News   Jul 16, 2024
 163     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 913     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Advice on What to Do With my Life (Midlife Crisis?)

Wiggy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am fishing for some suggestions so maybe if you have some time to spare you can post your input.

I am 29. I graduated as a teacher 2 years ago and have been working as a sub but I hate it. The work is far from steady, full time positions are nearly impossible to get, and future prospects for stable work does not look promising for new teachers due to a number of reasons I won't bore you with. Basically I am done with it.

I am smart (or at least have some papers that indicate I am smart). I worked hard at university, spent 6 years there and have 2 bachelors degrees and believe I could easily shift into another career here, possibly with a government agency. I am confident I could land a decent job that will give me security.

The problem is, is that I have an opportunity to move to Greece and try out a life over there, on an island no less.

My biggest worry is that if I go over there for 5 years, and fail or find out it's not for me, I will be in my mid 30's with little money and will be starting from scratch again. With the cost of living, real estate etc, I feel like I will be seriously hurting my future security if things don't work out over there.

On the other hand, I have had a taste of what it's like to be a working 'professional' and I am not sure I like it so much. The thought of working and living in a country that seems to value the balance of work and living so much more is very appealing, not to mention the weather, food, people, water etc. The medical is private there but if anything major happens, I could always move back to Canada.

I do have family over there, so it's not as scary as a blind leap, but it's still a bit frightening for me, albeit a unique and exciting opportunity.

Anyone out there who has any wisdom to share? I'd love to hear it.

29 is mid-life now? Yikes.

Seriously, go. It's your life, and if you're not happy, only you can make the required changes. I know too many miserable people living life the way they think they are "supposed to" rather than the way they want. Too many people are trapped in jobs they hate because they're too scared to make a leap. The longer you wait, the less likely you'll be to make a move, and the more you will regret it later in life.

You're not going to Greece to sit on a beach and piss away your savings. You're going to work, although I'm guessing the pay in Greece is less than here, so is the cost of living. Live modestly, put away a little each month, and in the worst case scenario you'll come back to Canada in a few years with some foreign work experience (never a bad thing) and a new outlook on life. People switch jobs and careers all the time these days, you won't be unusual, and if you're highly educated, smart and open-minded there will always be opportunities for you.

Remember: it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't. A cliche, but in my life I've found it to be true. Those who grab the bull by the horns and make things happen seem to be the happiest.

I agree, and you'll find out within a year max if that's what you want to do.. and a year wont really put you behind anythnig... you can move back and start fresh in '09

Living on a Greek island has always been a dream/fantasy of mine. If you're being offered that opportunity (with family support, even) jump on it. Save your money so when/if you come back, you have something to fall back on.

In conclusion: dude, it's a Greek island! They make movies about that shit!

I think what you're referring to is a Quarter Life Crisis. If I were you I'd go. It's not as though you have to stay for 5 years if things don't work out...and you'll get some experience.

You're not old either. When you're 85 do you really think you'll care that you really got your career going at 33 as opposed to 29?

I'm looking to do something similar, but having a business makes it difficult. So, if I were in your position, I'd take full advantage of the opportunity.

Consider yourself very lucky, you're only 29 and it sounds like you've already figured out that the status quo sucks. Most people don't get to that point until it's too late and then they spend the rest of their life drinking themselves into a permanent stupor. I'm 55 years old and I just started a family, I make my living traveling to cities all over the world, taking some photographs and then selling them. I spend as much time as I want with my kids and so does my wife. If I live to 85, it means I have my adult life to live over again. You have 2 adult lives left, enjoy them to the max.

It's nice to have the ability to reflect like this at 29; congrats on your ability for self-assessment.

I will only add to the comments already here that eventually you will find a mate. This mate is important to your future happiness as well as those of (any) children that you will have or adopt.

This mate should be:

*Reasonably good looking. This is important for the usual shallow reasons and some perfectly good reasons too. Business and social life and advancement will come easier for both of you if your mate is good looking.

*Rational, reasoning and calm. Your mate should be all of these. Life will be less stressful with a mate that can relate to you, his or her career and the world in the best possible manner.

*Reasonably fit and active. My wife and I were fencing partners for years. She's gone on to more solitary activities but you don't want a mate destined for a wheelchair at 60 for no good reason.

I'm sorry if any of this sounds cruel; at 52, I've been around long enough to give SOME life advice.:eek:

Wow.

A lot of you really hit the nail on the head in terms of my reasons for wanting to leave Canada. I do hate the status quo. That's why I'm so hesitant to buy a home or even a new car. I don't want to lose my freedom. I am also scared of the possibility of surviving without the thought of a pension, benefits etc because it's all I've known up to this point in terms of likely career paths for me.

I get these excited feelings to just leave. I think I've made my mind up then I get pangs of fright and wonder if I can give up the things I love about a big urban center like Toronto.

I know it's a romantic notion - to move to a Greek island, and I have stayed there for many months before in the past. It is beautiful but also foreign to me. Especially with work and career. I will likely be doing a small business or taking on my father's work, and as an academic with little 'hands-on' experience, it's a strange feeling to think that I might be my own boss. Who knows though. It seems so much more open-ended over there. I could end up in a university maybe.

It is a big change and I guess these feelings of apprehension are natural. I'm not a big risk-taker but look where that's gotten me up to now.

I love taking photos, you are very lucky androiduk to be able to do this kind of work. Or maybe it's not luck but rather a decision to make it work.

As for a mate, believe me, some of the most beautiful women can be found on this island. The question is if their minds are just as impressive.

And I guess you're right, it's a quarter-life crisis... or at least we hope. apologies.

Too many people are afraid to take a chance and end up living the 'coveyer belt' of life (find a job, get married, have kids, shit themselves and then die). I say, you are young, take a chance and go for it. Don't think twice, this is the time to do it.

My friend left for Greece (his homeland) a few months ago and I don't believe he will be coming back. It's a different kind of life. It's far more relaxed, less focus on killing yourself over making money and more focus on family.

29 is still young, go out and do it for a year, maybe 2 years max. Heck, your timing may be good since the economy is heading downward.

Although, I'm glad you're still thinking about the future too, at least this will keep you grounded with a sense of direction.

I made a post about moving to Seoul.. well we're close in age.. I'll be 28 this year..

GO FOR IT... you only live once

/advice

I spent a couple of years, between the ages of 25 and 27, travelling in Britain and the Continent with several months travelling in Greece - especially Crete, as well as Santorini, Mykonos, Tinos, Athens, Delphi and the Peloponnese. I don't think I'd want to backpack and sleep on beaches now, but it was fun to do it then. It's nice to travel around and wonder, when you get up in the morning, where you'll end up that evening and enjoy the open-ended freedom that gives you. Also, travelling on your own, you can be sociable when you want to be and solitary when you want to be. It also gives you a good perspective on the benefits of living in Toronto.

Back