News   May 28, 2024
 693     1 

Adding Subway Stations on Existing Lines

accura407

Car is King
Member Bio
Reaction score
I was reading this article on the Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/news/article...-building-has-plenty-of-rust-and-roaches?bn=1

Location http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...134,-79.280074&spn=0.001573,0.002411&t=k&z=19

Just by looking at the location, i was wondering...couldn't the TTC build a very cheap barebones outdoor "Rosedale/Davisville" style subway station at Firvalley Court? I don't know what the Station name should be but i think looking at the distance between Victoria Park and Warden Stations it should be feasible...

So since the neighbourhood is in dire need of repair but yet is so strategically located, let the TCHC Sell of the neighbourhood and find another area nearby that is in a better state of condition rather than repairing an old area. Think Regent Park style development but with more market units...

This small but very valuable neighbourhood near Warden Woods could be sold of to developers for complete high density redevelopment with the following 3 requirements:

A) The Developers pay for 100% of the new subway station (which should be quite cheap considering its 2 side platforms on existing tracks outdoors.

B) Put money into building a newer and better Warden Woods Community Centre

C) Put in a certain % of affordable units or what not that would be available for the working-poor so that the entire neighbourhood doesn't have to move out...

Surely this is something that is actually possible to do considering the low costs and potentially high return in a nice scenic area. By doing this project, the city can actually see if taking on bigger private sector arrangements like Sheppard is even possible...

This would be a great place to start if the future of Toronto is all about developers building subway stations...

Last edited:
I agree. It's very clear that the model of "stick all the poor people in one place" doesn't really work. Redevelop this area as a transit-oriented, mixed-use, mixed-income development. A surface subway station would be relatively inexpensive, probably even less expensive than the recent upgrades done to GO stations, as the platforms would be shorter.

The area on the other side of Warden is already seeing a tremendous amount of redevelopment, so doing it on the west side of the street as well wouldn't really be out of place.

I agree. Adding a new subway station in the middle of an existing line is not new for the TTC (read: North York Centre station, which was opened in 1987, 13 years after both Sheppard (Sheppard-Yonge since 2002) and Finch stations opened).

There is strong potential for redevelopment as well and would help with providing accessibility. The station should be called either Firvalley or Leyton (after nearby streets) or Warden Woods (after the neighbourhood). Therefore, it is easier to construct this station than to construct North York Centre station.

I thought that Birchmount could also be added between Warden and Kennedy.

Birchmount is far too close to Warden, and the tunnel runs under Birchmount near Foxridge Dr. The cost to build a station would be enormous, and there is absolutely nothing on Birchmount between St. Clair, and Eglinton except for some industry, a cemtery, and low density housing.

Regarding building a station near those TCHC buildings: Screw redevopment. Is that what you people think subways are for? To make money for developers and pushing the unfortunate out? Why not just build a station, so it's easier for those folks to access transit? Not that you can build a station easily in that area anyways. I walked along the subway line between Warden, and Vic Park, and there are a lot of challenges to overcome. The station won't be cheap to build.

Regarding building a station near those TCHC buildings: Screw redevopment. Is that what you people think subways are for? To make money for developers and pushing the unfortunate out? Why not just build a station, so it's easier for those folks to access transit? Not that you can build a station easily in that area anyways. I walked along the subway line between Warden, and Vic Park, and there are a lot of challenges to overcome. The station won't be cheap to build.

It's not about pushing people out, it's about creating a mixed-income neighbourhood that isn't avoided by everyone who can afford to avoid it. As long as it has the same number of rental units that it does now, I see no reason why redeveloping it to make it less of a stigma neighbourhood is a bad thing.

A subway right beside a neighbourhood is no use to that neighbourhood if there's no stop within walking distance.

I agree. Adding a new subway station in the middle of an existing line is not new for the TTC (read: North York Centre station, which was opened in 1987, 13 years after both Sheppard (Sheppard-Yonge since 2002) and Finch stations opened).

Yup. North York Centre was pre-planned though, same as Willowdale on the Sheppard line, there are a couple of spots that were left open on the Yonge line between Eglinton and Lawrence, and Lawrence and York Mills.

Even though I don't think a stop between Victoria Park and Warden was pre-planned, because it's above ground I don't think it would be as challenging engineering-wise to insert a station than it would be if it was tunnelled.

And one other thing to remember is: given the location by Taylor/Massey Creek, there may be environmental issues to deal with in installing a station here. (Indeed, said "environmental issues" probably help explain the enlightened 60s planning behind the Firvalley Court building--and if the picturesqueness of the building's circular form counterpointing w/parkland seems familiar, it's by Howard Chapman of Riverdale Half-Round fame.)

So, rather than an overwrought "new station" gesture, I'd rather encourage (with a Mayor's Tower Renewal bow) respectful rehabbing of what exists. And as the article indicates, there already *are* the rudiments of residents caring, in a proprietary way re landscaping etc. So: think small, think intimate, think community...

They could add a Davenport Station too.
According to Google it's 270 metres from Davenport to the entrance to Dupont station.

Why don't we just eliminate the tunnels, and replace them with an endless sequence of platforms; the train could then just move along a single train-length at a time.

Why don't we just eliminate the tunnels, and replace them with an endless sequence of platforms; the train could then just move along a single train-length at a time.
They have that on Chicago's Red Line...it's pretty cool. Longest subway platform in the world.

It's not about pushing people out, it's about creating a mixed-income neighbourhood that isn't avoided by everyone who can afford to avoid it. As long as it has the same number of rental units that it does now, I see no reason why redeveloping it to make it less of a stigma neighbourhood is a bad thing.

I like EnviroTO's suggestion: respectful rehabbing of what exists, an infill station for better access to transit, and community enhancements ie, more services, recreational activities for youth, and just providing residents with things to do. Redevelopment can't, and shouldn't be the only tool to improve neighbourhoods.

A subway right beside a neighbourhood is no use to that neighbourhood if there's no stop within walking distance.

Why do people advocate station spacing of 1 -2km then?

Yup. North York Centre was pre-planned though, same as Willowdale on the Sheppard line, there are a couple of spots that were left open on the Yonge line between Eglinton and Lawrence, and Lawrence and York Mills.

Were the spots actually left open on Yonge or were they just eliminated from the original plan? There's a big hill between Lawrence and York Mills that might get in the way of a theoretical Glen Echo station.

According to Google it's 270 metres from Davenport to the entrance to Dupont station.

Plus Davenport at Spadina Rd/Baldwin Steps is not exactly a most major intersection.

Back