News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

A Heritage Victorian House v.s. buying a condo in Downtown??!!

I currently live in a Heritage Victorian in Cabbagetown, and will be moving into a condo this year. I love the neighborhood, and the house, but the up-keep is just way too much.

- Leaky roofs
- Termites
- Bad insulation
- Raccoons and Squirrels
- Backed up sewers

With that said, I have some regrets about selling...

maybe sell it to me...send me more info? I love cabbagetown...Lol

I currently live in a Heritage Victorian in Cabbagetown, and will be moving into a condo this year. I love the neighborhood, and the house, but the up-keep is just way too much.

- Leaky roofs
- Termites
- Bad insulation
- Raccoons and Squirrels
- Backed up sewers

With that said, I have some regrets about selling...
Indeed, this is precisely the stuff I was talking about. That said, you can get leaky roofs, termites, bad insulation, raccoons and squirrels, and backed up sewers in older non-heritage non-Victorian homes too.

I meant home insurance. I must've been really tired when I typed that.

Many older homes outside the downtown core--west of Dufferin for example--can still be bought cheaper unrenovated, with knob and tube intact. I highly recommend buying a pre-renovated house. Buying an updated house means you're paying at least a $100,000 premium on something that really costs less than $40k to correct.

Unrenovated means crappy dated kitchen, ugly paint, bathroom that you want to re-tile/modernize, older windows (even from the 1980's) that leak noise and heat, roof that needs replacing, etc.

Renovated means spending $100-$300k more than you really need to--I'm cheap.:)

Last edited:

Back