News   Sep 12, 2024
 80     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 175     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 832     0 

A true late 70s landmark bites the dust...

adma

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
...the well-corroded space frame at the Bay/Charles Apartments. They were dismantling it today...

That's unfortunate, though you can tell it's only a matter of time. Having said that, the site would make a very nice parkette.

AoD

What? No!

That's really upsetting. I saw the construction site, but didn't realise that's what they were up to. The dismantling of Charles St. continues apace...

Why was it only a matter of time, AoD?

The condition of the space frame--it was pretty rusty and grotty and hadn't seen a coat of paint or *anything* in years.

*That* gave the "just a matter of time" feel--nothing that a little regular maintenance couldn't have overcome; after all, the whole ensemble is 70s-style "enlightened urbanism" at its best, sort of what Dickinson/Benvenuto urbane apartment-living glam might have been like in 1979. (And as such, maybe the last glimmer of faint urbanspace hope for Bay.)

The apartments there are still nice - and huge, in that 1970s way. Weren't the Azurians trying to convert the Gay-Charles Tower to condos a couple of years ago?

I assume they still are. The buildings aren't bad looking themselves its just the tacky open space that was making the whole thing look like a housing project. If $1-2 million were put into the courtyard and retail space the whole impression would be much greater. Have you looked into the window of the convenience store from Bay street, there's literally garbage piled in the window. Where the landlord? Well I suppose that's behind the whole conversion.

I have a lot to learn about architecture if I am understanding correctly that the metal canopy had any redeeming features. Good Lord!

I'm also confused about complaints about Charles. As I see it, every building without exception from Bay to University is excellent, perhaps the most eclectic collection in the city. All that's needed is a few of the proejects to get completed and the sidewalk widened.

I have a lot to learn about architecture if I am understanding correctly that the metal canopy had any redeeming features. Good Lord!

Well, if one thinks of Miesian/Bucky Fuller/Expo-style lineage, such free-form space framing did convey a certain fashionable high-tech architectural/urban enlightenment in the 60s and 70s. Unfortunately (as evidenced here), it's the devil to maintain--perhaps if it had been properly corrosion-proofed and painted regularly, some of those inherent redeeming features might have come to fore...

I walked through there yesterday... it looks a heck of a lot better now without the so-called space frame. All they need to do is plant some more trees, landscape it a bit and then do something about cleaning up the exterior of that fugly section which connects the 2 buildings.

Does anyone have a pic of what this was? I am at a total loss for figuring out what was there.

It's still a very fine looking building, I suppose conversion to condos happens over time like up at Scaramouche? Do they go unit by unit as people leave or floor by floor. Hopefully they something first rate with the exterior at ground level there are wonderful possibilities.

Honest to god, the space frame looks pretty good in that photo--I rest my "enlightened urbanism" case.

It's the same as with Walnut Hall; an "eyesore" born out of neglect, rather than design...

Same goes for the Plaza of Nations spaceframe that was renoved last month in Vancouver - it was condemned due to corroded joints.

Back