News   Jul 16, 2024
 575     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 716     2 

A Streetcar can go backwards?

Kitsune

Member Bio
Reaction score
ok... I always heard a streetcar could not go backwards... however I just witnessed one going backwards. Is this something new?

ok... I always heard a streetcar could not go backwards... however I just witnessed one going backwards. Is this something new?

I've heard going in reverse can case damage to the overhead, so it is usually avoided.

If you visited the carhouse's from time to time, you can see them doing this for testing the breaking system. There is video or 2 up on my site showing this in action.

Have seen cars backing up for blocks due to problems on the line in front of it or them. During the G20 event, All Queen 501's Westbound that got caught up in the police block at Spadina (about 10??), were backup to Shaw St so they could go east to the yard.

The current power poles make reversing quite difficult, esp. over any junctions where wires split. Apparently the new streetcars, with pantographs, will have an easier time.

Streetcars are like regular cars, they can reverse, but you rarely see them doing it on the road, unless you can't get past an obstacle.

Back