiting the air show at the CNE.

spadinabloor.jpg

Last edited:
Spadina looking south from Bloor. The old building in the background is the former Spadina Military Hospital . Famed aviator Amelia Earhart worked here as a nurse and her initial interest in aviation started here while visiting the air show at the CNE.

spadinabloor.jpg

Great photo of Spadina! I love all telephotos.

However, I must interject a correction regarding Amelia Earhart.
The following two quotes refer to her aviation experiences in Toronto but make no mention of the CNE.
I don't believe the CNE held regular "air shows" until mid-twentieth-century.

"Amelia Earhart first became interested in flying while living in Toronto.* She talked with many pilots who were treated at the soldiers’ hospital.* She also spent time watching planes at a nearby military airfield.* Flying seemed exciting." --- found at: (http://www1.voanews.com/learningenglish/home/a-23-2007-07-03-voa1-83134327.html)

"In 1917 20-year-old Amelia took a brief vacation from school to visit her sister Muriel who was going to school in Toronto.* She was saddened by the condition of service men wounded in WWI and became a war nurse and stayed a year.* Amelia and her sister spent a lot of time on their interest in airplanes and Toronto is credited with getting Amelia started on a career in flight.* Toronto was the centre for the Royal Flying Corps and there were hundreds of pilots and planes at 2 airfields in Toronto." --- found at: (http://www.pastforward.ca/perspectives/columns/09_10_23.htm)

androiduk, Please excuse my pedantry and give us plenty more telephotos. Regards, Goldie

^ No problem Goldie. Keeps us on our toes. The source I used is from Wikipedia;

Early flying experiences

At about that time, with a young woman friend, Earhart visited an air fair held in conjunction with the Canadian National Exposition in Toronto. One of the highlights of the day was a flying exhibition put on by a World War I "ace."[29] The pilot overhead spotted Earhart and her friend, who were watching from an isolated clearing and dived at them. "I am sure he said to himself, 'Watch me make them scamper,'" she said. Earhart characteristically stood her ground, swept by a mixture of fear and exhilaration. As the aircraft came close, something inside her awakened. "I did not understand it at the time," she said, "but I believe that little red airplane said something to me as it swished by."[30]

Back