News   Sep 12, 2024
 593     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 438     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Alternatives to Transit City, the Spadina Extension, Yonge Extension, Etc.

It can be near subway levels if the trains are long enough and fun frequent enough, but by then you might as well just built a subway.
This is the correct answer. The thing is that Eglinton has the potential for subway in so many ways, I don't understand why Metrolinx is pushing for ICTS. (something that's actual name is intermediate capacity transit system)

This is the correct answer. The thing is that Eglinton has the potential for subway in so many ways, I don't understand why Metrolinx is pushing for ICTS. (something that's actual name is intermediate capacity transit system)

ART is cheaper than a conventional subway, and can be outsourced to Bombardier (construction and operation). For all intensive purposes, ART is a subway; it just uses a different technology, that's all.

ART is cheaper than a conventional subway, and can be outsourced to Bombardier (construction and operation).

You talk as if design and construction isn't already outsourced. I'm sure any profit will make up for any "savings" to be had in outsourced operation.

It hasn't worked out that way in Vancouver. There, they built an 18.5km rapid transit line that cost governments $2 billion.

While contractors are brought in to do various specific tasks, all of the project management is done in house by the TTC.

ART is cheaper than a conventional subway, and can be outsourced to Bombardier (construction and operation). For all intents and purposes, ART is a subway; it just uses a different technology, that's all.

Fixed.

Is it's capacity equal to that of "traditional" subway though?

need better network in north toronto

The year is 2021. A Malvernite youth rises out of poverty due to the transforming power of LRT and gets a scholarship to York University. He figures it should be an easy place to get to with his Metropass, now that there is a subway/LRT a short bus ride from his home in Malvern and a subway to York U. Then he takes a look at the Transit City map. . . . . .

Transfer_City_North.jpg

Last edited:
The year is 2021. A Malvernite youth rises out of poverty due to the transforming power of LRT and gets a scholarship to York University. He figures it should be an easy place to get to with his Metropass, now that there is a subway/LRT a short bus ride from his home in Malvern and a subway to York U. Then he takes a look at the Transit City map. . . . . .

Transfer_City_North.jpg

Great stuff, WW!

Transfer_City_North.jpg

Amazing.

Transfer_City_North.jpg

Yeah... And people complain that the suburbs are getting so much more transit investments. And then we see that. lol

Personally, I don't use the Finch East bus, but I have been told by some members of this forum that it's a good performing route, and is nothing to be ashamed of.

If Malvern boy finds it's the best way to get across town, I'm not going to stop him.

3611821243_7fef4f63b6_o.jpg

One thing that bugs me about this map is that the LRT lines are thicker than the subway lines, even though they're lower capacity. It's trying to equate them with subway, whereas they are not.

I also 'fixed' the map. I.e., I made Sheppard an actual cross-town subway line, rather than a transfer line.

Back