News   Jul 16, 2024
 183     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 935     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Advice on What to Do With my Life (Midlife Crisis?)

I'd also agree with the idea of going to the islands for a few years. I was in a similar situation as you are, Wiggy, in that I graduated as a teacher in my mid-20's couldn't find a job (during the mid 90's) and went overseas to teach English for a few years and had the time of my life. I travelled around Asia and met so many interesting people. Unfortunately for me I stayed longer than I planned (off and on until 2003) and ended up back in Canada after having missed a great hiring boom to find the jobs gone again. So it took a few years to get back into the system, although if eventually happened.

However, the experience of getting away from Canada and learning a bit more about the world and the different ways people live and do things was invaluable. Now I only wish I'd done the backpacking in Europe thing when I was in my early 20s.

The biggest issue is losing references and work experience while away, so you are guaranteed a slow return to the Canadian job market when (or if) you return. But you are young enough that a few years away likely won't kill your chances for a career here.

Canada isn't going anywhere so I say go for it.

Yes, keep in touch with your friends while you're away - in my case the first two jobs I got on returning to Toronto in 1980 after my two year absence were based on recommendations from friends here.

I'm not too worried about finding a decent job if/when I would return to Canada. There will always be subbing jobs or worst case scenario teaching positions in Northern or smaller communities. Not ideal but it's there. My resume and references are strong, and I can always embellish them a bit if they become outdated. I have a strong network of contacts and friends to help with that. I am more worried about a 5 year gap in earning/pension/ and how that would affect my future.

On the positive side, my living expenses in Greece would be close to nil in terms of housing for a while so I would likely be able to save more over there than working in Toronto for a couple years.

Well... some great advice and perspectives here. Thanks a bunch. It's calmed me down a little.

It's funny, everyone I've asked or talked to about it have encouraged me to go. I was wondering if that was due to them wanting a friendly face and place to crash if they were to holiday in Greece ;)

Seeing the same advice from total strangers is nice.

I'd go to Greece in an instant. If your Greek is good, maybe you can make some $ doing tours for rich westerners!

When I was on Mykonos in the summer of '78 I used to gaze at the big yachts moored offshore and wonder if some considerably less toad-like version of Ari would send a launch ashore and spirit me away from the sand and squalor of the beach community, to live a deliriously hedonistic and profoundly superficial jet-setting life of endless parties and high-living for the rest of my days. Fortunately, it didn't happen and I met a very nice Greek-American artist at Super-Paradise beach and we had a great old time for a few weeks.

When I was on Mykonos in the summer of '78 I used to gaze at the big yachts moored offshore and wonder if some considerably less toad-like version of Ari would send a launch ashore and spirit me away from the sand and squalor of the beach community, to live a deliriously hedonistic and profoundly superficial jet-setting life of endless parties and high-living for the rest of my days. Fortunately, it didn't happen and I met a very nice Greek-American artist at Super-Paradise beach and we had a great old time for a few weeks.

Sounds quite idyllic--I'm guessing things weren't as overrun by tourists back then...or has it been a well known spot for ages?

(reminder to self--visit the Aegean someday)

Greece, schmeece. I'd rather stay here
dawna_krynica_patria.jpg

Brian69: Mykonos was very touristy, even then, with an international jet set crowd renting large villas up in the hills and several loud, flashy discos drawing the crowds in the town. The straight nude beach - Paradise - was popular; the gay nude beach - Super Paradise - even more so, naturally. I doubt if the back-packing, sleeping-bags-on-the-beach scene that I belonged to is still happening though - unless the Echo Boom sons and daughters of that crowd are taking a sentimental journey. Interestingly, I just Googled Yiannis Nomikos who I had a mad fling with that summer 30 years ago, and he was part of a group show at the Leslie/Lohman Gay Art Foundation in New York earlier this year, so I'm delighted that he's still going strong.

Back