1.1K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 694     0 

Alternative methods of transportation for Toronto

A Lakeshore / Gardiner alternative.....

[video=youtube;kwC8MP6uOiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwC8MP6uOiQ[/video]

Seems kind of crazy if only because the TTC doesn't need another type of technology to maintain. But it would be kind of cool to see a waterfront cable car up in the air that goes to Toronto Island.

It is true that there isn't that much of a difference between a separated LRT and ICTS in respect that they both run on the ground or elevated through designated corridors to bother hosting 2 different technologies for that purpose.

This cable cars concept takes advantage of covering areas where the ground may not have to be affected at all and open up the door for more rapid unobstrocted routes, which may make it worthwhile, but of course the guy in the video makes his case for it.

Up, Up and Away in a Cable Car

April 7, 2010

Megan McConville

logotype-tcf-global.png

Read More: http://thecityfix.com/up-up-and-away-in-a-cable-car/

###################################

Cable cars, also known as ropeways or aerial tramways, don’t get much respect. These types of transportation systems, in which a cabin or other conveyance is suspended from a fixed cable and pulled by another cable, are often thought of as tourist-movers. But cable cars can have some practical applications in urban settings. They are especially useful where inclines are too steep for conventional mass transit and where they can serve as feeders to bus and metro systems. They have been successfully applied in growing cities of the developing world, where slums are often clustered on precipitous hills surrounding urban centers.

Doppelmayr/Garaventa Group, a ropeway engineering company, published a brochure, “Aerial Ropeways as an Innovation Solution for Urban Transport,” that outlines many of the benefits of cable car systems, including the following:

* They are a low-emissions form of transportation, as their motion generates less resistance than land-bound transport, so less electrical power is required to drive the ropes. Additionally, less energy is required for start-up because they move continuously.

* Their aerial position means they can be readily integrated into the cityscape and combined with other elements of the public transit network without encountering obstacles on the ground.

* They don’t compete with traffic.

* They provide no-wait service, moving continuously without interruption. Service frequency can be adjusted to suit demand by varying the speed of the circulating rope, eliminating empty runs in off-peak times and waiting times during peak periods.

* They require little space.

* They are accessible to passengers with impaired mobility and wheelchair users because the cabin floor is level with the platform.

* They can be equipped with wireless connection allowing direct audio/CCTV communication between cabins and stations.

###################################

Rio-de-Janeiro-Cable-Car.jpg

Metrocable.jpg

maokong.jpg

God what an ugly landscape. Those tall poles look so horrid.

I advocate Personal Swanboat Technology! We can build viaducts above the street, and utlize the sewer system where necessary. How come planner did not thnk of this 40 years ago?

If Toronto wants to go elevated {which is in most cases not only practible but feasible aswell} something like this maybe a good alternative............ www.monometro.com It's actually not a Monorail {thank god because it will keep everyone off my back} because is has two rails. One is currently under construction and another may be built for London2012 as it is a mass transit mover and a British company. The site has some great pics and videos. Note how incredibly small the footprint/pylons are. They look incredibly modern but not clumsy or over bearing like many elevated systems. In most instances I think would add to urban landscape.

If Toronto wants to go elevated {which is in most cases not only practible but feasible aswell} something like this maybe a good alternative............ www.monometro.com It's actually not a Monorail {thank god because it will keep everyone off my back} because is has two rails. One is currently under construction and another may be built for London2012 as it is a mass transit mover and a British company. The site has some great pics and videos. Note how incredibly small the footprint/pylons are. They look incredibly modern but not clumsy or over bearing like many elevated systems. In most instances I think would add to urban landscape.

Well if it makes ya feel better, I'm with you on the monorails. I think a suspended SAFEGE monorail would be great for the DLR (heavy rail capacity, minus the costs of going undergound).

Back