News   May 08, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.8K     3 

agent orange was used in canada! veterans sick & dieing!

D

dan e 1980

agent orange was used in canada! veterans sick & dieing!

Agent Orange probe hits military bases across Canada
Nov. 17, 2005. 01:00 AM
CHRIS MORRIS
CANADIAN PRESS

FREDERICTON—A federal defence official says Ottawa's probe into the use of Agent Orange and other toxic herbicides at a military base in New Brunswick will expand across the country.

Karen Ellis of the Department of National Defence said a two- to three-year review will be launched to look at herbicide spraying at every base in Canada.

Ellis said yesterday the department is unaware of Agent Orange testing anywhere other than Canadian Forces Base Gagetown in New Brunswick, but veterans are looking for answers on all herbicide spraying.

"We will be looking at the whole history of spraying on each and every base ... across Canada," she said.

Ellis was in Fredericton for a news conference announcing a new co-ordinator for the federal fact-finding mission relating to the testing of Agent Orange and other powerful defoliants at Gagetown by the U.S. military in the 1960s. Former N.B. health minister Dennis Furlong will head the probe that's been expanded to look at all herbicide spraying at the base from the 1950s to the 1980s when dioxin — the toxic contaminant in the sprays — was banned in Canada.

Veterans in New Brunswick are becoming restless at the amount of time the probe is taking, and the lack of general compensation for people who say their health was harmed by the sprays.

"Veterans' Affairs doesn't seem to understand that we're dying," said Gagetown veteran John Chisholm, who attended the news conference announcing Furlong's appointment.

"We're dying faster than the rate at which this here program is progressing."

Chisholm will be among a group of veterans in Ottawa today to address a parliamentary committee on national defence and veterans' affairs.

Only a handful of veterans have seen any compensation as a result of the defoliant spraying at Gagetown, and there is growing pressure on Ottawa to compensate all veterans and civilians from the base area who believe their health was harmed by the spray programs.

Agent Orange, best known for its use by the U.S. military during the Vietnam War, has been linked to health problems ranging from cancers to skin disorders. It was applied liberally across Canada in the 1950s and '60s to clear forest areas.

it's just sick.

dioxins are one of the most toxic chemicals known to man.
agent orange for vietnam was produced near waterloo ontario. they should do some testing there.a dioxin legacy we are leaving the future is our use of PVC plastic. don't ever burn or heat PVC.

Re: agent orange was used in canada! veterans sick & die

he's not actually burning PVC.

p.s, that looks very dangerous and very illegal.

i bet he has no problem with snow in the winter. ;)

drunknsubmrnr, what do you think about the agent orange thingy?

I have to say that I'm not surprised with the Agent Orange bit. DND has never been exactly shy about doing this sort of thing to it's own troops.

i've seen pictures of what this stuff does. it's horrible.

is there any way to clean the lands where this stuff was unleashed?

do you think they might have used this stuff at downsview?

It washes off pretty quick. Unless they used a LOT of it, the lands will be fine. It's only really dangerous to the people that actually ingested the stuff.

I doubt they used it at Downsview. There are no forests to defoliate.

dioxins are also produced by certain types of volcanic eruptions.

Back