News   Jul 15, 2024
 749     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 907     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 634     0 

Amazon Second HQ

Interesting article in the globe this morning talking about stem graduate brain drain and relative salaries of workers in different cities:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...rain-as-young-tech-talent-leaves-for-silicon/

Has interesting implications for this topic and tech branch planting. If you can get the same worker in Toronto for half price ( potentially 60% of software engineer graduates from top universities like Waterloo move to the US to work so it’s literally the same worker) plus foreign workers having difficulty moving to the US, why would you not set up a substantial Canadian branch plant?

P.S. I wonder how many of those young Canadian graduates actually stay in the US. once they start to have children and pass their prime as young worker bees?

Interesting article in the globe this morning talking about stem graduate brain drain and relative salaries of workers in different cities:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/bus...rain-as-young-tech-talent-leaves-for-silicon/

Has interesting implications for this topic and tech branch planting. If you can get the same worker in Toronto for half price ( potentially 60% of software engineer graduates from top universities like Waterloo move to the US to work so it’s literally the same worker) plus foreign workers having difficulty moving to the US, why would you not set up a substantial Canadian branch plant?

P.S. I wonder how many of those young Canadian graduates actually stay in the US. once they start to have children and pass their prime as young worker bees?

There have been several stories in the U.S. media about a tech brain drain from Silicon Valley to Canada.

The juxtaposition is either amusing or jarring, take your choice.

The stories from the U.S. rarely involve Americans, but rather Canada poaching global talent as well as repatriating Canadian talent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/nyregion/trump-legal-immigration-canada-tech-jobs.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/blues...-born-tech-workers-canada-20171214-story.html

The pay differential is substantial though between US Cities and Toronto even accounting for living cost differentials. More so it seems for young works there is a status hierarchy with San Francisco, Seattle, and New York being seen as higher status than Canada (this could be changing I don't know?). The cost differential could also be one of the reasons that lately Canadian centres have been outpacing their US peers in job formation.

Amazon would need to near match their compensation for an HQ which would reduce the advantage of choosing Toronto; however, at matching compensation level they would have the pick-of-the-crop here of employees or force a general inflation of local tech salaries.

Why I asked if tech workers stay in the US later is that your calculus changes a bit if you settle down and have kids. Status and thrill are one thing but when you live somewhere where you can't send your child to public school and private insurance is cool until your kid gets in a mountain biking accident and your insurance runs out after 9 months even though they need years of therapy and you might have to sell your house to pay for it... suddenly you appreciate the boring-ness of Canada more.

I do think there is truth to the suggestion that Bezos would put it here if it meant making Trump mad.

I always get a laugh that the news focuses on Bezos and that he will make a gut call (others say he has a house is Washington so voila). Amazon has a very methodical process to make a decision including a well crafted long-form memo. No powerpoints or "placemats". At a minimum a 6 page memo that summarizes the pros and cons.

Even the RFP it was a well crafted and gave a very good indication as to how the final memo will be outlined. Yes, Toronto does have political risk (Trump backlash) but also political benefit (immigration).

It is good that PSP purchased Downsview. They are too small to develop it by themselves (the land itself is 5% of their real estate holdings). Which means they will be open to outside partners (Amazon?)

Amazon isn't looking at a campus like Downsview. If the come to Toronto, which they probably won't, they will more than likely take East Harbour.

Amazon isn't looking at a campus like Downsview. If the come to Toronto, which they probably won't, they will more than likely take East Harbour.

Exactly. Downsview is far from downtown and surrounded by uninteresting suburbia. It has no buzz, no panache.

Yes!

The new stadium should also be capable of hosting Super Bowls as well.
If the NFL had any interest in Toronto they'd be here already. The NFL wants to be in cities that are passionate about football. That's not Toronto. We barely support the Argos, the university teams are all but invisible, and high school football might as well not exist. Toronto is the opposite of what the NFL wants.

If the NFL had any interest in Toronto they'd be here already. The NFL wants to be in cities that are passionate about football. That's not Toronto. We barely support the Argos, the university teams are all but invisible, and high school football might as well not exist. Toronto is the opposite of what the NFL wants.

Thankfully.

AoD

I think the problem is that NFL teams are owned by majority. Which means you need to find someone super rich and it can't be owned by companies. Every NFL team other than 5 is worth at minimum 2 Billion US dollars. Plus you need a stadium built which costs about 1 billion USD. So at the very least someone needs 1 billion plus have some sort of way to pay for a stadium. Canada isn't exactly huge so the list of people who would qualify for something like this is very small. I think its more the finances versus the interest. Anyways even if you put a stadium here I dont see how it would ever work without proper on and off ramps at Dufferin and Bathurst. You cant funnel 100000 people into a area flooded with condos to a NFL game with just the Allen expressway as the main exit.

Back