News   Jul 15, 2024
 442     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 587     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 571     0 

A Walk Around South Rosedale

thanks for the original tour shots and to others who have contributed historical background. Rosedale has been on my list of places to shoot for a few years now. Next year for sure though. I tend to think that those who seem to be detractors of what is clearly a jewel of an historic neighbourhood and who cant differentiate between classic works of architecture and modern schlock are either jealous or delusional or both.

Deepend: Thank you for your tour of Aurora ("the horror, the horror...."). Perhaps these pictures will stop all this nonsensical talk of McMansions in relation to Rosedale, as if your original pics weren't proof enough.

A few more Rosedale gems:

Thom House, 54 South Drive (1881):
thomhouse188154southdrive.jpg

Lorne Hall, 3 Meredith Cr. (1876):
lornehall.jpg

Lord Thomson's House, 8 Castle Frank (1926):
8CastlefrankRd1.jpg

Historical picture from 1912 of a house still standing: the William Meredith house at 41 Binscarth, for sale last spring, listed for $7.9M:
meredithestate.jpg

Those monstrosities in Aurora are quite the sight to behold. The segmented roofs and the fake stone facade are enough already, but the copper? Why, Jesus, why????
When I imagine who buys a place like that, I see a young couple, of a certain Southern European decent, with their parents, going "Oh. My. Gawd. It's gorgeous! And that coppah, it's so shiny!"

Where's my vomit bucket?

Those monstrosities in Aurora are quite the sight to behold. The segmented roofs and the fake stone facade are enough already, but the copper? Why, Jesus, why????
When I imagine who buys a place like that, I see a young couple, of a certain Southern European decent, with their parents, going "Oh. My. Gawd. It's gorgeous! And that coppah, it's so shiny!"

Where's my vomit bucket?

don't forget the stucco ... why they wouldn't just continue the brick is beyond me, unless it was a work in progress before the credit crunch.

and look how close they are to their neighbours ... maybe 5 feet each side ??!!??
if it was in TO where land is more expensive and not as abundant, i could see why, but this is in Aurora !

Tewder could probably confirm this, but when our little expeditionary force drove through Oakville yesterday afternoon I swear it looked as if some of the new McMansions are built right next to considerably older mansions - and it was difficult to tell them apart. I don't think a newfaux/oldfaux cosying-up in Rosedale would be much different if there were any vacant lots there to build on.

Tewder could probably confirm this, but when our little expeditionary force drove through Oakville yesterday afternoon I swear it looked as if some of the new McMansions are built right next to considerably older mansions - and it was difficult to tell them apart. I don't think a newfaux/oldfaux cosying-up in Rosedale would be much different if there were any vacant lots there to build on.

oh, man! you never know when to stop!

maybe from a moving vehicle "it was difficult to tell them apart". how fast were you going? was it dark? what was your blood alcohol count?

trust me: under "ideal conditions", that is in the presence of things such as sobriety, daylight, sanity, or an open mind, there are massive differences.

actually, there is a fair smattering of very high end Faux mansions here in Rosedale...maybe a dozen, some "better" than others. not one monstrous EIFS folly in the bunch though, thank god. (there's a GIGANTIC house going up across the road from KPMB's Sheff House on Glen Road that i am a bit worried about however....) most of them are brick with decent precast, and relatively un-fussy. there seem to be a few architects that have cornered the market here....

oh, man! you never know when to stop!

maybe from a moving vehicle "it was difficult to tell them apart". how fast were you going? was it dark? what was your blood alcohol count?

trust me: under "ideal conditions", that is in the presence of things such as sobriety, daylight, sanity, or an open mind, there are massive differences.

actually, there is a fair smattering of very high end Faux mansions here in Rosedale...maybe a dozen, some "better" than others. not one monstrous EIFS folly in the bunch though, thank god. (there's a GIGANTIC house going up across the road from KPMB's Sheff House on Glen Road that i am a bit worried about however....) most of them are brick with decent precast, and relatively un-fussy. there seem to be a few architects that have cornered the market here....

In reference to the Sheff House (probably one of the best buildings ever done by KPMB), perhaps there is a trend towards "de-subdivision" in Rosedale, returning to the days of the great estates that founded Rosedale (interestingly, the house you refer to across Glen Road is the result of the owner on the ravine buying the house next door and joining the properties together; both properties were part of the original Gooderham estate on Glen Road I illustrated in my historical overview).

Of course, the epitome of this trend was the controversial Reisman/Schwartz estate on the SE corner of Crescent and Cluny, the result of assembying a number of houses (to the consternation of the neighbourhood).

clunycrescent.jpg

Of course, the epitome of this trend was the controversial Reisman/Schwartz estate on the SE corner of Crescent and Cluny, the result of assembying a number of houses (to the consternation of the neighbourhood).

oh that monstrosity ... :mad:

All this talk about McMansions is starting to sound as pretentious as the twits on styleforum.net. All of these various `modern` architectural mutant horrors are being built because some moneyed sods are willing to pay for them. For all those objecting to these so-called eye-sores ( well beauty is in the eye of the beholder) are you able to financially buy them. Better yet care to post images of your current house so to display your fine taste in style etc?

All this talk about McMansions is starting to sound as pretentious as the twits on styleforum.net. All of these various `modern` architectural mutant horrors are being built because some moneyed sods are willing to pay for them. For all those objecting to these so-called eye-sores ( well beauty is in the eye of the beholder) are you able to financially buy them. Better yet care to post images of your current house so to display your fine taste in style etc?

i have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

US, I was along Lakeshore yesterday on a gorgeous fall afternoon and was dismayed by what I saw, in terms of design I should specify. The latest trend in McMansion expansion seems to be the faux-chateau. Not the castle and turret sort but a vaguely mock Louis XIII kind with grey stone masonry, marble statuary and slate roof etc. They are appearing everywhere creating a sort of suburban Marais district. It's alarming frankly and I just can't understand what connection they have to 'roots' in design, heritage or geographic etc.

Alas, yes you are correct though that these baronial piles are popping up everywhere, cheek by jowl with the few heritage structures that remain, the larger lots that once surrounded them being parcelled off to just such development.

Back