News   Jul 22, 2024
 397     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 577     0 

an early look @ Lord of the rings...by me :)

I think you can judge our reputation as a theatre town on several different levels:

* Small local theatres puting on the work of local writers. Often personal, innovative, and cutting edge ... and sometimes pretentious, self absorbed drivel.

* Splashy roadshows like Mirvish brings into town, and megaproductions like Lord of The Rings. Commercial theatre to bring the crowds in. All singing, all dancing, great night out musicals ... or bloated commercial product designed to make money off tourists and locals by following a formula.

* Soulpepper type remounting of the classics. Out of town there is Stratford and Shaw, in a similar vein. And the COC, and the National Ballet, companies that represent Canada on the world stage with creative integrity ( one hopes ).

Like our architecture, our stage shows offer something for everyone because we're a big enough city to handle several distinct, and sometimes overlapping, audiences.

just another update.

My father who is a big sci-fi fan, read all the books etc. saw the show on Wed.

In summary and for the same reasons I had, he left after the second act.

The malfunction during the battle of Healms Deep happened to him as well.....

When we had a curtain malfunction near the beginning of 'Gotterdammerung' last week nobody panicked and nobody left.

The fat lady and the fat man came out in front of the curtains and sang for several minutes. The orchestra didn't miss a beat.

The curtains shimmied ... slid a few metres to the left ... slid a few metres to the right ... slid a few metres to the left ... and finally opened.

Wagner audiences are made of sterner stuff than the Tolkein crowd I think.

Helms deep. Brunnhilde could eat Helms Deep for breakfast.

unfortunetly what happened is the scene was scraped from that show.....

Wouldn't that be like dropping the Ride of the Valkyries?

Did you not like the show because it was a bad show, or because it was bad quality?

It was of average quality... some sets were good, some just average. I just found the whole script not too enjoyable. There really wasn't anything that awed me or a character I could get tuned in to. I am interested in renting the movie version to see how it compares so I can get a feel for whether it was the performance of the show or if indeed the script was what turned me off.

Some things work better as film, some better as stage shows. Once you've enjoyed the special effects wizardry of the film, a stage version might be bound to disappoint. Translations from one medium to another can be a problem - films of operas are another example, and I don't think I've ever seen one that worked.

Well, theatre fans and LOTR fans have something in common. Guys who've never had sex with girls, that sort of thing

It goes far deeper than that, adma - some of us haven't even done it with ourselves.

Subscribers to "ESTAGE" - the Mirvii's online newsletter - can get tickets for $20 each, during the final week of this theatrical masterpiece. It ends September 3rd.

LOL, Babel I paid $35.00 for mine, 8th row from the stage! I went in with such low expectations that I actually ended up enjoying myself, funny that.

I saw it last weekend with my visiting cousins, and would have to echo the sentiments expressed in this thread. If you've seen the movie or read the book you can figure out what's going on, but on its own it's very incoherent. There were some musical numbers at odd times, and some were completely useless. Did we really need a 10 minute song and dance number in the bar before they met Aragorn, especially considering all that needed to be cut out?

The effects were impressive. It was worth it for a discounted price, just to experience the effects, but overall they failed in translating it into a stage show...as a story on its own and even one that tries to follow the book/movie.

flop

I can't wait to see it flop in London.

Then who are the producers going to blame?

Back